This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Where Do I Go With This?

Marilyn R

Marilyn R Community Regular

So. I had 1/3 lb. of mushrooms that I had intended to stuff or cook with something that were starting to look ripe. (Bought them exactly a week ago.) I had another 6 well soaked dry shtitake mushrooms. I roughly chopped all of the mushrooms except three nice looking ones that could be stuffed, minced about 2 T. of white onion and 1 T. of garlic, then drizzled olive oil over it all and stuck it in the refrigerator.

What should I make with this majic mushroom base? Inquiring minds are wondering what we'lll come up with...

My first thoughts were mushroom omelettes or crepes made with rice flour and a sauteed mushroom filling with chopped, pan seared flounder and wilted spinach or cabbage.

What do you think? Where should I go from here? Hope we have fun with this...

Who's the gluten-free Iron Chef?

Assume: availability of standard proteins

cost conscience

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

halfrunner Apprentice

Mushroom risotto with a sauteed chicken breast and some sort of wilted greens is what I would do with it. :D

Christi1996 Newbie

When I buy mushrooms I immediately put them in a paper bag (like a sack lunch paper bag) and then chunk them in the fridge. The paper lets the mushrooms breathe enough so that they don't get slimy. If you completely forget about them (not that I have ever done that :lol: ) they just become dehydrated but are still usable in soups and stuff.

I would like to know what you are planning on doing though!

mushroom Proficient

I must be in a paper bag as I am starting to dry out :unsure: Please don't chuck me in a soup, yet :lol:

curlyfries Contributor

I must be in a paper bag as I am starting to dry out :unsure: Please don't chuck me in a soup, yet :lol:

:lol:

:rolleyes:

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I've met a lot of guys who must have been stored in plastic bags! :wacko:

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Stuffed pork chops!

Mushrooms are amazing in "The Other White Meat"!

~Wheatfreedude~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

DH last night made a version of coq au vin a la Julia Child, except he had to use chicken thighs because I had already roasted the coq, and with the bacon and the quartered mushrooms (not to mention the half bottle of good french wine that had been sitting in the cellar for five years) it was pretty fab (drool face) :)

LOL... love your responses!

And photo!

I'll definitely start stashing 'shrooms in a paper bag! And I think I have enough of my potent mixture to try all your suggestions.

One little tip, based on my mushroom omelete this morning, is not to mix raw minced garlic and onion and chopped 'shrooms with olive oil and refrigerate overnight. The mushrooms intensely soaked up the onion/garlic flavor. Which could make them perfect for stuffed chops or coq au vin (with some Trader Joe's White Wine).

Can you make risotto without parmesan cheese? Egads, I can do coconut milk, I'm sure it'll be delicious.

Sometimes I grate a little carrot on things that I used to serve with cheese, and wonder if Cindarella did stuff like that! (Still looking for my lost glass slipper...thanks for the wonderful suggestions.)

MelindaLee Contributor

LOL :lol:

MelindaLee Contributor

I used a mushroom mix with spinach (and garlic of course) to stuff a beef roast. I have used it to stuff chicken breasts, too. Yummy!!!

kareng Grand Master

I'm not a big fan of mushrooms except Shroomie but this is pretty funny! I'm trying not to laugh out loud as everyone else went to bed! I've been sleeping in a paper bag because I thought it made you soft and fresh like a peach! :P

detritus Apprentice

So. I had 1/3 lb. of mushrooms that I had intended to stuff or cook with something that were starting to look ripe. (Bought them exactly a week ago.) I had another 6 well soaked dry shtitake mushrooms. I roughly chopped all of the mushrooms except three nice looking ones that could be stuffed, minced about 2 T. of white onion and 1 T. of garlic, then drizzled olive oil over it all and stuck it in the refrigerator.

What should I make with this majic mushroom base? Inquiring minds are wondering what we'lll come up with...

My first thoughts were mushroom omelettes or crepes made with rice flour and a sauteed mushroom filling with chopped, pan seared flounder and wilted spinach or cabbage.

What do you think? Where should I go from here? Hope we have fun with this...

Who's the gluten-free Iron Chef?

Assume: availability of standard proteins

cost conscience

Trout with mushroom & wild rice stuffing? Side of turnip fries?

Turnip fries? Inquirying minds want to know! Oh man I love trout, but live in the SE, have some frozen flounder filets...

Last night I ignored them .. was all shroomed out from breakfast.

I just peeked at them a few minutes ago and considered adding a bit to the steak marinade I made (which I found onlne and may be delicious or not). (Tahini, chopped sugared ginger, minced garlic, cannola oil...cuz I couldn't find my sesame oil.. lime juice and dried red pepper.)

My resident dear BF and grillmeister just announced that he didn't know what I did with that steak, but it smells better than anything he's ever grilled! That was in response to my question about whether or not I should add shrooms to the marinade. Tonight they're pared with sauteed zucchini and fresh spinach in olive oil (and garlic). (My 4 minute contribution to dinner, other than making the marinade.)

So...tomorrow will be fish and dealing with the left over shrooms with stuffed flounder and still wondering about turnip fries...or if risotto will be pallatable with coconut milk and no cheese.

I never used to be food focused!

detritus Apprentice

Turnip fries? Inquirying minds want to know! Oh man I love trout, but live in the SE, have some frozen flounder filets...

Last night I ignored them .. was all shroomed out from breakfast.

I just peeked at them a few minutes ago and considered adding a bit to the steak marinade I made (which I found onlne and may be delicious or not). (Tahini, chopped sugared ginger, minced garlic, cannola oil...cuz I couldn't find my sesame oil.. lime juice and dried red pepper.)

My resident dear BF and grillmeister just announced that he didn't know what I did with that steak, but it smells better than anything he's ever grilled! That was in response to my question about whether or not I should add shrooms to the marinade. Tonight they're pared with sauteed zucchini and fresh spinach in olive oil (and garlic). (My 4 minute contribution to dinner, other than making the marinade.)

So...tomorrow will be fish and dealing with the left over shrooms with stuffed flounder and still wondering about turnip fries...or if risotto will be pallatable with coconut milk and no cheese.

I never used to be food focused!

I've been obsessed with root vegetables lately; therefore the turnip fries. Very easy-peel them, cut them into matchsticks, toss them with oil, salt & pepper, or any seasoning you prefer, and put them in a 425 degree oven, tossing them around a couple times while baking, until they reach the color you prefer. It's best to put them on a baking sheet that's been in the oven while preheating so it's hot. Turnips now are perfect, but a little later in the year they turn more bitter, and that's why they have a bad rep :) Oh, and in the vegan cookbook I just got, there are a number of risotto recipes without cheese, so I'm sure yours will be fine!

Sound great! Thanks for the recipe!

And I can relate to the root vegetable obsession. :rolleyes:

Archived