This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Taco Bell

rockectman

rockectman Rookie

I use to think eating crispy hard corn taco's were gluten-free, but after going to Taco Bell's web site, I found out otherwise.

Open Original Shared Link

It is possible the grill is contaminated and I would think the taco meat seasoning might have gluten in it also.

Tostada's are listed as safe. Chicken salads are safe also.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HardcoreDior Newbie

Hey,

Thank you very much for posting this. I've been eating mostly gluten free for about a year, but I am going fully and completely gluten free now. I'm realizing just how many things have gluten in them and the cross-contamination factor. . .

Anyway, I'm disappointed that another fast-food joint is being removed from my "safe" list, but I'm glad to know so I can avoid the ensuing pain.

So, again, thank you.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I bet Taco Bell fries everything in vegetable aka soy soil, which my system thinks is an evil invasion. Just thinking, have no proof to back up my hypothesis...

rockectman Rookie

Hey,

Thank you very much for posting this. I've been eating mostly gluten free for about a year, but I am going fully and completely gluten free now. I'm realizing just how many things have gluten in them and the cross-contamination factor. . .

Anyway, I'm disappointed that another fast-food joint is being removed from my "safe" list, but I'm glad to know so I can avoid the ensuing pain.

So, again, thank you.

No prob. I am getting really depressed as to what one can eat now as far as fast food goes, especially travelling.

There is very little left besides salads, even then, you gotta watch the dressing, aka wendys ranch dressing killed

me last night, unbelievable, and here I thought I was doing good by have the chicken/pecan/apple salad. Darn!

kareng Grand Master

No prob. I am getting really depressed as to what one can eat now as far as fast food goes, especially travelling.

There is very little left besides salads, even then, you gotta watch the dressing, aka wendys ranch dressing killed

me last night, unbelievable, and here I thought I was doing good by have the chicken/pecan/apple salad. Darn!

Wendy's lists the Ranch dressing as gluten-free. They don't list that salad, maybe because its new. I have a hard time gettting non gluten-free orders correct at fast food places because of language barriers, inexperienced workers, uncaring workers. I wouldn't trust them to make my food extra carefully. (Disclaimer: I realize not all fast food workers are this way but a lot of them are).

rockectman Rookie

Wendy's lists the Ranch dressing as gluten-free. They don't list that salad, maybe because its new. I have a hard time gettting non gluten-free orders correct at fast food places because of language barriers, inexperienced workers, uncaring workers. I wouldn't trust them to make my food extra carefully. (Disclaimer: I realize not all fast food workers are this way but a lot of them are).

Well I am going to start reading those ingredient labels on everything now, if I can, the print is usually so small and

I hate carrying reading glasses with me.....lol.

Noni Rookie

Is there a list available of fast food restaurants that offer

some gluten-free items on their menu? This is another

area in which I'm totally uneducated. I was told

by a support group I belonged to that McDonald's

French Fries are gluten-free. I have

no clue if this is true. Can anyone help with this?

Noni

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

precious831 Contributor

I use to think eating crispy hard corn taco's were gluten-free, but after going to Taco Bell's web site, I found out otherwise.

It is possible the grill is contaminated and I would think the taco meat seasoning might have gluten in it also.

I ate those things you mentioned and still got sick. I don't trust anything there anymore, there's just too much cc going on. They don't have a dedicated kitchen so I don't think anything is guaranteed gluten-free.

Kelly&Mom Rookie

We've had them bring out the ingredient list from the taco meat box at Taco Bell and Del Taco and the beef has wheat protein listed in the ingredients. Nothing fried there is good because they also fry the flour tortillas for the taco salads in the same oil. The chicken is OK. We get the bean cup minus the sauce, the grilled stuffed burrito minus the tortilla served on a bed of rice/lettuce, minus the sauce is pretty good :) The veggie works burrito served on rice with a classic chicken burrito minus the tortilla served on top is good too. You get some weird looks ordering but whatever! At Rubio's the chicken meat has flour but the steak (carne asada) is OK and very good.

Lisa Mentor
bridgetm Enthusiast

Well, now I know where to go when I'm craving a little packet of salsa... Between gluten, milk and soy that's all I can get there. Good to know for road trips :rolleyes:

Lisa Mentor

Well, now I know where to go when I'm craving a little packet of salsa... Between gluten, milk and soy that's all I can get there. Good to know for road trips :rolleyes:

Well yes! But remember there is life out there..... ;) Wendy's is a good option :)

rockectman Rookie

Well yes! But remember there is life out there..... ;) Wendy's is a good option :)

I am beginning to wonder if I should just eat anything and be happy for the short run or live long and

eat bland, hard to find gluten-free foods........naw...dont like the pains and side effects...will stick it out..

afreeclimber74 Rookie

Last time I looked, Taco Bell's hot sauce packet had wheat in the ingredients

realmaverick Apprentice

We've just got taco bell in the UK. I wonder if they offer anything gluten free. Time too find out!

bridgetm Enthusiast

I am beginning to wonder if I should just eat anything and be happy for the short run or live long and

eat bland, hard to find gluten-free foods........naw...dont like the pains and side effects...will stick it out..

After I missed a week of classes for doctor appointments and testing (finally had an endoscopy; negative biopsy, but "severe reflux") my lit prof told me I should take a cue from Thoreau and live off of air. Pain-free and enlightenment... If only it were possible.

WestCoastGirl Apprentice

I hate to say it, because trust me, I love junk food as much as the next person, but in a super-busy place like Taco Bell I really doubt you can trust that even the items listed gluten-free are not CCd. Honestly, the chances of someone grabbing a wheat-y flour shell and then grabbing your supposedly "gluten-free" item two seconds later with the same gloves on are high.

As I said, I'm not trying to be holier-than-thou; if I *could*, I'd probably eat junk food 24/7. ;) Yummers. But...a guarantee that there won't be CC at a fast-food joint? I can't see it. Le sigh...

• 2 weeks later...
MegRie Rookie

Holy Cow! Taco Bell was one of the few places I allow myself to eat when I'm in a hurry. It's weird though, I don't feel like really had any side effects from it. A little nauseous this morning, but maybe just because I read this post. I ate 3 crunchy tacos last night! I wonder why it didn't effect me more.

MegRie Rookie

Is there a list available of fast food restaurants that offer

some gluten-free items on their menu? This is another

area in which I'm totally uneducated. I was told

by a support group I belonged to that McDonald's

French Fries are gluten-free. I have

no clue if this is true. Can anyone help with this?

Noni

I don't think the FF at McDonalds are ok. I think they fry them in the same fryer as all the breaded stuff. BK's fries are good though!

• 2 weeks later...
katerzz Newbie

As far as fast foods:

Wendy's has the best gluten free menu. Their patties are gluten-free, chili, potatoes, many salads, grilled chicken, frostys.

Sonic is pretty safe.

In -n-out is safe except for their buns. Everything else is gluten-free.

Carls Jr has gluten-free options now.

Mcdonalds, taco bell, jack in the box has nothing as far as I am aware.

As far as cross contamination it depends on where you are. We have never once had that problem for my son or my husband. We have only eaten at Wendys and In-n-out though.

If you want to know whats safe, google it. For example "Wendys gluten free menu" just replace wendys with whatever restaurant you are looking for.

• 10 months later...
punkin513 Newbie

I bet Taco Bell fries everything in vegetable aka soy soil, which my system thinks is an evil invasion. Just thinking, have no proof to back up my hypothesis...

I work at Taco Bell and anything that is fried in our stores is UNSAFE for celiacs to eat. TACO BELL IS A NO NO! The problem is not our oil it's the fact that everything is fried in the same oil.

punkin513 Newbie

Holy Cow! Taco Bell was one of the few places I allow myself to eat when I'm in a hurry. It's weird though, I don't feel like really had any side effects from it. A little nauseous this morning, but maybe just because I read this post. I ate 3 crunchy tacos last night! I wonder why it didn't effect me more.

Taco Bell beef contains wheat, also the crunchy tacos contain gluten. :( I work at Taco Bell there isn't much you can have there. Just so you and everyone else knows all of our food has the major allergens listed on the box so if you really want to try something or confirm gluten you can ask them to bring you the box of beef, and tacos and see for yourself. Also keep in mind anything fried is cc because everything is fried in the same oil.

Check with the Taco Bell you go to because most taco bells fry the taco salad shells in the same fryers as gluten containing items so your looking at cc.

Archived