43 replies to this topic

#31 mommysboys2

mommysboys2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

Thank you for the welcome! That is exactly what I am dealing with! I am taking liquid vitamins, liquid iron for severe anemia, and a high protein liquid supplement throughout the day to try to repair muscle damage. Also B12 injections.. I have been SO weak, depressed, and have very sore joints and muscles, so my lifestyle has taken a huge left turn over the last year. My guy friend was so disappointed that I didn't get a ski pass, but it isn't worth it! I bought one last year and skied one time. I need to get my body back! I sure thank you for the encouraging words.... I look forward to getting better and learning from this site..... Thank you!

I was wondering...do you have to lose weight in order to have gluten sensitivity or celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

No, some gain quite a bit of weight because their bodies save everything, they are so starved of nutrients.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#33 TB4me2000

TB4me2000

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

I'm joining in--I find this thread rather reassuring. Good to know I'm not the only one wondering where the heck this came from.

I'm 23, graduated from college last May, got my first job this past September. New city, first apartment, first job (make that a super stressful job with a crazy boss) and a nervous stomach somehow landed me in serious pain for the few months leading up to my birthday. I had settled into work and figured it couldn't be nerves tearing my stomach to shreds every day like clockwork 20 minutes after I ate just about anything. Did a little research and went gluten-free the week before my birthday. I felt better within 24 hours. Hurrah! No way in heck am I ever going back to that way of life again.

(Thanks to all of you, by the way, for sharing your stories and advice. It's ever so helpful to hear about other people's experiences and to realize you're not alone.)

#34 Luddie

Luddie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

Thank you for the welcome! That is exactly what I am dealing with! I am taking liquid vitamins, liquid iron for severe anemia, and a high protein liquid supplement throughout the day to try to repair muscle damage. Also B12 injections.. I have been SO weak, depressed, and have very sore joints and muscles, so my lifestyle has taken a huge left turn over the last year. My guy friend was so disappointed that I didn't get a ski pass, but it isn't worth it! I bought one last year and skied one time. I need to get my body back! I sure thank you for the encouraging words.... I look forward to getting better and learning from this site..... Thank you!

I think the vitamins and minerals will certainly help. I, too, have the sore muscles and joints and it doesn't help my piano playing at all because it's mostly in my shoulders and wrists. A bit of neuropathy, too. I'm a very active, multi organization volunteer person who was diagnosed with celiac only 4 years ago, when I was 73! Talk about surprise!! It was awful. I finally let go and went with the flow and tried to laugh about what symptoms would appear "tomorrow", I suffered from what I call "migratory" pains. Anyhow, that is slowly getting better but not being able to jump in and out of the car and get my work done is truly frustrating. Not eating various forbidden foods really doesn't bother me very much. Just my two cents worth. As you heal your gut, you will feel better!

#35 chefsands

chefsands

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:47 PM

I got it at 28, my father at 68, my sister at 38, my niece at 1 and nephew at birth. Stress brought it on for me :(

#36 GlutenFreeJess

GlutenFreeJess

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

I was diagnosed with Celiac at age 28. I think it's a common misconception that Celiac only occurs in childhood, which is why so many people go un or mis diagnosed.
~Jessica~
---------
Dx: Celiac Disease '08, Hashimotos Thyroiditis '08, Diabetes '07, TMJD '07, Fibromyalgia '08

#37 Monael

Monael

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

It's funny, I am 46 and figured it out for myself after many years of being told I had IBS. So many different symptoms have disappeared or have improved I can't believe it. I don't even WANT my old favorites that have gluten.

But looking back, I also wonder how long I had this. I was very anemic starting when I was a child. And the IBS has been around for so long I forgot when I didn't have it. Now by eating no gluten I have not had diarrhea except a couple of times I ate things I didn't realize had gluten in them.

I don't even know what my trigger was.

#38 NinaSA

NinaSA

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Ask your dr about iron IV. I was and currently am severly anemic and always tired. When my iron is low it feels like I have to use every ounce of energy to do ordinary tasks. With the iron IV my levels return to normal within two weeks. Much faster than the months oral iron can take. I am also on liquid iron to try to maintain a good level. It is amazing how my life can completely turn around within only to weeks. I literally felt like a new person!!!! Just got another IV today looking forward to feeling better. You may not need it more than once but I also have a bleeding disorder. My dr said it's a double whammy. Don't absorb it and can't keep it. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

#39 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

I turn 31 on Sunday, and just went gluten free. I'm 5 weeks in and feeling so much better. Looking back, there's been signs all the way back into my early teen years, but they were never an issue so I just overlooked it.

#40 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

I was 31 when I was diagnosed. I was largely asymptomatic, or so I thought. It wasn't until after I went gluten free that certain things I thought were normal (regular headaches, frequent random nausea, joint pain, fatigue) actually weren't normal and were caused by celiac. Looking back I'm nearly positive I've had this since I was 21 and had a severe case of mono.

#41 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

I'm pretty sure mine dates back to age 27 and the year 2001. I had two personal crisis surrounding the week of September 11th and I think the stress was too much for my body and activated the Celiac Disease. I had already had some issues (mostly migraines) but that was when I really got sick.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#42 Karla01

Karla01

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

I am 44, was diagnosed last August, I had symptoms for 5 years,but thought they were all realated to working nightshift and the stress of being a nurse. I think it would have been easier being diagnosed as a child. As an adult I miss so many things I used to eat.

#43 jemms

jemms

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

No, some gain quite a bit of weight because their bodies save everything, they are so starved of nutrients.

I am 35 as well and recently found out about my gluten intolerance...am hoping to get results back from endo this week regarding Celiacs. Anyways, I could not lose weight for the life of me, I gained 60 lbs after my daughter was born in 2006 and I couldnt understand why. I tried everything to lose it but it just didnt matter. Now, the weight is coming off like crazy. It is reassuring to know that some people do gain weight from this. I felt like such a failure because I was close to 250 lbs. I would explain to my doctor that I wasnt eating much and still gaining. She would look at me like I was lying and tell me to exercise more. It is so nice to finally have answers!!!
Dairy/Casein Intolerant March 2011
Gluten Intolerant March 2011

Endo done May 2011~Negative but Doc said I "very likely" still have Celiac's

#44 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

Similar story here...

I've just turned 40 and pretty much that was when the celiac disease got triggered. I've always had symptoms I guess. I remember eating 4 slices of toast when I was a teenager after school and being unable to fight the urge to fall asleep. I've always had a troublesome stomach but just assumed everyone did and didn't complain as much as me :)

Then I got a massive infection, 5 months of antibiotics and BOOM I can't so much as look at gluten now. I'm fairly convinced it's the antibiotics wiping out my gut flora which did it for me. As is my neurologist. Annoyingly, my GP seems to think that my symptoms are unusual for celiac disease but from coming on this forum and doing a lot of research I know that it's very common. He put me on the wrong path for months imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: