21 replies to this topic

#1 rockectman

rockectman

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

I use to think eating crispy hard corn taco's were gluten-free, but after going to Taco Bell's web site, I found out otherwise.
http://www.yum.com/n...allergen_tb.asp
It is possible the grill is contaminated and I would think the taco meat seasoning might have gluten in it also.
Tostada's are listed as safe. Chicken salads are safe also.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 HardcoreDior

HardcoreDior

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

Hey,

Thank you very much for posting this. I've been eating mostly gluten free for about a year, but I am going fully and completely gluten free now. I'm realizing just how many things have gluten in them and the cross-contamination factor. . .

Anyway, I'm disappointed that another fast-food joint is being removed from my "safe" list, but I'm glad to know so I can avoid the ensuing pain.

So, again, thank you.

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

I bet Taco Bell fries everything in vegetable aka soy soil, which my system thinks is an evil invasion. Just thinking, have no proof to back up my hypothesis...
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 rockectman

rockectman

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hey,

Thank you very much for posting this. I've been eating mostly gluten free for about a year, but I am going fully and completely gluten free now. I'm realizing just how many things have gluten in them and the cross-contamination factor. . .

Anyway, I'm disappointed that another fast-food joint is being removed from my "safe" list, but I'm glad to know so I can avoid the ensuing pain.

So, again, thank you.

No prob. I am getting really depressed as to what one can eat now as far as fast food goes, especially travelling.
There is very little left besides salads, even then, you gotta watch the dressing, aka wendys ranch dressing killed
me last night, unbelievable, and here I thought I was doing good by have the chicken/pecan/apple salad. Darn!

#5 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,852 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:09 AM

No prob. I am getting really depressed as to what one can eat now as far as fast food goes, especially travelling.
There is very little left besides salads, even then, you gotta watch the dressing, aka wendys ranch dressing killed
me last night, unbelievable, and here I thought I was doing good by have the chicken/pecan/apple salad. Darn!

Wendy's lists the Ranch dressing as gluten-free. They don't list that salad, maybe because its new. I have a hard time gettting non gluten-free orders correct at fast food places because of language barriers, inexperienced workers, uncaring workers. I wouldn't trust them to make my food extra carefully. (Disclaimer: I realize not all fast food workers are this way but a lot of them are).

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

5 out of 4 people struggle with math.

math-problem-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 rockectman

rockectman

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:30 AM

Wendy's lists the Ranch dressing as gluten-free. They don't list that salad, maybe because its new. I have a hard time gettting non gluten-free orders correct at fast food places because of language barriers, inexperienced workers, uncaring workers. I wouldn't trust them to make my food extra carefully. (Disclaimer: I realize not all fast food workers are this way but a lot of them are).

Well I am going to start reading those ingredient labels on everything now, if I can, the print is usually so small and
I hate carrying reading glasses with me.....lol.

#7 Noni

Noni

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

Is there a list available of fast food restaurants that offer
some gluten-free items on their menu? This is another
area in which I'm totally uneducated. I was told
by a support group I belonged to that McDonald's
French Fries are gluten-free. I have
no clue if this is true. Can anyone help with this?
Noni

#8 precious831

precious831

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

I use to think eating crispy hard corn taco's were gluten-free, but after going to Taco Bell's web site, I found out otherwise.
http://www.yum.com/n...allergen_tb.asp
It is possible the grill is contaminated and I would think the taco meat seasoning might have gluten in it also.
Tostada's are listed as safe. Chicken salads are safe also.

I ate those things you mentioned and still got sick. I don't trust anything there anymore, there's just too much cc going on. They don't have a dedicated kitchen so I don't think anything is guaranteed gluten-free.
Grain-free,dairy-free, soy-free (celiac, possible colitis now as well).
Extremely allergic to shellfish, Aspirin & Ibuprofen

#9 Kelly&Mom

Kelly&Mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

We've had them bring out the ingredient list from the taco meat box at Taco Bell and Del Taco and the beef has wheat protein listed in the ingredients. Nothing fried there is good because they also fry the flour tortillas for the taco salads in the same oil. The chicken is OK. We get the bean cup minus the sauce, the grilled stuffed burrito minus the tortilla served on a bed of rice/lettuce, minus the sauce is pretty good :) The veggie works burrito served on rice with a classic chicken burrito minus the tortilla served on top is good too. You get some weird looks ordering but whatever! At Rubio's the chicken meat has flour but the steak (carne asada) is OK and very good.
Celiac disease, diagnosed 2/10, symptoms since I was about 13 or so. Mom died of non-Hodgkins lymphoma that originated in her intestinal tract at age 56

Daughter, 14 yrs. old, diagnosed 9/10 after about a year of stomach problems, eczema (now gone!!), also has IBS

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

http://www.tacobell....ition/allergens
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#11 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

http://www.tacobell.com/nutrition/allergens

Well, now I know where to go when I'm craving a little packet of salsa... Between gluten, milk and soy that's all I can get there. Good to know for road trips :rolleyes:

#12 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

Well, now I know where to go when I'm craving a little packet of salsa... Between gluten, milk and soy that's all I can get there. Good to know for road trips :rolleyes:

Well yes! But remember there is life out there..... ;) Wendy's is a good option :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#13 rockectman

rockectman

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

Well yes! But remember there is life out there..... ;) Wendy's is a good option :)

I am beginning to wonder if I should just eat anything and be happy for the short run or live long and
eat bland, hard to find gluten-free foods........naw...dont like the pains and side effects...will stick it out..

#14 afreeclimber74

afreeclimber74

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

Last time I looked, Taco Bell's hot sauce packet had wheat in the ingredients

#15 realmaverick

realmaverick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

We've just got taco bell in the UK. I wonder if they offer anything gluten free. Time too find out!
Main Symptoms
  • Extreme Fatigue
  • Anxiety, Brain fog
  • Sore Eyes

Diet and Supplements Started 23rd September 2010
  • 100% Gluten Free
  • Holland & Barratt, Vitamin B Complex. 100mg B1, B2, B6, B12
  • Holland & Barratt, Omega 3 Fish Oil. 1360mg x 2. 1900mg Active EPA/DHA
  • Mightidophilus, Enteneric Coated Probiotic. 20 Billion MO, 12 Strains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: