46 replies to this topic

#16 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:36 PM

I would ask your doctor for a lactose intolerance or casien intolerance test. A lot of people have problems with milk, I personally get very bad reactions from it. I don't think the gluten-free diet would hurt you... your body is obviously upset at something... maybe you are still healing, maybe you have other intolerances, maybe you have a virus or bacterial infection that you can't shake like mono or something.

I had the nausea issue for a while after the diet, but it went away after awhile, I think my body was just going through a lot at the time. I do have a weaker stomach now than I used to though <_<
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:36 PM

Thanks, guys. I really would like to do this without meds.
Besides, if I ever did want a baby, you can't be taking anti-depressants.
I did just take half of a Xanax, but I only take those when I'm feeling really terrible, like today. The last time I took half of one was in April!
What I don't want is a drug you have to take EVERY day that you can't go off of without the help of a dr....scary!
An occassional Xanax is OK with me; I have NO adverse side effects from it and it really calms me down.
I am going to call a counselor tomorrow and begin that right away.
I enjoy doing yoga and walking, plus I waterski, but we just moved and I had to find a new gym, so I've been out of yoga for a bit. I took my first class in 2 months on Saturday and I'm glad I'm getting back into it.
It's hard to walk here, even in the evenings; today it is 111 degrees! But we still do sometimes!
I think I am going to try this without drugs-you guys have helped me know that is possible!! Thank you....

#18 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:41 PM

today it is 111 degrees

Blow some of that warm weather this way! I'll take it :D

I also find that exercising helps B)
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#19 connole1056

connole1056

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:23 PM

That is not true about being unable to take anti-depressants while pregnant. It's a myth. However, any medication not absolutely necessary can be stopped for the duration. Not all anti-depressants are addictive, or even difficult to stop using. Your doctor should know which ones are appropriate IF you do change your mind and decide to try them. You do seem like you are suffering though.
Have you ever been tested for lupus? If not maybe you should talk with a rheumatologist. You seem to have some symptoms, that is why I ask. If you have fatigue, inflammed or achy joints, arthritis, or hair loss then I suggest you get tested soon.
Another thing that comes to mind is Epstein Barr Disease and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Maybe you could research these and see if you think your symptoms fall into any of these categories.
In some instance, one has to be on the gluten-free diet for a long time before seeing improvement. I've heard some people say it took a year!
I truly hope you figure out what is causing you all this pain.

#20 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:31 PM

I think you *really* need to find out more about your potassium levels. It is such an important mineral! Do you like/tolerate bananas? Eat some :) They are really rich in potassium. Potassium supplements contain 99 mg, but a banana contains 500 mg. (I definitely do not recommend taking lots of potassium supplements - but bananas are good! :)) For more info on your need for potassium check out http://www.Lame Adve...1/ai_2603000100 - But don't go crazy with it. My grandpa has been hospitalized for having *too much* potassium and it caused a lot of problems and the detox they made him do was awful.

It enrages me that your doctor was so careless with you when you are having so much pain/frustration :( I am so sorry that you have to go through this!

Also - those blood pressure levels are not normal!

Another thing you might consider is the candida problem. I know that you've posted about that before and if you have a serious overgrowth, it can manifest through depression, lethargy, nausea, and lots of other fun symptoms.

What is your diet like? Besides not eating gluten, I mean ;) Do you ingest a lot of sugars? Or even a small amount of processed sugars?

I have problems with candida too and know that I would improve significantly if I cut sugar from my diet (and seriously limited fruits). Have you tried that already?

Everyone here has had great ideas - especially about the exercise. That always makes me feel a lot better (particularly weight lifting makes me feel tough! ;)) Something else that always makes me feel better is going up into the mountains, or to some other majestic and beautiful place. When I see something so breathtaking, it makes me realize that there's so much more beauty than ugliness in the world and life isn't really so bad ;)

I wish you the best!! *hug*

- Michelle :wub:

#21 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:51 AM

There are alot of great posts here. I have a few more suggestions. I have been very depressed before too over my children's health. To the point of almost taking antidepressants, but not doing it. I even have them sitting around. Anyway, I will share a few things that helped. I have low blood pressure too and that is low what you mentioned. Make sure you drink Alot of water each day, cut back on caffeine or even eliminate it. If you drink too much caffeine it can cause nausea in some people(it does for me) and also anxiety and irritability. I would also try and walk outside for at least 45 minutes everyday. The gluten free diet is healthy if you are eating healthy food, but if you are snacking on junk or not eating a well balanced diet, then I could see it making you feel worse. I think on this diet you have to focus on getting all the nutrients you did before. I think that eggs have healing properties in them when you are sick, so try and boil some eggs and eat those too. I know some people say they don't agree with them, but I buy the cage free eggs and boil them without the shells. I have been eating a couple 2-3 times a week. I think it has really helped my energy levels. Brown rice is great with black beans. Try eating salads and getting enough protein. Also cut back on sugar if you can. That is sometimes easier said then done. Anyway, these are all just a few suggestions, but I hope you are feeling better soon. Oh yeah, make sure you get enough sleep by going to bed before 10 pm if you can.
Ok, hope you feel better.
MOnica

#22 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:02 AM

Thanks, guys,
I do eat pretty healthy; not really much junk. I have a few cookies here and there but that's about it!
I don't have the symptoms of Lupus that you mentioned...I've checked into Fibromyalgia but don't have all the symptoms for diagnosis...Chronic Fatigue or Epstein Barr? Maybe..but I'm not so tired that I'm dragging all of the time. My energy levels are pretty decent.
I love bananas and have been eating more lately. Oh and I don't do caffeine. Except when I eat a chocolate chip cookie! I don't drink coffee at all or any soda with caffeine.
I always get at least 8 hours of sleep...this is the problem. I do all of the things I'm supposed to do to take good care of myself but still feel crappy. That's why I think there is something else going on that the dr.s aren't finding.
I am going off the pill next month b/c a nurse friend of mine says after 11 years on it it could be making me feel really terrible, too. She recommended I take Genisoy and swears it totally helps her sister, who had really bad periods and also had to go off the pill.
I guess I just need to hang in there-but I still don't get the blood pressure thing. Mine seems to fluctuate so much lately-it can't be right. A week ago at the dr. it was 120/80...all of a sudden yesterday it was 82/60? I don't get it.
I did look it up on the net at WebMD and it did say that 90/60 was considered normal. But, that's not normal for me. My dr. said my pulse was fine so that's what mattered?????
Anyway I appreciate your help and knowing you're here to talk when I need it..I"m trying to hang in there!!!
Jenn

#23 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:32 AM

Jenn-
Sorry for how you feel... There is a lot of good ideas in this post for you. The only other thing I could think of, hypoglycemia ? Did anyone mention that? It can make you shaky and anxious for sure, and for some--depressed. I have quite a few friends who have battled with depression...for most of them the meds have not helped. I have one friend who has been on lexapro for a while, and now faces a fearful period of going off the meds. He has chosen to go off of them because he is tired of how they numb his emotions, and he is longing to feel again. Do you have close friends or family who care for you well? Have you ever considered going to an informal counselor to talk things through when its get really bad?? Just a few more ideas... Good luck to ya girl !
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#24 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:20 PM

hI, JKNNEJ, I'm two & a half years in and although for me the nausea has dramatically disappeared of late :) almost every day I have three or half a dozen from a very wide range of symptoms.

I had a more or less similar experience to you about tests and diagnoses, and found that that didn't help my mind-body continuum and consensus about what I was going through & what I should do about it.

My acute abdominal symptoms followed on a family (of origin) trauma and a task at work that caused me strain and were followed by two home moves - the second in traumatic circumstances.

Of late I feel good about having stood up for myself, startingnew duties at work and having had friends help me improve my home. Also making nice food for myself and having nice simple food out.

Hoping things work out better & better for you ... :rolleyes:

#25 2old4

2old4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:21 PM

Yes I do get dizzy and nauseated, plus a "shaky" feeling on the inside.

Jenn- These were symptoms that I experienced also, and my doctor prescribed an anti-depressant along with counseling. It was definitely the answer for me. I took a low dosage and it was enough to really help and quite frankly, I had wished I had taken something long before. Now I realize that everyone is different and maybe you should try other things first, but just a positive experience to remember if you need to go that way. Take care- Patty
gluten-free since 05/19/05
Positive Bloodwork
Patty from Maine

#26 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:11 AM

Patty, what medicine did you take and for how long?

#27 2old4

2old4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:58 PM

Hi Jenn-
I took 50mg Zoloft for awhile and I am currently on 20mg Lexapro. I had no issues with Zoloft, I was only taken off of it because it was thought to be the reason for my diarrhea, which in fact was celiac, I just didn't know it yet. I went off them for about a year and was fine until a death in my family and have since needed them. I do not feel foggy or drugged, I'm clearer than ever, in fact, the only time that happens is occasionally when I inadvertantly ingest gluten.
I did take Effexor for awhile, but had terrible headaches and nightmares when going off or if I missed a day. I did not have those side effects from Zoloft or Lexapro. Most anti-depressant literature says it takes around 3 weeks for full effectiveness and I believe that is true, but I did see some positive changes in myself within 1 week.
Also, do you have trouble focusing? Does your mind race, especially at night when you are trying to sleep?
Patty
gluten-free since 05/19/05
Positive Bloodwork
Patty from Maine

#28 connole1056

connole1056

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:37 PM

Please keep us posted. I really hope you find out what is causing your problems. There are many different drugs you can take. The side-effects felt by one person may not effect you at all, so IF you go on one and have problems then do tell your doctor so you can try another. My big fear is weight gain, but that pales in comparison to some of the other side effects. I was not aware Paxil could cause fatigue, and having lupus I was fatigued enough.So I was able to switch.I know you said you don't have the lupus symptoms, but a few things you mention made me think you do. I am not trying to make you get tested, but it is an auto-immune disease, like celiac disease is, and then can be connected so you might mention it to your dr. I know this sounds preachy and I do not mean it to. Take care!

#29 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:48 PM

I thought you said Lupus symptoms were hair loss, fatigue, and achy joints. I don't have any of those symptoms so I don't think that could be it....my energy level is fine, I don't ache, and I don't have hair loss...
I actually tried to take Zoloft but it made me terribly nauseated..literally gagging and you know how your head "buzzes" right before you throw up? That's what Zoloft did to me. I had to stop taking it; I couldn't go to work I was so sick.
Xanax works pretty well for me; I might just keep taking that. Half of a pill calms me down and I noticed the last two days I took half a pill I have felt MUCH better.
I may just continue to take this for awhile; my dr. did prescibe the ones you take daily, the timed release, but I didn't want to "have" to take it so I think I'll stick with the 25 mg ones that you take when you need it.
None of these drugs actually fix the problem which is why I don't want to get "hooked" on an Effexor-like kind of drug. I don't need xanax every day...so I don't want to have to take a pill every day. I go thru periods of bad stress, like everyone else, and that's when I need to take something. So I will probably not take the Effexor. I don't know..time will tell.
I'm going thru a job change right now that is so stressful. I am a choir teacher/opera singer who has been offered an AWESOME job. Problem? I can't sing!!! Since going gluten-free, I have almost entirely lost my voice. I've been working with a professor who is an expert in vocal issues and he cannot figure out what is wrong; I have pictures of my vocal cords and they look fine. I am so worried I will not be able to do this great job that I love.:( I am so depressed about it. I have started selling real estate to have a fall back job but it is sooo hard...I have no contacts and the only way to get business is to walk around neighborhoods, spend $$ advertising, call people, etc. I've never been in sales so this is not comfortable for me; I am a musician and teacher at heart.
My job starts in August and unless I magically get my voice back by then I really don't know what I will do....

#30 Matilda

Matilda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:00 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: