This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enzymes?

blondie1985

blondie1985 Rookie

Anyone take them? I ran in to a woman in Henry's the other day who was telling me that I should be taking an enzyme of some sort with my celiac diagnosis. Something about it helping to eliminate any sorts of "accidental" gluten I may consume? Insight/advice anyone?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elocin71 Apprentice

ok i'm a newbie myself but my ND gave me such a product. the enzyme she was referring to was probably dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPP IV). i used it once for possible glutening from eating at chevy's but honestly i couldn't tell if it helped. i will be curious to see if anyone else has experience with these enzymes. i posted a question about it once but all i got back was that they were skeptical of taking something every day for the rest of their lives.

Anyone take them? I ran in to a woman in Henry's the other day who was telling me that I should be taking an enzyme of some sort with my celiac diagnosis. Something about it helping to eliminate any sorts of "accidental" gluten I may consume? Insight/advice anyone?

Lisa Mentor

I think she was making reference to a product called "Glutenese". It's been subject of much debate on this forum. It makes some outstanding claims, but it's not meant for people with Celiac Disease. Just it's name is a turn off to me and leaves me suspicious.

Any digestive enzymes which will put back some good bacteria into your system, would be helpful. Especially of you have taken a lot of antibiotics or antacids. Probiotics can be bought over the counter. I have taken Natures's Bounty Chewable Acidophilus (it's also milk free) :)

elocin71 Apprentice

glutenese also appears to have the same enzyme but its claims are definitely more outrageous. it's not a magic pill that lets you eat wheat again but something you should take if you get glutened, in theory to help reduce the symptoms. has no one tried it with any success or failure?

I think she was making reference to a product called "Glutenese". It's been subject to much debate on this forum. It makes some outstanding claims, but it's not mean for people with Celiac Disease. Just its name is a turn off to me and leaves me suspicious.

Any digestive enzymes which will put back some good bacteria into your system, would be helpful. Especially of you have taken a lot of antibiotics or antacids. Probiotics can be bought over the counter. I have taken Natures's Bounty Chewable Acidophilus (it's also milk free) :)

Christi1996 Newbie

I know in the autism community those are very popular; some parents will give their child and enzyme instead of doing the gluten-free casien-free diet.

I tried them and for awhile we did use them to eat whatever we want - because we didn't have the reaction with the pills. HOWEVER I recently discovered that I am still having a reaction, it just isn't as bad (mainly joint inflammation but no stomach problems).

Now we are back to eating gluten-free but we do take an enzyme when there might be a problem with cross-contamination.

We don't have a diagnosis so not sure if we have gluten-intolerance or celiac. So it does help but it isn't a license to eat anything.

Skylark Collaborator

There is nothing to debate, really. DPP-IV products are a scam. DPP-IV will not detoxify gluten, as it only cleaves prolines off the ends of peptides, not the internal proline-proline in the part of gliadin we react to. It absolutely, positively cannot make gluten safe and traces of gluten eaten with DPP-IV will still cause you damage. Save your money and buy the less expensive bromelain or papain if you find enzymes generally helpful.

elocin71 Apprentice

thank you for the scientific answer. it's always nice to know the reason why.

There is nothing to debate, really. DPP-IV products are a scam. DPP-IV will not detoxify gluten, as it only cleaves prolines off the ends of peptides, not the internal proline-proline in the part of gliadin we react to. It absolutely, positively cannot make gluten safe and traces of gluten eaten with DPP-IV will still cause you damage. Save your money and buy the less expensive bromelain or papain if you find enzymes generally helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blondie1985 Rookie

Thank you! I steered away from the DPP-IV enzymes, and began with a fabulous probiotic. Eventually I will add in some natural digestive enzymes, but just because I know this is a good idea generally. My original question wasn't because I was looking for something that would allow me to "get away" with cheating & consuming gluten. I was genuinely curious if it would help with ridding my body of accidental gluten in the case that this happened. Regardless, I'm excited about the probiotics.

• 1 month later...
Michelle1234 Contributor

I can't debate the science of it but here is my experience. When I was diagnosed I didn't have any known gluten symptoms beyond chest pains. I immediately attempted to eliminate all gluten from my diet. Like most others I wasn't successful at 100% reduction because I still was getting cross contaminated at home, getting glutened from shampoo and other products. However the less gluten I got the more sensitive I got. Eventually I couldn't eat out at all as I got glutened from cross contamination 9 out of 10 times. It's embarassing as heck to have explosive gas when out with others. It's also embarrassing to have to run to the restroom 20 min. after eating or risk an accident.

Then Glutenease came on the market. I read about it and decided to try it. I take it with their Digest Gold product every time I eat out. I am now never glutened from cross contamination. Did all the restaurants clean up their act? I don't think so. I credit the Glutenease. Does it prevent damage? I don't know but it sure is nice to not have lots of gas and diarrhea every time I eat out. On the rare occasion I get glutened at home I take it after the fact and it heads off the symptoms. It is a huge relief. I never intentionally eat gluten.

Best,

Michelle

Skylark Collaborator

There are rather a lot of enzymes in GlutenEase and even more in Digest Gold. I'm really glad to hear you found something that helps you, but how do you have any idea the is DPP-IV helping and not something else?

From the Enzymedica website "Enzymedica Digest Gold

Archived