34 replies to this topic

#1 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:41 PM

I don't know if this was my doing or if other people asked for it too. I asked butyoudontlooksick.com to start making Celiac Disease Sucks t-shirts. They already had Fibromyalgia ones and Lupus. And they wrote back to me and said they had added them. Check it out:

http://www.cafepress.com/bydls/669450

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:50 PM

Hmmm. I don't really like the negative aspect of that slogan. The goal, in my opinion, is to catch the disease early in life...speaking of children here, and since it's a lifelong condition, I'd prefer a positive approach. I prefer the "No grain, no pain" slogan as well as the "silly Yak" slogan. Since so many people are unaware of Celiac disease, this whole "SUCKS" slogan might be the first impression a person will have. No one does well with negativity. People back away from things that will cause them discomfort, or things they can't do something to make better.
I believe in God.

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:05 PM

Hmmm.  I don't really like the negative aspect of that slogan.  The goal, in my opinion, is to catch the disease early in life...speaking of children here, and since it's a lifelong condition, I'd prefer a positive approach.  I prefer the "No grain, no pain" slogan as well as the "silly Yak" slogan.  Since so many people are unaware of Celiac disease, this whole "SUCKS" slogan might be the first impression a person will have.  No one does well with negativity.  People back away from things that will cause them discomfort, or things they can't do something to make better.

yeah, I don't like the negative thing either because I personally do not think it sucks. I also don't want people I first meet and tell about celiac to feel bad for me. I don't want sympathy...I'm happy with the way I am and proud to be gluten free :D
Thanks for posting the link though...they have some cool items...I wonder if they could make them with a different slogan
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:32 PM

I love the slogan! It takes a serious subject and deals with it with humor. Plus - it will also get people to ask you about it, then you can *smile* and tell them about it and take away any negativity. :)

But - this does suck! I mean, seriously! I would love to get one of these shirts and wear it to a bakery or a pastry shop or whatever - maybe that would get the attention of some of the owners and get them to consider making food that people with celiacs disease can eat :)

I agree that we shouldn't make our lives out to be horrible or anything like that - but maybe if others realize that this does "suck" then they will be more inclined to help us out :) I'm getting kind of sick of saying, "Ya.. I have to avoid gluten but that's all right! It's not that big of a deal" and then putting forward my best Pollyanna smile ":D" No! I DO want people to know that this is hard and that I do need help & support. Absolutely!

I love these shirts. I'll be ordering a couple ;) Thanks for the link!!

- Michelle :wub:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#5 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:47 PM

Good points, Michelle! I like them because they reach out and grab people. I think that (the braver) people will say, "Hey, what's celiac disease?" And this will give you an oppurtunity to talk about it. And the disease really does suck when you are going through ten years of horrible pain and symptoms to only find out it would of been so easily solved. I just think that the shirt is simple enough to really grab peoples attention.

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:06 PM

I just don't think it sucks, so I'm not a fan of the slogan. (I'm fine with negativity for humor ;-), I just disagree.) But hey, the more options the better!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for posting the link though...they have some cool items...I wonder if they could make them with a different slogan

Maybe we could all get free hoodies with our user name on the back, and the celiac.com icon on the front! (the one with a C crossing out the wheat) I like that idea :D
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#8 Guest_Eloisa_*

Guest_Eloisa_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:52 PM

Those would be cute.

#9 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:28 PM

I love it. It is funny. It is frank. Some days that phrase just sums it up. I think that the shirts would help raise awareness the same amount that any other "celiac shirt" would.

I have to say this--I have Celiac Disease, it is frustrating, an inconveinence, and at times scary=it sucks. But I am learning to cope with it. I don't feel blessed to have the disease and I don't feel that gluten is evil/bad for all humans, gluten just doesn't work for me and other Celiacs. We're all handed things to deal with in life, and Celiac Disease is what I have to deal with. Humor helps me cope. The shirts make me laugh.

Thanks for sharing the shirts with all of us. And thanks to everyone for our diverse opinions.

Have a Good Day!

#10 phakephur

phakephur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:55 AM

I would rather have a shirt that says "the ubiquity of wheat sucks!"

#11 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:43 AM

I would rather have a shirt that says "the ubiquity of wheat sucks!"

That one I can agree with! ;-) I would definitely buy that shirt - and no small part of that is your use of the word ubiquity! ;-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#12 Guest_Eloisa_*

Guest_Eloisa_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:42 AM

Maybe if lots of people would wear these shirts it would spike the interests of the media and we'd get more stories on the news. This would definitely make more people aware of Celiac and what we have to avoid.

#13 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:52 PM

I have a blue shirt that says "Wheat Sucks!" in white lettering.

I like that one the best....

#14 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:27 PM

I have my whole gluten free atire in my closet
"Kiss Me, I'm Gluten Free"
"Celiacs bake it better"
"Sans Gluten"
"Food Allergies, please don't feed"
"I'm gluten Free"
"Gluten Free Flower"
"Gluten Free"
I think that's it :)
Molly

#15 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:23 PM

OK, maybe I spent too many years working in a fabric/crafts store, or maybe too many years too poor to buy fancy-sloganned shirts! What is stopping any of us from buying plain tshirts and sweats, and using fabric paints and stencils to put our own celiac designs on them? Nothing that is copyrighted, of course, but original art!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: