This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Article In Redbook

K8ling

K8ling Enthusiast

Dude. Seriously? We have a verifiable DISEASE. Quit trivializing what we go through. It made me so agitated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bonnie blue Explorer

I so agree with you. Recently in our local paper they had all about the gluten free diet but a very small blurb about Celiac, it irritates the heck out of me, all those who follow the diet for the "new trend in diets" dont have the health concerns that we have, no worries of CC and can still walk into Pizza Hut anytime they want, just had to rant about that. :unsure:

jackay Enthusiast

Dude. Seriously? We have a verifiable DISEASE. Quit trivializing what we go through. It made me so agitated.

Did it not say anything about Celiac or gluten intolerance? I think someone needs to enlighten that magazine. If the person that wrote the article had just one of the symptoms it can cause, she would have a different opinion.

K8ling Enthusiast

It was a little box inside an article called "BIG LIES ABOUT FOOD ALLERGIES". Ugh.

Emilushka Contributor

The magazines are full of it. If the fad diet brings us more safe products that are dedicated gluten-free, AWESOME. Otherwise, I'm sure the fad will pass and we'll be left with our trusted stand-by products.

Don't forget that people love a headline, and the headlines are what sell magazines. It's all BS. Let it roll off your back like a bad dream.

K8ling Enthusiast

Good point. My husband said the same thing. And he added "Hey! Maybe you'll finally be able to get some gluten-free beer around here!" LOL

CarolinaKip Community Regular

It was a little box inside an article called "BIG LIES ABOUT FOOD ALLERGIES". Ugh.

I read this also. The article mentions celiac in the last paragraph. It talks about wheat allergy and why some people "think" they need to be gluten-free. Then it was like..BTW some people have Celiac. At least that is what I took from the article. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Good point. My husband said the same thing. And he added "Hey! Maybe you'll finally be able to get some gluten-free beer around here!" LOL

If it brings you gluten-free beer?! That's a positive ha ha ;)

stephsteph Newbie

The alcohol store up the street from my house carries not one but THREE different kinds of gluten free beer :D

K8ling Enthusiast

The alcohol store up the street from my house carries not one but THREE different kinds of gluten free beer :D

JEALOUSSSSS!!! We only have Bards and I don't really like it.

WestCoastGirl Apprentice

Did it not say anything about Celiac or gluten intolerance? I think someone needs to enlighten that magazine. If the person that wrote the article had just one of the symptoms it can cause, she would have a different opinion.

'Zactly. "What's behind the wheat-free trend?" Well, probably the fact that it makes so many of us puke and gives us cancer and vitamin D deficiency and additional autoimmune stuff and basically makes our life hell.

I mean if they really wanna know. ;)

srall Contributor

I wish there were some sort of rule banning people who do not suffer from the effects of gluten being able to write these articles. I just feel like until you've been here it's impossible to imagine. I can't read them. They are there to sell magazines. Probably a 25 year old copywriter with a lame story idea up against a deadline. (Well, idea was handled in a lame manner)

• 3 months later...
Brookesmom Newbie

Just wanted to add that my mom dropped by this article last weekend. She found it in a magazine at the hair salon. It *really* irks me. There was a whole "myths about allergies" in there too that trivialized food intolerances just because they weren't anaphalactic or something.

It particularly irks me that my mom gave me the annoying article too! Yay for mainstream media. Not!

Cypressmyst Explorer

Come on now. Do you really think big Wheat is going down without a fight? Nope. They are going to make us out to be insane so the truth that gluten is at the root cause of the three leading causes of death in this country doesn't get out.

They are going to keep printing this vacuous nonsense to create just enough doubt so that people happily go on eating their poison.

That is why it is up to every one of us to help people with what we know. I've personally changed 7 lives in the last few months just by spreading the word and being an example of how awesome getting off this crap is.

Seven people who were slowly suffering and dying and aren't anymore. Seven kinds of awesome. B)

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

It particularly irks me that my mom gave me the annoying article too! Yay for mainstream media. Not!

A co-worker gave me the same article.

I think some people are doing the fad gluten free diet because they see people like me who drop weight after going gluten free and then they think it's an easy way to lose weight. A different co-worker is doing just that. She tells me what she ate every once in awhile, she's not really gluten free but she thinks it's good enough for the diet. :( It makes me cringe.

Fad diets sell magazines, facts don't. (at least not for the most part) I used to be annoyed by articles and news clips on migraines. Once I saw a special report on migraines and the only "sufferer" they interviewed complained of one a year! Before going gluten free I was enduring as many as 18 days a month with migraine. Come to think of it I still am annoyed.

Emilushka Contributor

I think the fad diet is also chasing the low-carb trends like Atkins and South Beach. But just like every other fad diet, it's STUPID. Fad dieting is not a good way to be healthy, end of story. Eating good foods and eating reasonable portion sizes and staying active is how you stay healthy. People just don't like to be told that they have to be reasonable.

Cinnamongirl Rookie

After all that I have suffered....I felt like I was basically dying a slow death and going crazy because of my gut, I hate trivialization, too! I pretty much gave up my career because of it and am fortunate that I could transition to being an at home mom. I still don't feel like I could hold a full time job and I made excuses for years to skip/avoid social functions, volunteering, etc.

K8ling Enthusiast

So true guys. My weight gain this pregnancy is almost non existent, I have gained 4 pounds but I am pretty sure it's all in my boobs LOL. But some of the other pregos were like "Oh! How do you do it?!" Well, I can't eat junk, plain and simple. I make whole foods and my morning sickness is better because of it. On of the other women was like "Well you shouldn't be dieting". I'm not, I just got rid of stuff that made me so sick. I have a disease. THere's a difference.

Misconceptions are so uncool.

lynnelise Apprentice

So true guys. My weight gain this pregnancy is almost non existent, I have gained 4 pounds but I am pretty sure it's all in my boobs LOL. But some of the other pregos were like "Oh! How do you do it?!" Well, I can't eat junk, plain and simple. I make whole foods and my morning sickness is better because of it. On of the other women was like "Well you shouldn't be dieting". I'm not, I just got rid of stuff that made me so sick. I have a disease. THere's a difference.

Misconceptions are so uncool.

OMG didn't you know that your baby needs Oreos and Big Macs to thrive! :lol:

notme Experienced

After all that I have suffered....I felt like I was basically dying a slow death and going crazy because of my gut, I hate trivialization, too! I pretty much gave up my career because of it and am fortunate that I could transition to being an at home mom. I still don't feel like I could hold a full time job and I made excuses for years to skip/avoid social functions, volunteering, etc.

i know how you feel! for the first time in a long time, i am thinking about *possibilities* :) also still adjusting but it is clicking RIGHT - got my snack bag packed!!! can't dwell on lost time, gotta get on with my brand new (well, a little old...) shiny (o my gosh, i can see my cheeks when i smile!!) body that works: FINALLY!!!!!!!

notme Experienced

So true guys. My weight gain this pregnancy is almost non existent, I have gained 4 pounds but I am pretty sure it's all in my boobs LOL.

K8 you are so funny! so glad you and baby are well :) yep, i tell the old man: watch out for my Giant Boobs and Junk in the Trunk now that i have gained 20 lbs or so LOL :D

Archived