arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Sign New Online Petition To Mandate Gluten-Free Labeling On All Pharmaceutical Products

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Leah's Mom

Leah's Mom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

On Tuesday, the gluten-free labeling petition was the #1 most active petition in the U.S. Now we are down to #10 most active and have only 195 signatures :unsure: . I've got to say I'm surprised and disappointed. I contacted every Celiac organization in the United States(including universities with medical depts. studying Celiacs) on the Internet, and gave them the petition information to pass along. It's obviously not happening. This is a great way to grab the public's attention and show the FDA we are serious about this labeling issue. Unless we have a much larger number of signatures (tens of thousands) they won't bother giving it a second thought. The FDA has never responded back to me regarding what percentage of U.S. drugs contains gluten vs. those that are gluten- free. Why? Because they don't know the answer. If they were to contact a pharmaceutical representative, the representative wouldn't be able to come up with a number either. How do I know? I've called at least 10 manufacturers of pharmaceutical products and none of them have been able to give me a solid answer. Half of those companies couldn't even tell me if the majority or minority of their products contained gluten. Scared? You should be. Tell your friends and other people on this site and forums on other sites that they need to sign the petition so a collective group will hold these companies accountable for what they put in their products! Thanks to all of you who have already signed :D

-Marcie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 heatherjane

heatherjane

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

I was #219. I'll forward this link to my local support group and post on FB. Thanks for taking action!

#18 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

No. 221 here . . . I was expecting to see hundreds of signatures. :( It's on my Facebook page now. Hope it helps!
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#19 glutengal

glutengal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

Just signed #263

#20 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

I posted links to the Delphi celiac board today.

Deplhi celiac board
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#21 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:39 AM

I sent it to a local support group. Maybe it will get around.
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac
Lactose intolerant discovered August 2010
Hypothyroid Dx 2009. Sleep Apnea 2005

#22 ChemistMama

ChemistMama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

Since the US is the leading manufacturer for pharmaceuticals, legislation mandating labeling would help people with gluten allergies in every country:)

Hve you talked to Steve Plogsted who does glutenfreedrugs.com? He's a pharmacist and has been telling the FDA about this for years.

#23 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

The major problem with making drugs gluten free seems to be that the ingredients are sourced worldwide, so while the actual drug may be put together in the USA, e.g., its components are sourced from many different countries and you would have to make them all comply with us labeling laws. And then, again, a prescription I had filled at Walmart was actually totally manufactured in Mumbai :o
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#24 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:28 AM

If they were putting peanuts in drugs willy nilly and randomly there would be heck to pay, but put wheat in and it's so what, it didn't kill you. :angry:

And this is eventually going to lead to another massive poisoning like the melamine in the pet foods, and then in the Chinese baby formula, because if they can't track the gluten they can't really track any of the other ingredients, either.

All people are asking is that it be called on the label if it's there. What a concept! They seem to be able to tell if the active ingredient is there or not.

#25 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

I was only #476. You've worked hard on this Marcee. I would have expected that more people would have participated.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#26 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

I sent this to all of my friends - hope some of them sign

#27 heatherjane

heatherjane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:20 AM

Bumpin' this topic back up to the top...everyone please sign! :)

#28 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

I would need a better understanding of the impact first. If you label it gluten free, there are legal ramifications for the company. Given that they may have to change their sources on some ingredients frequently, this will undoubtably add to the cost of medications as well, besides the additional cost of testing. As you have seen here, some people react to very small quantities, so are you going to require the most sensitive tests (which still can't tell you if there is zero gluten, but only less than a particular amount) and then mislead people who think that means it's safe for them when it's not?

It's not an easy issue to address. I understand the need to address it, but just telling someone to do something that nobody knows how to do, while holding them to unspoken expectations, is generally a recipe for nothing to happen, or little to happen very slowly.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#29 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:27 AM

Up to 565 signatures now. Keep them coming folks!

and

Happy Thanksgiving!
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#30 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

People like to talk about the "cost" of medications but they ignore 3 things - the "cost" of downtime from getting sick from being glutened, the cost of playing Manufacturing Crime Scene Detective when the pharmacy isn't going to do anything other than tell you to call the distributor/manufacturer to see if they know anything, and the massive profits the pharmaRx industry is making, not only by overcharging after having the creation made for pennies in a very low wage company, but then by charging $200 -$500 for some of these concoctions, profiting by putting the cheapest mystery ingredients into these drugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: