This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms

loubyloo

loubyloo Apprentice

Ok, sorry for posting once again but just wanted to run something by you all. I've arranged a Dr appt but i want to go in armed with as much info as possible so i'm not fobbed off as i suspect i will be.

Past week i've been up during the night with stomach pains etc and if i remember correctly i'd had more gluten than normally i'd have that day. So yesterday i had this:

1pm a bagel

4pm 2 biscuits

6pm vegetable curry (homemade with jar of sauce)

brown rice

mango sorbet (with wheat sugar syrup)

if it is gluten thats surely going to give me another sore stomach? It didn't. But for the few hours following dinner my stomach swelled up so so much (i'm serious) and in the hour and half since getting up this morning i've been to the bathroom 5 or 6 times, had the usual loose,smelly,floating stools but with whole pieces of undigested food - why?

I am on Lansoprazole for stomach acid, is this causing me to not digest my food or could it be celiac?

Also, apart from the diarrhoea being constant is it still a symptom of celiac to have stomach pain that is on and off, ie. not everytime you have gluten?

Sorry for the detail and for asking so many questions all the time. Hope i'm not a pest.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Okay, so after the bagel and biscuits, you were probably starting to produce some pretty serious gas You eat the dinner with not much (or any?) gluten. But by then there wasn't much room in your stomach because of all the gas so your stomach swelled up and when you got up this morning you had to quickly get rid of all that fermented bagel and biscuits that hadn't digested, as well as everything else you put in on top of it which wasn't going to have a chance to digest.

Sometimes the reactions are not immediate. It often depends on when you eat, what you eat with it, lots of variables. I don't find that at all unusual :rolleyes: I would wonder you were able to get any sleep :unsure: I would have been awake all night with erratic heart rate, severe bloating and burping (and excuse me, but farting!) and got up in the morning with the sheets in a knot. And no, it probably wouldn't have started until I went to bed. :)

vegan lisa Rookie

Some of those symptoms could be the Lansoprazole. I took Nexium and had all those symptoms. The horrible stools (oil sludge, food, urgency, etc) and bloatin got MUCH better (not all better, though) after I quit the Nexium. Incidentally, my reflux also improved dramatically once off the Nexium... what a waste that was for me, it made me horribly ill to treat a condition that I didn't even have (reflux) until I'd been taking it about 6 months, when I suddenly developed it! Grrr. Just something to consider...

That said, those symptoms did not totally improve until I went gluten free. I've been Gluten free for about 2 months, and finally feeling better. Many other symptoms have improved on the diet as well (severe stomach pain is gone!).

Good luck,

Lisa

loubyloo Apprentice

Okay, so after the bagel and biscuits, you were probably starting to produce some pretty serious gas You eat the dinner with not much (or any?) gluten. But by then there wasn't much room in your stomach because of all the gas so your stomach swelled up and when you got up this morning you had to quickly get rid of all that fermented bagel and biscuits that hadn't digested, as well as everything else you put in on top of it which wasn't going to have a chance to digest.

Sometimes the reactions are not immediate. It often depends on when you eat, what you eat with it, lots of variables. I don't find that at all unusual :rolleyes: I would wonder you were able to get any sleep :unsure: I would have been awake all night with erratic heart rate, severe bloating and burping (and excuse me, but farting!) and got up in the morning with the sheets in a knot. And no, it probably wouldn't have started until I went to bed. :)

I didn't sleep well! But it was an improvement on not having any 2 nights last week - had to get up and sit with a hot water bottle on my stomach until midday.

I'm so nervous about the Dr tomorrow, i've made such a fuss about my symptoms if it isn't gluten i'm going to feel like such an idiot. And if it's the medication, an even bigger idiot. But i did have BAD acid probs that come back if i don't take it. But surely it couldn't cause me to go the bathroom that many times, and give me stomach pain, and be variable despite taking it everyday. And it all started with diarrhoea all those months ago. Also, if i don't eat i feel sooo much better physicially. That's got to be indicative of a food prob right? A tricky issue for me to handle since i'm anorexic (trying to be in recovery)

I'm getting myself in such a tis about all this. I actually WANT it to be a positive antibody test so that i can have something concrete, with an (easy) solution. I'm terrified its a dairy thing cos i love milk etc. :/

mushroom Proficient

Hey, even if the doctor does not find anything, it does not mean that there is nothing there. It just means he has not found it :o:unsure: So there is no reason for you to feel like an idiot, but rather he should because he's not looking hard enough :lol:

Archived