21 replies to this topic

#16 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

For me? In order to go completely gluten free, I had to drop my nuts - they are very hard to find without at least some level of CC.

If you are buying your meat and it's cut at the deli or at the meat counter at the grocery store - good chance of CC there, too.

supplements and medication - sadly, allergen free and gluten free, because they are legal terms, almost never mean 'zero allergens and zero gluten.' So if you are very, very sensitive (which can happen) they might be enough to make you sick.

Fruits and veggies - do you eat organic? some pesticides, I understand, can have gluten as binders. Mulch can involve straw from gluten containing grains for low growing veggies. Fruits can have sprays on them with gluten. If you peel all your fruits and veggies, that may help you ensure you're getting them gluten free as possible.

you also might want to take a look at fructose malabsorption - that can often result in intestinal distress and they think it can develop in people who already have gut issues.

Also, have they tested you for H. pylori? That's pretty common in celiacs and folks with gut problems, too. And I know it can cause a lot of acid reflux.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:19 AM

My son had bad GERD before diagnosis. Several GERD medications didn't touch it. He found that best thing was the gluten free diet without meds. Is is possible that the meds might have trace cc? GERD is one my my biggest gluten contamination indicators. Do you use spices? Some react to those, maybe try fresh only. I only eat nuts in shell which I shell myself. Otherwise, I react, but, I am very sensitive. Hopefully you aren't.

#18 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:36 AM

No offense meant, but are you overweight? The reason I'm asking is that I had such bad heartburn/GERD that I was on my way to the doc's to ask for Nexium or anything higher powered that the OTC stuff cause I was in such pain every night... if I didn't know it was heartburn/GERD, I'd have sworn I was having a heart attack.

The diet that you listed is pretty much exactly what I went on. I cut out almost ALL carbs and only rarely had 1/2 cup brown rice w/ supper or a piece of bread. I ate veggies, fruit, and lean meats. I lost 20 lbs over about 5-6 months and guess what?? Heartburn/GERD vanished! I finally realized that I was simply eating too much food at meals. Smaller meals really helped.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#19 gifree

gifree

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

No offense meant, but are you overweight? The reason I'm asking is that I had such bad heartburn/GERD that I was on my way to the doc's to ask for Nexium or anything higher powered that the OTC stuff cause I was in such pain every night... if I didn't know it was heartburn/GERD, I'd have sworn I was having a heart attack.

The diet that you listed is pretty much exactly what I went on. I cut out almost ALL carbs and only rarely had 1/2 cup brown rice w/ supper or a piece of bread. I ate veggies, fruit, and lean meats. I lost 20 lbs over about 5-6 months and guess what?? Heartburn/GERD vanished! I finally realized that I was simply eating too much food at meals. Smaller meals really helped.

Hi There -- No offense taken; nope, fortunately not obese. I did happen to put on a few extra lbs in recent years, but this diet has stemmed that trend; am 5'7" and weight 155lbs...and hope stay in/around this weight for sometime.

Anyhow, thx to everyone for their suggestions/comments. In response, I have had the H. Pylori check and it came back negative. I may in fact be sensitive to the claimed hypoallergenic supplements and Adderall. It may just simply be the Adderall. It would be a shame if I had to cut the Addy, as it's definitely helped and has a nice stimulative-effect to offset the fatigue.

As for my diet, I don't always eat organic, and based on my food allergy panel, am trying to stay away from the secondary sensitivities, but quite possibly I need to do more. I don't eat cold cuts from the deli any longer and likely cannot eat nuts straight from the can -- am a persistent bugger and had to figure this out the hard way.

As I mentioned in the original thread, my GERD has always been somewhat tame. Until I went on the gluten-free diet, the only symptom I was aware of, was the sensation of something small, like a piece of corn, being stuck in my throat. I don't have painful heartburn, etc. However, on the gluten-free diet, ironically, the symptoms have gotten progressively worse. I don't eat as much as I used to, but regardless, could certainly stand to eat smaller portions and not late at night.

Off to a new GI doc tomorrow...will let y'all know what I come-up with!

#20 marjean

marjean

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I found out 3 years ago I had celiac and have stuck w/ the diet religiously..In November I became very sick and excess acid coming up. I lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks..My throat was burned and couldnt eat anything..went to a GI and was told I have no hernia, ulcers, tuimors, etc. butthat I have Gerd..Im trying to stick w/ the Gerd diet, but he has me on Lasprazole(twice a day)..I feel better somewhat, occasionally having problems swallowing. I am wondering what vitamins I should be taking for Celiac, seeing as I was told no vitamins w/ Gerd. Also, I read on your forum that I shouldnt take Lansporazole for a long time, but he has me on it indefinatly..HELP!!

#21 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

You necro'd a dead thread :)

The issue with GERD is that it has this lovely habit of damaging your throat. It took mine about a year before i could get it to heal.

As for the medication, i had to cold turkey it because i became intolerent to it.

No vitamins with GERD? I don't think so, never heard that one. If pill taking is an issue, i'd focus on foods high in certain vitamins your lacking

#22 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I found out 3 years ago I had celiac and have stuck w/ the diet religiously..In November I became very sick and excess acid coming up. I lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks..My throat was burned and couldnt eat anything..went to a GI and was told I have no hernia, ulcers, tuimors, etc. butthat I have Gerd..Im trying to stick w/ the Gerd diet, but he has me on Lasprazole(twice a day)..I feel better somewhat, occasionally having problems swallowing. I am wondering what vitamins I should be taking for Celiac, seeing as I was told no vitamins w/ Gerd. Also, I read on your forum that I shouldnt take Lansporazole for a long time, but he has me on it indefinatly..HELP!!

What Shadow said.

Also have you been tested for SIBO? I was just diagnosed with it and given an intense round of anitbiotics (nasty) followed by probiotics and a lower-carb, no sugar diet. GERD is much, much better now!

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: