#1 GlutenNoMore

GlutenNoMore

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

I've been having issues with my stomach for years, but the past month or so it has gotten worse. I went to see a doctor who listened to me patiently and asked a lot of questions. She is testing me for wheat intolerance and vitamin deficiencies, thyroid, and put me on a Gluten Free diet. She also prescribed Diflucan for two weeks because of yeast. This was 11 days ago.

I did really well eating gluten free, until a mistake I made yesterday. I bought some oatmeal that I thought said gluten free, but after I got a stomach ache and numerous bathroom visits, I investigated and realized it said guilt free... My son laughs at me for that!

Well, today, my skin is dry and itchy, I'm really crabby and irritable, and when I tried to put my contacts in this morning, got a really horrible burning pain in my eyes. Kind of like putting soap in your eyes. I am very new to the gluten free lifestyle.. is it possible that all this is part of the reaction to consuming a non-gluten free item yesterday??
Alice

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

Yup!

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

Yea it sure could be related to the glutening. You may want to hold off on oatmeal for a little while also until you are well healed. Some of us don't tolerate even gluten free oats and you don't want to be taking chances right now. When you feeling better and have healed go ahead and add them back in to see if they agree with you.
I hope your feeling better soon.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 GlutenNoMore

GlutenNoMore

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

Thanks guys!

I just finished with an epsom salt bath, hoping my skin will feel better. I guess the eye burning really threw me for a loop! I will see if that will resolve on its own, too, while I continue to eat clean.

Ok, no more oatmeal, even the $5 bag of 'gluten free' stuff I just got. Is rice ok? I have some whole grain wild rice I ate last week, seemed to do good with it. All I had today was veggies and meat.
Alice

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:21 AM

Thanks guys!

I just finished with an epsom salt bath, hoping my skin will feel better. I guess the eye burning really threw me for a loop! I will see if that will resolve on its own, too, while I continue to eat clean.

Ok, no more oatmeal, even the $5 bag of 'gluten free' stuff I just got. Is rice ok? I have some whole grain wild rice I ate last week, seemed to do good with it. All I had today was veggies and meat.

Plain rice is fine as is wild rice. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are also going to be fine. Do keep up the clean unprocessed diet as that will help you heal the fastest.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 GlutenNoMore

GlutenNoMore

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:14 AM

Thank you for the response.

Been losing weight this way, too.. Gotta love that!!
Alice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: