Priest Almost Glutened Me!

• Please log in to reply

32 replies to this topic

#16 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

This topic is moving from Kate's concerns to a discussion of which religion is right and which ones are wrong. That is not appropriate, as our first rule says to respect everyone.

The Catholic church holds that Communion is valid in either kind--it is not necessary to receive both. I am not Catholic, but I respect their beliefs.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 K8ling

K8ling

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

ok I love you and all the input but you really can't fault me for not wanting to get sick. And I consider myself a good catholic. The point was I almost got glutened, managed not to, and will avoid it next week. I am going to try 1/4 of a "low gluten" host next week, but I got so sick last week that I couldn't risk it this week. It would have magnified any other reaction.

This is not a religious debate it's about me being sick with something that GOD gave me and having to cope with it. We are looking for alternatives. The fact is, I am a Catholic and therefore entitled to take communion. I won't make a habit of switching but I haven't really got a choice if it makes me too sick. I'll find a way to make it work "legally".
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#18 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:49 PM

K8ling, I'd like to share some thoughts and solutions with you privately. Would that be okay? I am a catechist and have many resources at hand.

#19 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

K8ling, I'd like to share some thoughts and solutions with you privately. Would that be okay? I am a catechist and have many resources at hand.

Thats fine. As of right now I am going to try a tiny piece of the "LG" host next week after my stomach is better.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#20 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:14 AM

If I offended anybody, I'm sorry. I'm (quite obviously) NOT Catholic. I was just wondering about the transubstantiation thing as an intellectual puzzle. I don't think ANYBODY'S religion is right (the joy of being an atheist) so call me an equal-opportunity disbeliever. But I also respect that everyone gets to have his/her own opinion on the matter. I'm not trying to insult - just explore.

#21 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:43 AM

If I offended anybody, I'm sorry. I'm (quite obviously) NOT Catholic. I was just wondering about the transubstantiation thing as an intellectual puzzle. I don't think ANYBODY'S religion is right (the joy of being an atheist) so call me an equal-opportunity disbeliever. But I also respect that everyone gets to have his/her own opinion on the matter. I'm not trying to insult - just explore.

If you want an answer to transubstantiation you may want to talk to your local priest. Most will be happy to talk to you.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#22 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

If you want an answer to transubstantiation you may want to talk to your local priest. Most will be happy to talk to you.

I actually live across the street from a cathedral. But their doors are usually locked unless there's a service or wedding or funeral in process. The trouble is catching the priests! They are busy dudes. I will try, though. I am honestly curious. I only know what I've either picked up or been taught in European History class.

#23 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:53 AM

I actually live across the street from a cathedral. But their doors are usually locked unless there's a service or wedding or funeral in process. The trouble is catching the priests! They are busy dudes. I will try, though. I am honestly curious. I only know what I've either picked up or been taught in European History class.

You could also try the library for info if you can't catch a priest or try calling the rectory and make an appointment to talk.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#24 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:29 AM

If the cathedral has a website, see if there's email contact for the priests. I've often found it easier to contact them that way because, as you say, they're busy dudes. :) They can check email in their off-times when they have a few minutes to spare.

#25 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:40 AM

ok I love you and all the input but you really can't fault me for not wanting to get sick. And I consider myself a good catholic. The point was I almost got glutened, managed not to, and will avoid it next week. I am going to try 1/4 of a "low gluten" host next week, but I got so sick last week that I couldn't risk it this week. It would have magnified any other reaction.

This is not a religious debate it's about me being sick with something that GOD gave me and having to cope with it. We are looking for alternatives. The fact is, I am a Catholic and therefore entitled to take communion. I won't make a habit of switching but I haven't really got a choice if it makes me too sick. I'll find a way to make it work "legally".

We certainly don't fault you for not wanting to get sick! Like I've said before, right now receiving the Eucharist in the form of wine only works for me, but then our parish consecrates enough wine for everyone at all Masses. Another Catholic celiac friend attends a parish where there are a few celiacs. Their pastor invites them to receive communion first so that they can drink from a chalice with no risk of cross-contamination. Since the priest has to at least consecrate enough wine for himself to drink, maybe your pastor would be willing to consecrate a small chalice for you as well.

Or...if a smaller piece of the low-gluten host works, let me know. When we move away from our current parish, I'd love to know my options.

I have to say that I don't understand why the Eucharistic bread has to be made of wheat, either, and I do consider myself both devout and well-catechized. But that is a discussion for a different thread (or really, a different discussion board- there are many boards set up for the purpose of debating theology).

#26 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:26 AM

The cathedral does have a web site, but it's super-cheesy. It might, however, have a phone number!

... I am ashamed to say that I didn't even think of making an appointment with a priest. I guess I think of them as being above schedules? Or maybe I just didn't think enough. I will contact them.

#27 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

No need for to wait to talk to a priest. You can go online and read what the Church teaches in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Straight from the horse's mouth and more reliable than wikipedia. You can search transubstantiation and you'll get all the listings about it.

#28 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

I think the concept of communion is more symbolic in nature rather than in literal terms. So in my mind if it’s just recreating that symbolic act of the last super who cares what was in the “bread”, because symbolically it becomes Christ. I find it odd and a bit old school that the Catholic Church isn’t more up to the times. But I see your point that if it’s “miracle” per say that the body has now become Christ, you’d think people wouldn’t get sick of the “bread” product.

Since it’s symbolic, I would think that as long as the re-enactment is there, it shouldn’t matter if there is gluten in the bread or not. Have you tried going to the priest on off hours and asking them to do the blessing thing on say a couple pieces beforehand and then just taking your piece each Sunday with you (freeze the others, until next mass)? I don’t know if that would work, but it would be less chaotic for you. :D

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#29 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

Did you guys know that the Vatican has a web site extension thingy (like .com or .edu or .net) all to themselves? It's .va - how cool is that? They have their own web thingy!

ETA: I found my answer, at least as far as the Catholic Church's website is concerned.

The Council of Trent summarizes the Catholic faith by declaring: "Because Christ our Redeemer said that it was truly his body that he was offering under the species of bread, it has always been the conviction of the Church of God, and this holy Council now declares again, that by the consecration of the bread and wine there takes place a change of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the body of Christ our Lord and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of his blood. This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation."

Source

It doesn't address the actual Celiac people, though. I guess I'm not surprised. Celiac doesn't have THAT much press.

#30 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

I think the concept of communion is more symbolic in nature rather than in literal terms. So in my mind if it’s just recreating that symbolic act of the last super who cares what was in the “bread”, because symbolically it becomes Christ. I find it odd and a bit old school that the Catholic Church isn’t more up to the times. But I see your point that if it’s “miracle” per say that the body has now become Christ, you’d think people wouldn’t get sick of the “bread” product.

Since it’s symbolic, I would think that as long as the re-enactment is there, it shouldn’t matter if there is gluten in the bread or not. Have you tried going to the priest on off hours and asking them to do the blessing thing on say a couple pieces beforehand and then just taking your piece each Sunday with you (freeze the others, until next mass)? I don’t know if that would work, but it would be less chaotic for you. :D

We Catholics do not believe that the Eucharist is merely symbolic. But again, this is a discussion for another message board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: