This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ibs - A Disease Of It's Own Or Just A Symptom?

Courtney101

Courtney101 Rookie

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what your thoughts on IBS are? My doctor mentioned it to me, and after doing some basic research on it, I'm not sure I feel like this is a true diagnosis. It seems to me that "Irritable bowel syndrome" is just the name given to a group of symptoms. But I am finding it hard to find anywhere the cause behind the symptoms. Where's the scientific basis behind it?

I don't know, it just kind of seems like perhaps this is the diagnosis they give you when they can't find what's really wrong with you. I could be seeing this entirely wrong, since I'm really not that knowledgeable about it. I'd love to know other people's thoughts.

Thanks,

Courtney

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AlysounRI Contributor

I = I'm

B = Basically

S = Stumped

It's a lazy lump diagnosis for doctors who are not willing to get to the bottom what the symptoms are really indicating.

mushroom Proficient

I think you've hit the nail on the head fair and square. It's a waste basket diagnosis when they can't think of anything else, although a lot of doctors take it very seriously :unsure:

And even precsribe medications for it. To alleviate some of the symptoms without attempting to find the cause :rolleyes: Most of us on here have been diagnosed with IBS at some time in the past.

AlysounRI Contributor

And even precsribe medications for it. To alleviate some of the symptoms without attempting to find the cause

I got the "I'm Basically Stumpted" from this board :)

A lot of docs even try to prescribe anti-depressants for it - I suppose they figure it's related to anxiety.

But to prescribe anti-depressants for your stomach/intestinal tract just seems wrong somehow, you know???

WheatChef Apprentice

It seems to me that "Irritable bowel syndrome" is just the name given to a group of symptoms.

That is actually the official medical definition of a syndrome. It is nothing more than the grouping of symptoms to which the doctor is not aware of the cause of yet. It's use as a diagnosis is pretty much the hallmark of a lazy/irresponsible doctor. They're basically having you come in, tell them your symptoms and then charging you for the honor of them giving it a name. There is no cause of irritable bowel syndrome, there is no cure, this is because it does not exist. All that there really is to IBS is a matter of semantics, you say the list of symptoms, your doctor says IBS, you're both saying the same thing and are both no where near closer to fixing or even finding the problem.

Courtney101 Rookie

I'm so glad that others feel the same way. As for prescribing medications for it, I think that's aweful. It's only masking the symptoms, not treating the cause. Some doctors seem to have no idea.

My dad has always had digestive issues, had all the testing done years ago (including celiac) and everything came back negative. So of course he was told he had IBS and sent home with no real answers. Recently his symptoms have got worse, so he's just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, and is still waiting for results. But the doctor who did these procedures handed him an IBS info sheet as he left. How reassuring is that?

I'm just worried that I'm going to end up in the same position, but deep down, I know there has to be something else going on. My grandma has also had similar problems all her life. I personally don't see the liklihood that 3 generations could have IBS and nothing else.

gf-soph Apprentice

I was given the IBS "diagnosis" when I had positive gluten blood tests and a negative biopsy. I went gluten free and had great improvements, but still had significant problems. I had more testing recently and was given IBS again, and recommended low dose antidepressants. The dr said it wasn't to reduce anxiety but to improve the signalling within the gut.

I didn't go on them, I went on an elimination diet instead, and was able to have several days with totally normal gut functioning. Now I'm wading through the endless process of food challenges, but I know that there is some combination where I will have a totally normal digestive system.

IBS is a description, and I don't need a dr to tell me when I can't digest properly! If a dr was happy with that, I wouldn't go back as they aren't trying hard enough.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shopgirl Contributor

A lot of docs even try to prescribe anti-depressants for it - I suppose they figure it's related to anxiety.

But to prescribe anti-depressants for your stomach/intestinal tract just seems wrong somehow, you know???

I'm not a fan of the IBS diagnosis either. That being said, though, there human gut produces serotonin and the theory is that anti-depressants that block the overproduction of serotonin in the gut

Skylark Collaborator

I agree with Shopgirl, and there is scientific evidence that abnormal gut serotonin signaling causes IBS in some people. The antispasmotics really help some people who seem to have gut motility problems. The big problem comes when doctors don't have the time or the inclination to dig deeper. Is it really only serotonin imbalance, or is there celiac disease, food intolerances, allergies, Crohn's, colitis, or some other underlying cause? I think doctors are too quick to hand out IBS labels and pills but it's partly because our society has pushed for cheap, fast health care and pills.

Archived