2 replies to this topic

#1 GFshay

GFshay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

I just started my gluten-free diet and we had tacos using Trader Joe's corn shells and taco seasoning, both labeled with their little "Gluten Free" symbol in a cute little stamp of a "g" on the front. Then after the meal, my husband noticed that there was a bit more info on the nutrition label...

It says: "Our vendors follow good manufacturing practices to segregate ingredients to avoid cross contact with allergens. Made on equipment shared with wheat, milk and soy."

The first sentence seems to contradict the second... isn't it a *bad* practice to make something on shared equipment?
Has anyone looked into this further? Could it mean that they share equipment, but we shouldn't worry because they clean it carefully?? I'm trying to be super careful as I start on this journey... help!!
Positive blood test on several indicators Aug '10
Visual damage seen via endoscopy Oct '10
Diagnosed Celiac with "3B" damage via positive biopsy Oct '10

Gluten Free since 10/9/10

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ChemistMama

ChemistMama

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:10 AM

I just started my gluten-free diet and we had tacos using Trader Joe's corn shells and taco seasoning, both labeled with their little "Gluten Free" symbol in a cute little stamp of a "g" on the front. Then after the meal, my husband noticed that there was a bit more info on the nutrition label...

It says: "Our vendors follow good manufacturing practices to segregate ingredients to avoid cross contact with allergens. Made on equipment shared with wheat, milk and soy."

The first sentence seems to contradict the second... isn't it a *bad* practice to make something on shared equipment?
Has anyone looked into this further? Could it mean that they share equipment, but we shouldn't worry because they clean it carefully?? I'm trying to be super careful as I start on this journey... help!!

I think you need to read their labels more carefully...they now stamp everything with "no gluten ingredients', which is not the same as 'gluten free'. TJ's is always a hotly contested topic on these boards. Do a search and you'll see for yourself. In short, we like that TJs is up front with their labelling, but whether you eat said item is up to you. There are people who eat their items that have been made on shared equipement and do not get sick, and those who are very sensitive and do get sick.

In your case, since you're just starting out on your gluten-free journey, I'd stay away from those items for the next 6 months or so, so if you do get accidentally glutened you can more easily figure out what made you sick. I've been gluten-free for almost 2 years and I don't react to TJ's products at all.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:09 AM

It is not so much TJ that is the question, it is "shared equipment."

Unless your home is 100% gluten-free, it is a "shared facility," and if you have only one set of dishes/pots/cutlery, they are "shared equipment."

"Good manufacturing practices" refers to thorough cleaning, among other things.

Disclosure of shared facilities or equipment is completely voluntary. If you see the statement, you know, but the absence of such a statement does not mean the factory does not process gluten.

If you react to a product, don't use it.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: