20 replies to this topic

#1 K8ling

K8ling

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

Dude. Seriously? We have a verifiable DISEASE. Quit trivializing what we go through. It made me so agitated.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bonnie blue

bonnie blue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

I so agree with you. Recently in our local paper they had all about the gluten free diet but a very small blurb about Celiac, it irritates the heck out of me, all those who follow the diet for the "new trend in diets" dont have the health concerns that we have, no worries of CC and can still walk into Pizza Hut anytime they want, just had to rant about that. :unsure:
Just takin it one day at a time :)

#3 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

Dude. Seriously? We have a verifiable DISEASE. Quit trivializing what we go through. It made me so agitated.

Did it not say anything about Celiac or gluten intolerance? I think someone needs to enlighten that magazine. If the person that wrote the article had just one of the symptoms it can cause, she would have a different opinion.

#4 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

It was a little box inside an article called "BIG LIES ABOUT FOOD ALLERGIES". Ugh.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#5 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

The magazines are full of it. If the fad diet brings us more safe products that are dedicated gluten-free, AWESOME. Otherwise, I'm sure the fad will pass and we'll be left with our trusted stand-by products.

Don't forget that people love a headline, and the headlines are what sell magazines. It's all BS. Let it roll off your back like a bad dream.

#6 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:14 AM

Good point. My husband said the same thing. And he added "Hey! Maybe you'll finally be able to get some gluten-free beer around here!" LOL

#7 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:57 AM

It was a little box inside an article called "BIG LIES ABOUT FOOD ALLERGIES". Ugh.

I read this also. The article mentions celiac in the last paragraph. It talks about wheat allergy and why some people "think" they need to be gluten-free. Then it was like..BTW some people have Celiac. At least that is what I took from the article. :(
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#8 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

Good point. My husband said the same thing. And he added "Hey! Maybe you'll finally be able to get some gluten-free beer around here!" LOL

If it brings you gluten-free beer?! That's a positive ha ha ;)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#9 stephsteph

stephsteph

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:42 AM

The alcohol store up the street from my house carries not one but THREE different kinds of gluten free beer :D

#10 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:06 AM

The alcohol store up the street from my house carries not one but THREE different kinds of gluten free beer :D

JEALOUSSSSS!!! We only have Bards and I don't really like it.

#11 WestCoastGirl

WestCoastGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

Did it not say anything about Celiac or gluten intolerance? I think someone needs to enlighten that magazine. If the person that wrote the article had just one of the symptoms it can cause, she would have a different opinion.

'Zactly. "What's behind the wheat-free trend?" Well, probably the fact that it makes so many of us puke and gives us cancer and vitamin D deficiency and additional autoimmune stuff and basically makes our life hell.

I mean if they really wanna know. ;)

- Determined gluten and dairy sensitivities via elimination diet
- DXd Hypothyroid December 2008 (Levothyroxine)
- Ongoing Vitamin D deficiency (rassessed every 3 months), DXd January 2010 (supplements)
- Gluten symptoms: mainly neurological, but some gastrointestinal (brain fog, depression, clumsiness, fatigue, D, bloating, DH)

~Getting my life back!~

#12 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:50 PM

I wish there were some sort of rule banning people who do not suffer from the effects of gluten being able to write these articles. I just feel like until you've been here it's impossible to imagine. I can't read them. They are there to sell magazines. Probably a 25 year old copywriter with a lame story idea up against a deadline. (Well, idea was handled in a lame manner)

#13 Brookesmom

Brookesmom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

Just wanted to add that my mom dropped by this article last weekend. She found it in a magazine at the hair salon. It *really* irks me. There was a whole "myths about allergies" in there too that trivialized food intolerances just because they weren't anaphalactic or something.

It particularly irks me that my mom gave me the annoying article too! Yay for mainstream media. Not!
01/2010: positive AGA and anti-tTG results from Enterolab; one DQ2 gene
eliminated gluten and hoping to heal thyroid and adrenals now

#14 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

Come on now. Do you really think big Wheat is going down without a fight? Nope. They are going to make us out to be insane so the truth that gluten is at the root cause of the three leading causes of death in this country doesn't get out.

They are going to keep printing this vacuous nonsense to create just enough doubt so that people happily go on eating their poison.

That is why it is up to every one of us to help people with what we know. I've personally changed 7 lives in the last few months just by spreading the word and being an example of how awesome getting off this crap is.

Seven people who were slowly suffering and dying and aren't anymore. Seven kinds of awesome. B)
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

#15 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:04 AM

It particularly irks me that my mom gave me the annoying article too! Yay for mainstream media. Not!

A co-worker gave me the same article.

I think some people are doing the fad gluten free diet because they see people like me who drop weight after going gluten free and then they think it's an easy way to lose weight. A different co-worker is doing just that. She tells me what she ate every once in awhile, she's not really gluten free but she thinks it's good enough for the diet. :( It makes me cringe.

Fad diets sell magazines, facts don't. (at least not for the most part) I used to be annoyed by articles and news clips on migraines. Once I saw a special report on migraines and the only "sufferer" they interviewed complained of one a year! Before going gluten free I was enduring as many as 18 days a month with migraine. Come to think of it I still am annoyed.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: