21 replies to this topic

#16 gfblltgirl

gfblltgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

I haven't been gluten-free for very long - only a few months - and at first I got really upset about all the foods I couldn't eat. It's tough going to school and watching everyone around you eat gluten-packed snacks that you can barely look at. Of course I still have my bad days like everyone else where I feel really upset, but I have found a lot of great gluten-free foods to make those days better. Most supermarkets now have a great gluten-free area with frozen meals and other treats. Some of my new favorites are the different varieties of soft-baked cookies by enjoy life. So far I have had the snickerdoodle and gingerbread kinds and they are absolutely fantastic.
The key is to find a special treat and bring it along when you know everyone else will be eating things you can't. In my experience, it helps a lot to have something special of your own to munch on. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 K-Dawg

K-Dawg

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

Im sorry you are having a hard time of it. It would be tough at 14 yrs old. That makes you...grade 9? Yes, that's a hard age. When I was 14, I just loved hanging out with friends and I felt free. I wouldnt' have wanted to be tied in to a particular diet.

That said, there are so many great options these days and given that you mentioned your church group, I must say that it seems that any decent church would make it their mission to ensure you are included by having gluten free donuts available. Speak to the youth pastor. I"m sad that the church hasn't taken it upon themselves to rectify this, but I bet its' just an oversight.

The church likely has a kitchen and a freezer -- if the church doesn't do it, you just go ahead (well, get your parents to go ahead) and order some donuts on-line and stick them in the freezer.

KDAWG

Hi I am almost 14 and have been Gluten-Free for about a year and a half. I feel very alone. Every sunday morning at church all the kids in my youth group have donuts. I don't think I can even start to tell you how much I crave just being able to have one! I get very sick when I get glutened. I get a SEVERE stomach ache. I hate watching people eat stuff! It's not really that I crave it it is just having to watch them. Then I feel left out. I feel like I am trapped in this body that can't go to birthday parties because I feel paralyzed about getting sick. I feel so left out of things like going to the mall and getting some candy from the candy store. Just those little things I miss so much.

Many autoimmune disorders: Graves Disease in 1998, Psoriasis on or about 2000, Hashimoto's in 2008.

Severely anemic in 2007 (undetectable iron levels)

Elevated liver enzymes (ALT and AST) as of October 2008.

Negative blood test for celiac disease in February 2009, followed by diagnosis of celiac disease in April 2009 after positive biopsy.

#18 erinvarvel

erinvarvel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

I've been gluten free for about a year and a half now as well. It is difficult to watch others eat things you can't have. It's horrible how they can pick up a donut already made for them while we have to go through so much cooking to get donuts that are alright for us. I'd have to say we're lucky though that there are gluten-free versions of everything out there. I recently found out that eating gluten when you have Celiac Disease can cause cancer. Scary thought, huh? Anyway don't let this issue get you down. You can still do so many things.

#19 GFMochi

GFMochi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

I have been gluten free for over a year or so, and today, I still struggle with people eating food in front of me, it is not that I really want one, but the fact that I cannot, drives me crazy!!

What I have found helpful, is carrying little snacks that you enjoy and only eat them for a special treat! Like, now I have some hazelnut bars/wafers/cookie things, that are super good! Way better than the dougnuts I remember.
I also, have found a really good friend, who will say how terrible the food is, to help me feel better.

It is tough, but you are not alone! It does get easier :)

#20 jess_gf

jess_gf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago and I hate feeling left out, too. Or like I'm making things really complicated for everyone. But we have to take care of ourselves. I'm sure your friends and youthgroup wouldn't want to feel bad about it. Maybe talk to you mom and ask her to talk to your youth minister? Donuts aren't that healthy anyways :P Maybe it's time to start a new tradition! Maybe see if instead of (or in addition to) donuts they can buy a fruit bowl instead (the kind with watermelon, pineapple, cantelope etc). Or you and your mom could start making something to bring the night before to share, like gluten-free banana bread?
Gluten Free since 11/2010
Dairy Free since 01/2011

#21 mysteria2000

mysteria2000

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

Its kind of weird for me. In one respect i think its good to have this disease as it results in a overall healthier diet. But on the other side , contamination is very easy and is dangerous for us, and its also very hard. I have had for 6ish years now and i find i go through stages where is detest it. The bad thing is that in the beginning the doctors did not tell me the overall effects of it so i just kept eating gluten thinking the result would be a little sickness. I got so freaked out when i found out the opposite! At this point im going through a "i hate you disease" stage. I would so much love to have a burger or a regular pizza..or to be able to kiss my bf without being scared of cc. But i think this website helps. i just joined today and i feel a little bit better about it already.

#22 Live Love Twillight

Live Love Twillight

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

[quote name='lamegirl' timestamp='1286772104' post='645333']
Order some from Kinnickinick foods in Canada- they are pretty decent, bring one with you and eat the donut.

OMG i am sooooo glad u mentioned that!! I am in the US, n i am ADDICTED 2 Kinnickinick K-toos!!!!!! :D im a really picky eater, so if u r like that i think u shuld all try it!!! :D
"These violent delights have violent ends, and in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which, as they kiss, consume." ~Romeo & Juilet Act II Scene IV

I do not suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute of it.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself-everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings.

Be grateful for what you have today-you never know what tomorrow will bring. . .or take away.

Don't Worry Boys. . .I'm Gluten Free!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: