5 replies to this topic

#1 kitgordon

kitgordon

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:19 AM

We went to the Melting Pot for our anniversary last night, and it was absolutely WONDERFUL! The waiter was completely knowledgeable, the cheese fondue was prepared with cornstarch, and they even brought gluten-free bread for dipping! I've NEVER had gluten free bread in a restaurant before; I usually just expect to do without. (I don't know whether they do that at all locations; it wasn't listed on the menu, just a happy surprise!) Also gluten-free pound cake as well as fruit with the chocolate fondue for desert. I just felt so happy and normal. :) I would really recommend them, especially for a special occasion. We were given a secluded table for 2, and an anniversary card personally signed by the staff. They also offer balloons and/or flowers for special occasions. Five stars.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

wait- i used to go to melting pot all the time (years ago, before i even heard of celiac)- what was the cornstarch substituting???? i dont ever remember them putting any kind of flour or starch in my cheese??? i really dont remember that- and i would prefer no cornstarch either! i do remember they would put worchestisire sauce &/or beer in it- hhmmmmm
ah i miss the melting pot, i hope my locations have the gluten-free bread
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#3 Kay DH

Kay DH

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

Melting Pot in the Denver metro area also has gluten-free options. Haven't tried them since going gluten-free (11 months), but I do eat at Le Peep(s). These have gluten-free menus, baked goods, and dedicated grill/toaster/waffle irons. A waiter told me their regular waffle maker broke so all customers got the gluten-free waffles until it was replaced; he said they liked them better because they were crispier. Amazing how many more options there are for eating out gluten-free, even over the last 6 months. Yummm. :)

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

wait- i used to go to melting pot all the time (years ago, before i even heard of celiac)- what was the cornstarch substituting???? i dont ever remember them putting any kind of flour or starch in my cheese??? i really dont remember that- and i would prefer no cornstarch either! i do remember they would put worchestisire sauce &/or beer in it- hhmmmmm

Usually you put a little cornstarch, wheat or rice flour in a cheese fondue to keep it smooth and the right consistancy.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 kitgordon

kitgordon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

Depends which cheese fondue you choose. Some have flour thickeners which they will substitute w/cornstarch. For the beer ones, they will substitute Redbridge.

#6 txcyn

txcyn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

Went to the Melting Pot last night. They were very knowledgeable and helpful. We were put at a table with two pots, so others in our group could have regular. Highly recommend!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: