34 replies to this topic

#16 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:12 PM

Yeah, I've thought about doing that too. I just haven't thought of anything cool yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

I love the "Wheat Sucks!" or "Kiss me, I'm Gluten Free" where did those come from? I'd love to get one!

#18 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:00 PM

Oh, gosh, I've been away too long. I was in Chicago for a GIG conference and I had an amazing time...my first more than one day conference and I was in gluten-free heaven! Met some great people, too. But I came back to five pages of new posts...I'll be here till 3 AM, lol.

I'm not a huge fan of celiac disease sucks, either. I only have one type of celiac shirt--got it at a Columbia Presbysterian family screening fair where they also had some talks...anyway, it says Columbia University Celiac Disease Center or something in small letters on the front, and on the back in big comical letters it has "Got Celiac?" I wore those shirts during the GIG conference and everyone kept asking me where to get them :)

Will post of my full experience later.......

#19 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:53 AM

www.neighborhoodies.com

go here--was thinking of making a gluten t-shirt on this site. they have awesome t-shirts, hoodies etc. very cool. i have a hoodie from there that says 'van hut'--a combo of my maiden and married last names :)
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#20 connole1056

connole1056

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:15 PM

I think celiac disease does suck and I love the t-shirt. I think every disease sucks, but celiac is worse than some because it is not as well-known as others. If I saw a shirt like the one described and did not know about it, I would probably ask about it. It may help people learn about something that is likely effecting a much larger percentage of the population than anyone can guess. Humor is a wonderful teaching tool. But I would not let a young child wear something with "sucks" on it. Funny thing, when my daughter complains about celiac disease she always tries to slip in "sucks" and tries to get away with it!

#21 julie5914

julie5914

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, I think the idea is that we would like a cure, so it does suck to have it. It doesn't suck as much some other diseases I can think of, but it does still suck. I think a lot of us were just so relieved to finally figure out what was wrong with us that we embrace Celiac disease as the cure and not the problem because we started feeling better when we found out we had it. The point is that we shouldn't settle for less than the best. This is a disease that with more awareness and research could one day have a vaccine or a pill. As the saying goes "Any publicity is good publicity." I don't necessarily agree with that saying in every circumstance, now, but I think when the end result is awareness of a disease, it's true!
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05

#22 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:42 PM

perhaps 'gluten sucks' is better than 'celiac sucks', and i'm sure some feel using the word 'suck' on a t-shirt in any form, well, sucks. :lol:
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#23 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:39 PM

perhaps 'gluten sucks' is better than 'celiac sucks', and i'm sure some feel using the word 'suck' on a t-shirt in any form, well, sucks. :lol:

Yes. We can all agree that gluten sucks. :)

#24 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:02 PM

Hey, I saw a funny quote the other day...

"Gravity doesn't exist - the Earth sucks!"

tee-hee :) (I know, not related to celiac disease - but funny!)

- Michelle :wub:

#25 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:32 PM

I totally understand that some people do not like this word and I can sympathize with them as there are some words out there I don't like to hear or read on people's shirts.

I do like the idea of saying something about gluten. Maybe something on the front of a shirt that says "Gluten Free Zone" or "Gluten Bites!"

#26 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:33 PM

My husband just contributed:

"The Gluten Stops Here"

:D

#27 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:37 AM

that's cute Ab... :D
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#28 Kailynsmom

Kailynsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:11 AM

I like the idea of Celiac t-shirts. Did y'all know they're making celiac awareness bracelets now too?
Mom to Kailyn (Gluten Free Toddler after celiac disease diagnosis) and Emma (lactose intolerant)

#29 celiachap

celiachap

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:36 PM

How about:
Celiacs just say "NO" to gluten!

I didn't like the original saying (or the politics behind it) for "drugs", though. I think that Nancy Reagan was the one that started it.
Diagnosed with Celiac March, 2005: Positive endoscopy, blood tests and biopsy. Gluten free since March 2005.

Retested Jan. 2006: Negative blood tests: "Results do not support a diagnosis of celiac disease. Serological markers for celiac disease were not detected."

Results for 2006 endoscope/biopsy pending.

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong.
-Thomas Jefferson

Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.
- Robert Green Ingersoll

#30 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:51 PM

To Kailynsmom: Oh yeah...University of Chicago, University of Maryland (where I got mine), and Melonie (from Yahoo group, Silly Yaks) sells them.

Edited by Coulter, 30 June 2005 - 04:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: