This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Keeping Up Motivation?

Emilushka

Emilushka Contributor

How do you make yourself work out even when you're tired from a Celiac relapse? This is my current Big Struggle. I originally started running because I wanted to do lifestyle changes to prove that my GERD wasn't getting any better (or hopefully fix it!) but after 9 months of GERD, turns out I had Celiac. So fast forward a month to now, and I'm just coming out of my first relapse/food intolerance experience. I have been feeling like crap. Today, I really don't want to run.

How do you guys keep in the swing of things when you feel horrible after a relapse? I know I can't avoid cross-contamination and slip-ups forever. I just don't know when I should push it and when I shouldn't.

And how do you make yourself want to run when you feel a bit more like you'd rather be a slug under a rock? Preferably a rock with trashy reality TV ...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tictax707 Apprentice

Honestly, I don't run. When I feel like crap and I don't want to run, I take that as a sign my body needs more rest. When I feel good or, if I want to run to not feel bad, I run. But my default position is to want to run. I love my training and when I can't swim, bike, or run, I am sad. I would say for the moment, since you are coming out of a relapse, your body is telling you that you need just a tad more rest. There should be a time soon when the "I feel like crap" goes away, and then you can run, and it will be enjoyable. :D

Jestgar Rising Star

Keep the timing. Put your running clothes on and go for a walk so you are still exercising during your exercise period. Don't replace it with tv because you're tired.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I agree with Jess, it's too easy to fall back into that pattern.

Emilushka Contributor

Honestly, I don't run. When I feel like crap and I don't want to run, I take that as a sign my body needs more rest. When I feel good or, if I want to run to not feel bad, I run. But my default position is to want to run. I love my training and when I can't swim, bike, or run, I am sad. I would say for the moment, since you are coming out of a relapse, your body is telling you that you need just a tad more rest. There should be a time soon when the "I feel like crap" goes away, and then you can run, and it will be enjoyable. :D

Yeah. I basically took today as a sign because I do really enjoy running. I did an easier workout instead today so that I wouldn't be a total lump.

Keep the timing. Put your running clothes on and go for a walk so you are still exercising during your exercise period. Don't replace it with tv because you're tired.

I did basically what you said, only I used the exercise bike instead. I find that a lot easier than running for whatever reason. So I used the exercise bike and it felt good. Hopefully tomorrow running will feel better!

I agree with Jess, it's too easy to fall back into that pattern.

Yeah. I totally agree. That's why I went for the bike instead of just laziness. But I did take days off when I felt like total crud, so it's not like I'm pushing myself unreasonably. It's awful when I don't do anything physically active. It feels unnatural!

sb2178 Enthusiast

Yes, adapt and deal with less than ideal when necessary. But, look for the difference between no motivation and sick. Not feeling like it because you haven't been absorbing calories is different from just feeling..."eh..." Biking is nice because it is lower impact and easier on the digestive system. Weight training, as much as I dislike it, allows you to easily stay inside and go at an easy easy pace if you like. Sign up for a not-intense race just for the goal of running, not so much for times.

Now, instead of running 5 times a week, I typically run 3-4 times a week. That'll hopefully increase again, but it's progress. And, I ran a 10-K yesterday at a pretty close to normal pace (30 sec slower per minute than last year) but not bad for almost no speed training recently.

A friend of mine just got a dog...

Emilushka Contributor

I recently ran my very first 5K. I'm a brand-new runner, and I was a LAZY kid and quite a lazy person up until I started working out a few months back. Now I use workouts as my mental health fixer, which works well unless I'm having a Celiac relapse.

The full-blown relapse time really did require a full break. I didn't even think about not working out. I just felt ill, and when I'm ill, I don't push it. I let my body heal.

There really is a fine line between "healing bleh" and "lazy bleh".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tictax707 Apprentice

True that about lazy vs. sick. It's where you need to be really honest with yourself about your feelings. Good for you for still doing something. I bet it helped you feel better too. :)

Emilushka Contributor

True that about lazy vs. sick. It's where you need to be really honest with yourself about your feelings. Good for you for still doing something. I bet it helped you feel better too. :)

It really did. When I feel semi-OK, the biking is a lot better than the running. I think it's all the bouncing and impact from the running. Shaking up my guts is just not the happiest thing to do when I'm on the fence about feeling OK.

But I really do need to get my cardiovascular system moving, and the exercise bike is a great way to do it. I think until my major exams (a cumulative 18 hours of standardized testing next week) are over, I'll just give myself free rein to either run or bike, as I see fit. Sometimes it's better to just take whatever activity feels OK.

And you're totally right - today felt good.

• 1 month later...
GlutenFreeAthlete Newbie

Like many have said, I usually just do what feels right at the moment when my system is down. I usually spin on my bike on a trainer for an hour, makes me feel much better, I try not to focus on the miles or distance at all!

Hope this helps.

Archived