This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac T-shirts

mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts Contributor

I don't know if this was my doing or if other people asked for it too. I asked butyoudontlooksick.com to start making Celiac Disease Sucks t-shirts. They already had Fibromyalgia ones and Lupus. And they wrote back to me and said they had added them. Check it out:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Hmmm. I don't really like the negative aspect of that slogan. The goal, in my opinion, is to catch the disease early in life...speaking of children here, and since it's a lifelong condition, I'd prefer a positive approach. I prefer the "No grain, no pain" slogan as well as the "silly Yak" slogan. Since so many people are unaware of Celiac disease, this whole "SUCKS" slogan might be the first impression a person will have. No one does well with negativity. People back away from things that will cause them discomfort, or things they can't do something to make better.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Hmmm.  I don't really like the negative aspect of that slogan.  The goal, in my opinion, is to catch the disease early in life...speaking of children here, and since it's a lifelong condition, I'd prefer a positive approach.  I prefer the "No grain, no pain" slogan as well as the "silly Yak" slogan.  Since so many people are unaware of Celiac disease, this whole "SUCKS" slogan might be the first impression a person will have.  No one does well with negativity.  People back away from things that will cause them discomfort, or things they can't do something to make better.

yeah, I don't like the negative thing either because I personally do not think it sucks. I also don't want people I first meet and tell about celiac to feel bad for me. I don't want sympathy...I'm happy with the way I am and proud to be gluten free :D

Thanks for posting the link though...they have some cool items...I wonder if they could make them with a different slogan

Emme999 Enthusiast

I love the slogan! It takes a serious subject and deals with it with humor. Plus - it will also get people to ask you about it, then you can *smile* and tell them about it and take away any negativity. :)

But - this does suck! I mean, seriously! I would love to get one of these shirts and wear it to a bakery or a pastry shop or whatever - maybe that would get the attention of some of the owners and get them to consider making food that people with celiacs disease can eat :)

I agree that we shouldn't make our lives out to be horrible or anything like that - but maybe if others realize that this does "suck" then they will be more inclined to help us out :) I'm getting kind of sick of saying, "Ya.. I have to avoid gluten but that's all right! It's not that big of a deal" and then putting forward my best Pollyanna smile ":D" No! I DO want people to know that this is hard and that I do need help & support. Absolutely!

I love these shirts. I'll be ordering a couple ;) Thanks for the link!!

- Michelle :wub:

mytummyhurts Contributor

Good points, Michelle! I like them because they reach out and grab people. I think that (the braver) people will say, "Hey, what's celiac disease?" And this will give you an oppurtunity to talk about it. And the disease really does suck when you are going through ten years of horrible pain and symptoms to only find out it would of been so easily solved. I just think that the shirt is simple enough to really grab peoples attention.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I just don't think it sucks, so I'm not a fan of the slogan. (I'm fine with negativity for humor ;-), I just disagree.) But hey, the more options the better!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the link though...they have some cool items...I wonder if they could make them with a different slogan

Maybe we could all get free hoodies with our user name on the back, and the celiac.com icon on the front! (the one with a C crossing out the wheat) I like that idea :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Eloisa

Those would be cute.

veggf Newbie

I love it. It is funny. It is frank. Some days that phrase just sums it up. I think that the shirts would help raise awareness the same amount that any other "celiac shirt" would.

I have to say this--I have Celiac Disease, it is frustrating, an inconveinence, and at times scary=it sucks. But I am learning to cope with it. I don't feel blessed to have the disease and I don't feel that gluten is evil/bad for all humans, gluten just doesn't work for me and other Celiacs. We're all handed things to deal with in life, and Celiac Disease is what I have to deal with. Humor helps me cope. The shirts make me laugh.

Thanks for sharing the shirts with all of us. And thanks to everyone for our diverse opinions.

Have a Good Day!

phakephur Apprentice

I would rather have a shirt that says "the ubiquity of wheat sucks!"

tarnalberry Community Regular
I would rather have a shirt that says "the ubiquity of wheat sucks!"

That one I can agree with! ;-) I would definitely buy that shirt - and no small part of that is your use of the word ubiquity! ;-)

Guest Eloisa

Maybe if lots of people would wear these shirts it would spike the interests of the media and we'd get more stories on the news. This would definitely make more people aware of Celiac and what we have to avoid.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I have a blue shirt that says "Wheat Sucks!" in white lettering.

I like that one the best....

flagbabyds Collaborator

I have my whole gluten free atire in my closet

"Kiss Me, I'm Gluten Free"

"Celiacs bake it better"

"Sans Gluten"

"Food Allergies, please don't feed"

"I'm gluten Free"

"Gluten Free Flower"

"Gluten Free"

I think that's it :)

plantime Contributor

OK, maybe I spent too many years working in a fabric/crafts store, or maybe too many years too poor to buy fancy-sloganned shirts! What is stopping any of us from buying plain tshirts and sweats, and using fabric paints and stencils to put our own celiac designs on them? Nothing that is copyrighted, of course, but original art!

mytummyhurts Contributor

Yeah, I've thought about doing that too. I just haven't thought of anything cool yet.

Guest BERNESES

I love the "Wheat Sucks!" or "Kiss me, I'm Gluten Free" where did those come from? I'd love to get one!

celiac3270 Collaborator

Oh, gosh, I've been away too long. I was in Chicago for a GIG conference and I had an amazing time...my first more than one day conference and I was in gluten-free heaven! Met some great people, too. But I came back to five pages of new posts...I'll be here till 3 AM, lol.

I'm not a huge fan of celiac disease sucks, either. I only have one type of celiac shirt--got it at a Columbia Presbysterian family screening fair where they also had some talks...anyway, it says Columbia University Celiac Disease Center or something in small letters on the front, and on the back in big comical letters it has "Got Celiac?" I wore those shirts during the GIG conference and everyone kept asking me where to get them :)

Will post of my full experience later.......

jenvan Collaborator

www.neighborhoodies.com

go here--was thinking of making a gluten t-shirt on this site. they have awesome t-shirts, hoodies etc. very cool. i have a hoodie from there that says 'van hut'--a combo of my maiden and married last names :)

connole1056 Rookie

I think celiac disease does suck and I love the t-shirt. I think every disease sucks, but celiac is worse than some because it is not as well-known as others. If I saw a shirt like the one described and did not know about it, I would probably ask about it. It may help people learn about something that is likely effecting a much larger percentage of the population than anyone can guess. Humor is a wonderful teaching tool. But I would not let a young child wear something with "sucks" on it. Funny thing, when my daughter complains about celiac disease she always tries to slip in "sucks" and tries to get away with it!

• 2 weeks later...
julie5914 Contributor

Yeah, I think the idea is that we would like a cure, so it does suck to have it. It doesn't suck as much some other diseases I can think of, but it does still suck. I think a lot of us were just so relieved to finally figure out what was wrong with us that we embrace Celiac disease as the cure and not the problem because we started feeling better when we found out we had it. The point is that we shouldn't settle for less than the best. This is a disease that with more awareness and research could one day have a vaccine or a pill. As the saying goes "Any publicity is good publicity." I don't necessarily agree with that saying in every circumstance, now, but I think when the end result is awareness of a disease, it's true!

jenvan Collaborator

perhaps 'gluten sucks' is better than 'celiac sucks', and i'm sure some feel using the word 'suck' on a t-shirt in any form, well, sucks. :lol:

celiac3270 Collaborator
perhaps 'gluten sucks' is better than 'celiac sucks', and i'm sure some feel using the word 'suck' on a t-shirt in any form, well, sucks. :lol:

Yes. We can all agree that gluten sucks. :)

Emme999 Enthusiast

Hey, I saw a funny quote the other day...

"Gravity doesn't exist - the Earth sucks!"

tee-hee :) (I know, not related to celiac disease - but funny!)

- Michelle :wub:

mytummyhurts Contributor

I totally understand that some people do not like this word and I can sympathize with them as there are some words out there I don't like to hear or read on people's shirts.

I do like the idea of saying something about gluten. Maybe something on the front of a shirt that says "Gluten Free Zone" or "Gluten Bites!"

Archived