3 replies to this topic

#1 Katy88

Katy88

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:28 AM

I have been unofficially diagnosed with Celiac for three years now, and it has taken me three years to fully understand a gluten free diet. Now I ask the question: Do grain fed livestock have an affect on my system?

Last month I went on a camping trip, and as I lay in a field of hay... I could only wonder if every breath I took was harming me...I know that gluten is only supposed to affect your digestive system, but if I am breathing it in, it follows through my nose and into my throat (and therefore absorbed through my saliva?)

As for eating chicken and beef, is that safe as well? There is a lot of labeling for purely grain fed livestock, but I have never hear of this affecting celiacs...

Any thoughts or experiences welcome!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:24 AM

It is generally accepted that meat is gluten-free no matter what the animal was fed. It is definitely not something that I worry about.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 cassP

cassP

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:00 AM

i doubt it is anything to worry about too. i DID read a recent study about gluten being found in human breast milk(from the mother's consumption).. and the author of the article suggested that it's a possibility that we may have a problem on our hands with grain fed dairy products..???
i try to get grass fed dairy at whole foods... but i dont stress when i have to get regular organic dairy. honestly, i probably should be avoiding dairy anyways.. but you know, baby steps...
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#4 scarlett77

scarlett77

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

I have been unofficially diagnosed with Celiac for three years now, and it has taken me three years to fully understand a gluten free diet. Now I ask the question: Do grain fed livestock have an affect on my system?

Last month I went on a camping trip, and as I lay in a field of hay... I could only wonder if every breath I took was harming me...I know that gluten is only supposed to affect your digestive system, but if I am breathing it in, it follows through my nose and into my throat (and therefore absorbed through my saliva?)

As for eating chicken and beef, is that safe as well? There is a lot of labeling for purely grain fed livestock, but I have never hear of this affecting celiacs...

Any thoughts or experiences welcome!

Well hay is usually alfalfa not wheat. Alfalfa is gluten free...but some farmers to rotate their fields to grow alfalfa during one season and wheat during another. So alfalfa can be CC'd.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: