This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Help From You With Other Food Intolerances !

jenvan

jenvan Collaborator

I am hoping for a little help from those of you with other tested food intolerances. I finally got back my great plains lab food intolerance test and was shocked by what I found. 1st--4 foods that cause me immediate physical discomfort were low on the reactivity scale (corn, chocolate, coffee, turkey), but a ton of foods, some of which I've never noticed issues with, were off the charts with high reactivity. I wonder why...

My question--for those of you who've been tested, have you found the results to be accurate and trustworthy? And were you able to confirm some of them only by elminating them from your diet and seeing how you feel for a trail period? I am feeling pretty overwhelmed and pretty low about the results. Also, I have a whole bunch of moderately reactive foods too, and low ones as well. But I assume the only ones I would need to watch out for are the high ones ?? I don't want to eliminate all these if they aren't going to cause improvement, but if eliminating them would....well, I am going to have to figure out what I CAN eat !! Thanks for any help! (Did anyone else's look this bad too?) :unsure:

High reactivity: all gluten-related foods, casein, and all milk related foods, white rice, egg white and yolk, peanut, almond, soy , aspargus, carrot, yogurt, garlic, string bean, green pepper, lettuce, pineapple, pumpkin, radish, squash, sunflower

Moderate: brocolli, banan, cauliflower, celery, lemon, pea, potato, coconut, corn , tomato, brewer's yeast, pecan, sesame

Low: goat milk, avocado, apple, apricot, cucumber, grape, orange, peach, onion, plum, spinach, filbert, baker's yeast, lentil, lima bean, crab, pinto bean, shrimp, walnut

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SueD Newbie

I was tested through York Labs. Highly reactive for wheat, milk, eggs and tomatoes. Since pizza was one of my worst (and favorite) meals, it seemed to make sense, and yes, I did feel significantly better when I eliminated these foods. My first doctor said these tests were unscientific, but the MD I'm seeing now says he can't argue with the improvement since elimination.

jenvan Collaborator

Oh, and to clarify--I do know I have Celiac, and have been gluten-free since March. What I am curious about is the other foods I am intolerant of. And strangely I noticed the foods I was very low for reactivity, were foods I rarely eat--like fish and certain fruits. I wonder if there is any correlation there?

Sue--so you've noticed improvement from eliminating other foods besides gluten then?

shimma Apprentice

I don't know about the specific tests you took, but when my allergist tested me, he said the tests were reliable only about a third of the time. These were skin tests. I tested mildly positive for a lot of things - chicken, beef, turkey, almonds, oranges, milk.....a bunch of stuff. Going on an elimination diet didn't help me feel better at all.

But....you won't know until you try. If you're feeling like you still have food issues, I think it would be worthwhile to try an elimination diet and see how it goes. Not that it's fun to cut out even more food from your diet!

UIDancer Apprentice

I'm interested in being tested for food intolerances so I can have hard "evidence" on what to avoid. Could you tell me more about the process, where to have it done, and how much it costs?

Thanks!

Devon

Carriefaith Enthusiast
High reactivity: all gluten-related foods, casein, and all milk related foods, white rice, egg white and yolk, peanut, almond, soy , aspargus, carrot, yogurt, garlic, string bean, green pepper, lettuce, pineapple, pumpkin, radish, squash, sunflower

Moderate: brocolli, banan, cauliflower, celery, lemon, pea, potato, coconut, corn , tomato, brewer's yeast, pecan, sesame

Low: goat milk, avocado, apple, apricot, cucumber, grape, orange, peach, onion, plum, spinach, filbert, baker's yeast, lentil, lima bean, crab, pinto bean, shrimp, walnut

WOW :o

You would starve if you had to eliminate all of that! I would start with a few things that are on the high list. I'm assuming you are gluten free already but try and elminate things that are easy to avoid first like nuts, asparagus, pumpkin, radish, squash, ect and see how you feel. I certainly don't eat things like that on a regular basis.

hsd1203 Newbie

might be helpful for you to do a little bit of research on rotation diets and food families. it may be that the things you are reacting to are things you eat all the time (and relatives of things you eat all the time) and your body might just need a break from them which you could do by rotating your diet. not sure really about all the science behind it, but it was helpful for me while I was first sick to be really conscious of how often I was eating certain foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LUAP Newbie

jenvan.

according to what doug kaufmann say's, you should not worry to much about thoses food allergies. all thoses food allergies just shows you have a leaky gut. get rid of your leaky gut, and you'll get rid of thoses food allergies.

but yeast and corn should'nt be a part of your menu, because for sure, they contribute to your leaky gut.

before going gluten-free, your were probably suffering from chronic fatigue ot tired after eating hey?

jenvan Collaborator

hsd1203 -thanks for thoughts on food families. i will look into it--hadn't thought of it.

uidancer -there are many places you can have food intolerances tested for: www.greatplainslaboratory.com www.yorkallergyusa.com Great Plains uses a blood draw your doc sends in and york uses a pin prick I believe. You can read about each on their sites. Some insurances will cover... Remember to request whether you want IgE (classic food allergies), or IgG (delayed food reactions). if you are doing IgE's you could probably have that done in your drs office too.

Carrie/Shimma -yeah, i think an elimination diet is what i will need to try. my mom wonders how credible the test is. but i can't help but think there must be something to it, since the foods i know of--gluten, wheat, barely etc, all came back high...

luap - i see you talk about kaufmann and some others a lot. how did you get connected with them? and out of curiousity--what convinced you of their credibility? just wondering... you definitely bring up some interesting thoughts-- i hadn't heard that food allergies/intolerances are simply evidence of a leaky gut. perhaps that is true. i would wonder about those who do have serious anaphylactic reactions to certains foods though. how do kaufmann and others say you can heal your leaky gut? is it an SCD kind-of a diet? do they say to elminate dairy, yeast and corn permanently?

thanks for the thoughts all. i wish something would be cut and dry for us!

LUAP Newbie

well jenvan

the first notion I have learn from celiac disease is that it's the little cousin of cholera. Cholera, as we all know is a disease occuring when population are eating rotten grains. The effects are creating intense diarea and kill you because of dehydratation. Dr fasano created Zonulin with the help of another medication that works against cholera….

Let’s have a look at celiac disease

Open Original Shared Link

the site is in french, but you only need to look at pictures. There is two sets of photos. The first set is showing villy. One good (left), the other one is what they call no villy or flat villy,(right). But in my eyes, in both, the villy are there, the problem is something is covering villys on the right picture. Do you see what I see?

On the second set of pictures, you can see a GI tract that is red (left), another one that is white (right) the one that is red belong to a coeliac that have recovered. The one that is white is showing a coeliaque in all it’s splendor.

NOW, THE QUESTION IS WHAT IS THAT WHITE?

Jordan rubben is talking about gliadin putrefiying. Mercola is saying It’s yeast overgrowth or candida. Here is a quote:

‘to learn if you have a yeast overgrowth , check your tongue in the mirror. A healty tongue is pink. But if yours is white, this indicates that the rest of your intestinal tract is very likely contaminated (the no grain diet, p.160).

Mercola and jordan rubben are both right

if you have a yeast overgrowth or candida, you know you have a gut that leaks. The multiple food allergies is the proof.

Speaking of anaphylactic reactions. Yes people die from having eating peanuts and it’s not because the anti-body are stupid. They die because the body attack fungus from peanuts. A simple intake of aflatoxin can kill you

Scd diet. Do you mean starving candida diet? If so yes, but dairys are all aloud. In fact. Both mercola and Kaufmann remove grains from your diet because when you eat grains, you eat fungus. Got a problem with gluten, no wonder.

Why do I trust Kaufmann: Because he’s showing a lot of scientific evidence. When something is killing rats or giving them disease, I worry for myself eating that something.

Guest nini

my food allergy screening was done via blood tests and basically showed no allergies, however, I know I react to antibiotics and hormones that are added to foods... I'm not so much allergic to the food (ie: chicken) but I'm allergic to the hormones and antibiotics added to commercial meats.

I also went through NAET testing and that showed that I was "allergic" to EVERYTHING... but also claimed that it could get rid of all of my allergies over a series of (costly) treatments... the NAET dr. also claimed he could cure celiac, so once I heard that I never went back.

I used to react to dairy until I went gluten-free... I used to react to chicken and turkey until I switched to Free Range Antibiotic Free/Hormone Free Poultry...

I don't know what to believe. I know I have issues with Candida as well, and I used probiotics and specific herbs formulated for candida cleansing...

If I eliminated all the foods I "think" I react to I'd starve! I'd be very limited in choices at least...

LUAP Newbie

NINI,

Do you know that antibiotics are mycotoxins, produced by fungus. that is interesting to see your react to them. One of the best ways to protect your body against mycotoxins is to eat good fat (omega 3 6 or 9). Extra virgin coconut oil, butter, nuts...except peanuts and pistachios.

the biggest problem with fat comes from the fact that if you have a high diet in carbs, you put your body in insulin mode (FAT STORAGE), then the more you eat fat, the bigger you get or, it lead you to heart attack.

on the other hand, if you have a low carb diet, you put your body on glucacon mode (fat burning). you eat fat, you don't get any extra pound, and you protect your body from mycotoxins, without risks of heart attack. (taken from what i have read from the mercola no grain diet.

also, psylliums hulls really helps to get rid of a leaky gut (this one is from kaufmann)

jenvan Collaborator

luap (and others) -

I spoke to the nutritionist/biochemist at great plains, the lab that did my intolerance testing. She said I was one of the most allergic people she's seen--and that she rarely sees people reacting to even vegetables like I am. She told me I need to experiment elminating the different foods and that just b/c I am highly reactive to one food, doesn't mean its actually harming me. She said all the intolerances were evidence that I have an incredibly leaky gut too. So, I'm going to try casein/milk-free starting today for a few weeks and see if I notice anything. She suggested a host of supplements to me, including digestive enzymes, but I think for now, I'm going to beg off those.... We shall see !

jknnej Collaborator

I can tell you that I have food allergies to foods and the ones that I react only mildly to I eat with no problems whatsoever. So I would NOT worry about the foods on your low or even moderate level because of the sheer volume you have there. Focus on the high ones instead.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I think starting with dairy is a good way to go! :-)

• 3 months later...
Guest BellyTimber

Casein is a protein known to set off cerebral symptoms in a susceptible section of the population due to opioid peptins going through the blood-brain barrier, that is also a thing that happens from gluten (not in the classic celiac disease) and the two proteins are reputedly similar in structure.

Lactose in dairy is a common problem for people recovering from celiac disease.

I was told to rotate problem foods - a week between or even just a day between using it, can help.

I was told it gets better as the gut heals, the gluten and celiac disease is a lifelong thing, casein is for those affected, and the others probably aren't lifelong issues. These lab tests are obviously onto something, but we have to see if we can suss the proportionate significance - if you consider the jury is out, don't worry until something tells you to. Our own bodies and symptoms are the best scientists when we know how to read them. If the blurb that comes with the results doesn't give a technical explanation of the readings then we can't work out the significance. If it does give an explanation but not an adequate one, we're still at square one.

If you want to study dairy foods let me know & I'll tell you the procedure I was taught - the things to avoid most might be those richest in lactose. E.g butter and to a lesser extent cream may not be so bad for you. Live yoghurt with enough live organisms in will have had virtually all lactose changed into something else and the organisms are seriously good for one. That might leave cheese to definitely go easy on (strong cheeses also contain amines and blue ones, moulds)and neat milk to almost completely avoid. I did for a bit but I don't feel it's so necessary now. I may resume or may not. The situation may be a little different for you perhaps. Some people say don't use dairy (because of lactose, a sugar) when on anti-candida treatment but I notice Candidafree whose web site I just read, say that's not necessary (if using the product they sell!).

As a milk substitute I particularly like quinoa milk but it's expensive! I didn't like tiger root (chufas or sedge) for some reason. I don't like soya. Rice milk is thin, sweet and most brands have barley in.

The main thing is, we need to find it convenient and economic to give ourselves balanced nutrition and very importantly enjoy ourselves doing so.

I feel better when I follow this.

I do know some people who have lifelong sensitivity to classes of foods such as those rich in salicylates (tomatoes, oranges) but their symptoms tell them clearly. And some of those can take the foods in small quantities, rotated.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
but yeast and corn should'nt be a part of your menu, because for sure, they contribute to your leaky gut.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about stuff that has corn syrup in it...is that the same as eating corn? :unsure:

Also Jenvan, this thread is old so I'm wondering did you eliminate those foods afterall? Did you notice improvement?

Claire Collaborator
luap (and others) -

I spoke to the nutritionist/biochemist at great plains, the lab that did my intolerance testing.  She said I was one of the most allergic people she's seen--and that she rarely sees people reacting to even vegetables like I am.  She told me I need to experiment elminating the different foods and that just b/c I am highly reactive to one food, doesn't mean its actually harming me.  She said all the intolerances were evidence that I have an incredibly leaky gut too.  So, I'm going to try casein/milk-free starting today for a few weeks and see if I notice anything.  She suggested a host of supplements to me, including digestive enzymes, but I think for now, I'm going to beg off those....  We shall see !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know I have documentation (somewhere!) for what I say here. I think you are getting bad advise regarding "She told me I need to experiment elminating the different foods and that just b/c I am highly reactive to one food, doesn't mean its actually harming me." If your immune system is being stressed then you are doing yourself harm. Look up the subject of 'mimicry' related to glutein, casein and other foods as well. You don't have optimum health when your body is in fighting mode all the time. I had a doctor tell me once that I had a powerfully healthy immune system - and that I was physically exhausted by the constant fight my system was putting up against so much of what I ate.

I was diagnosed in 1990 with Type !!, Delayed Food Reactions - this to a multiplicity. I have been tested three times since then. They definitely get the serious stuff right - they do get a lot of wrong calls. I would not go that route for testing again.

A naturopathic doctor that I saw recently told me that he very little confidence in these tests - not because they didn't get anything right but because they got so many false positives.

His suggestion> take a three week period and eat only a few foods that you feel are safe. At the end of three weeks introduce ONE of the foods on the reactive list. Eat that food several times over the course of a week. If you react to it, stop - rest a week and the try another reactive food. If there is no reaction during the one week trial you can add another food without the week 'rest period'. This takes awhile but you are getting your testing done and your input from the best possible source - your own body. Beats out all the labs in the world. Claire

PS- one of my reactive foods was lobster. I last ate lobster when I was about six years old. I hated it and have never eaten it since. Antibodies!! I don't think so :lol::lol::lol:

LUAP Newbie

What about stuff that has corn syrup in it...is that the same as eating corn?

Hi Rachel 24

Unfortunately, i don't have the answer to that question. but i could do like a politician by giving an answer without answering the question. One of my favorite link:

www.phs.ualberta.ca/PHS522/PHS522Myctoxins.ppt

When i explain to people that i don't eat corn or peanuts and pistachio because it can give you cancer, they start to laugh like if i was stupid. then i tell them: Do you want to see picture of it? Now they stop to laugh...and they don't want to see the link.

i also ask them

Never got diarea after eating freshly harvested corn?

Never got small pain to your liver after eating peanuts?

p.s. the name of the fasano's medication is not zonulin, i was confused with the concept.

bluelotus Contributor

How did you get tested for food intolerances? I have been tested for allergies with a skin test (IgE) (negative for all 24 groups), but not yet food intolerances. Did you need to be eating those foods to get the test? I noticed just by my discomfort and food elimination that I am sensitive/intolerant to corn-derived products, eggs, and dairy.

Claire Collaborator
How did you get tested for food intolerances?  I have been tested for allergies with a skin test (IgE) (negative for all 24 groups), but not yet food intolerances.  Did you need to be eating those foods to get the test?  I noticed just by my discomfort and food elimination that I am sensitive/intolerant to corn-derived products, eggs, and dairy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many labs do this work. My tests were done by Immuno Labs, Fort Lauderdale, FL

Order IgG Immuno 1 Bloodprint

(IgG Elisa Food Sensitivity Assay)

1-800-231-9197

Look back and read earlier post on this issue. Claire

Claire Collaborator

I was going to start a new topic with this post but it is definitely related to the subject in this thread -

If you want a new topic, I can do that too.

This is an excerpt from an article 'FOOD TOXINS, MOLECULAR MIMICRY, LEAKY GUT AND THE MS CONNECTION' Though it is directed toward MS - there is much here for the celiac to digest. This is a great article or those wondering if there is any harm being done by eating other 'reactive' foods other than gluten. The mimicry molecules' is the reason that the answer is yes. You see in this article that gluten and dairy are associated in the text - I have written here before that wheat protein (gluten) and dairy protein (casein) are all but identical at the molecular level - leaving wide open the issue of mimicry - T-cells seeing this two proteins as the same thing or 'same' enough to set off a reaction.

Read and ponder. It's interesting food for thought. Claire

FOOD TOXINS, MOLECULAR MIMICRY, LEAKY GUT AND THE MS CONNECTION.

Multi-Factorial Trigger

It has been accepted for a long time that several factors play a major role in MS. In fact, the multi-factorial involvement has contributed to the puzzle of determining the etiology of the disease. Among these, suspected triggers include viral, autoimmune, and environmental factors. There is a theory which ties together some of these suspected mechanisms; it is a theory of “mimicry molecules” – molecules similar enough in protein structure to “mimic” the structure of a “self” protein, and may be responsible for activating the autoimmune system. In the case of MS, the “mimicry molecules”, which have been found in several viral proteins (including the Epstein-Barr virus, human papillomavirus, and influenza peptides), and which could possibly exist in some gluten-rich cereals, and/or in milk, may explain the connection among the various factors known to be involved in the etiology of MS. Also, the “Leaky Gut syndrome” (permeable intestinal lining) may be an important factor in allowing antigens to pass into the system and activate the immune system. [more at website]

Open Original Shared Link

bluelotus Contributor
Many labs do this work. My tests were done by Immuno Labs, Fort Lauderdale, FL

Order IgG Immuno 1 Bloodprint

(IgG Elisa Food Sensitivity Assay)

1-800-231-9197

Look back and read earlier post on this issue.  Claire

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I have read about the Elisa test through other gluten-free books and things and figured this was the test. However, the test is sometimes listed as being an allergy test and not a food sensitivity test. If doctors can't keep it straight, how am I supposed to? <_< I will have to search old posts to see what sort of preparation is required for an Elisa test, again, something not well-covered in literature.

Claire Collaborator
Thanks.  I have read about the Elisa test through other gluten-free books and things and figured this was the test.  However, the test is sometimes listed as being an allergy test and not a food sensitivity test.  If doctors can't keep it straight, how am I supposed to?  <_<  I will have to search old posts to see what sort of preparation is required for an Elisa test, again, something not well-covered in literature.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can call Immuno Labs number and they will answer any questions. York Labs also does the same tests.

Immuno as other labs are, testing for sensitivity reactions to foods - specifically the Delayed Food Allergy. Unlike common food allergies that are immediate responses and can be fatal, the Delayed Food Allergy produces 'delayed' symptoms and is not caused by being flat out allergic to the food but by undigested or partially digested food particles getting into the bloodstream(via leaky gut) and the immunce system producing a response. Immediate food allergies can be fatal, Delayed Food Reactions are not but these carry the potential - like gluten - to inspire other autoimmune diseases as well as cellular damage. Immediate food reaction pose no such threat.

In the Immuno lab report food reactions are graded. My first test put a 4+ on every grain except rice and oats. Years later when I had greatly reduced the grains the reading was a 2+.

Hope this helps. Claire

Archived