This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's The Deal With Post's Fruity Pebbles Cereal?

JennyW

JennyW Newbie

My almost 2 year old daughter was just recently diagnosed with Celiac (confirmed via blood test/endoscopy) and I am trying out different kid friendly snack food for her. I read the ingredients on Post's Fruity Pebbles Cereal and saw that there were no gluten containing ingredients and bought some. Then I got home and decided to call the manufacturer just in case and asked if the cereal was gluten free. They told me that the Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, and Cupcake pebbles are all made on DESIGNATED gluten free lines, but that they are in a facility that processes other cereals. Has anyone had a problem with this cereal? It seems to me that being on designated lines would mean they would be considered gluten free? Also, does anyone know what the regulations are on printing whether a product is made in a facility that processes wheat are? Based on what I've seen on other processed items, it seems to be hit and miss. They direct you to their ingredient list, but if they're putting that food on a flour coated line, it seems like they'd have to tell you about it! I know the FDA requires that they clearly notate whether the product specifically contains one of the top 8 allergens, but I can't find any information regarding whether or not they have to print that the facility processes one of the top 8 allergens. Thanks for any info. This forum has been an incredible resource for me and my family as we adjust to our daughter's gluten free diet. I can't believe how quickly she responded to the diet change and what a different person she is now...it's incredible that all we needed to do was change the food we were giving her---just wish we had known earlier before going through months of throwing up, diarrhea, Emergency Room trips, etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kim27 Contributor

I eat the Fruity Pebbles a few times a week and I've never had a problem. As far as I know the laws don't regulate "made in facility". There are some companies that willing put that on there, but they aren't required to. That's my understanding. That said, if it's a designated gluten-free line within that same facility , I think it's unlikely to give someone a problem. It's not coming in contact with anything.

scarlett77 Apprentice

We have also not had any issues with Fruity Pebbles. My general rule is made in the same facility is OK, made on the same equipment is NOT OK.

twohokies Newbie

Do you have a Wegmans in your area? They make a fruity pebbles that they advertise as gluten-free, which I think means that they aren't made in the same facility. That is an option.

JennyW Newbie

I live on the west coast, so do not have a Wegmans, but maybe I will be on the lookout in other stores! Thanks for the suggestion :)

Do you have a Wegmans in your area? They make a fruity pebbles that they advertise as gluten-free, which I think means that they aren't made in the same facility. That is an option.

lovegrov Collaborator

Not required to print anything what's made in the facility. I wouldn't worry about eating the Pebbles.

richard

rosetapper23 Explorer

The statistics for gluten-free food made in facilities where wheat is also processed is 30% likelihood of being contaminated and 70% if the equipment itself is used to process both gluten-free and wheat products. That said, I eat either Cocoa Pebbles or Fruity Pebbles on a regular basis (have for the past seven years since being diagnosed with celiac), and I've NEVER had a problem with their cereals.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

I'd be leery of it, honestly, especially with your daughter so small yet that she can't really tell you if she's not feeling well.

My daughter was 11 when she was diagnosed. We started her on gluten-free foods and she improved, but it wasn't until the last few months (she's 12 now) that we were able to tell that some of the gluten-free food still had more gluten than she could handle. Most of it here in the States is 20ppm or less, and now that we've figured out some things, we're realizing that she's reacting to foods between 10ppm and 20ppm. :o She has now had reactions to pretty much all the cereals we've tried, including ones that are labeled 'gluten free,' like the envirokids ones.

But some of her gluten symptoms that have developed (or we've figured out) over the last year are things like her arms and legs feeling shaky and weak, crying jags, exhaustion and difficulty waking, depression - things that were difficult to figure out even when we had a child that could talk to us about it, ya know? Many times, we've had to cut out most processed foods when she starts reacting just so we can figure out what she's been reacting to. I think that would be a much more challenging process with a little bitty who can't really express clearly all her symptoms.

Another factor to consider, if you do try the fruity pebbles, is amounts. I only mention this because I know with my kids, if they had a snack they liked, they could just eat it all the time, especially when we were on trips and that sort of thing. But gluten-free food reminds me of low calorie food - it's low calorie, but eat enough of it and it'll still be a lot of calories. Since our gluten free food is actually 'really low gluten' rather than 'no gluten,' if your midget has a day when she eats a lot of fruity pebbles, she can still have issues with it.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I too have eaten both of the pebbles for close to 7 years without ever having an issue. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone being sick from it either, on this board, but sometimes threads get a little too long for my attention span. Your daughter is young and maybe the cereal is a bit more sugar than she's accustomed to?

nmlove Contributor

I'd be leery of it, honestly, especially with your daughter so small yet that she can't really tell you if she's not feeling well.

She has now had reactions to pretty much all the cereals we've tried, including ones that are labeled 'gluten free,' like the envirokids ones.

Another factor to consider, if you do try the fruity pebbles, is amounts. I only mention this because I know with my kids, if they had a snack they liked, they could just eat it all the time, especially when we were on trips and that sort of thing. But gluten-free food reminds me of low calorie food - it's low calorie, but eat enough of it and it'll still be a lot of calories. Since our gluten free food is actually 'really low gluten' rather than 'no gluten,' if your midget has a day when she eats a lot of fruity pebbles, she can still have issues with it.

Interesting. My two sons are young (3 and 5). They were doing great the first 6 months on the diet and now we're struggling to see why their symptoms are returning when nothing new has been added. They never tell me if they're hurting (they never did pre-diagnosis either) so I can only go off bathroom antics and behavior problems. I did take away their rice milk and while it seems to have helped, they still seem not quite right. Very frustrating! So, what do you do for breakfast? My 5 year old is a cereal junkie. I limit him to one bowl a day because it's so darn expensive.

JennyW Newbie

Personally, my little one does scrambled eggs for breakfast with some cheese and fruit. But, if cereal is the thing to have, I just recently found that the General Mills Chex cereals have 5 flavors that are now gluten free (Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Honey Nut Chex, Chocolate Chex, and Cinnamon Chex). Unlike the specialty boxed cereals (Envirokids for example), the Chex ones seemed more regularly priced, so it might be an option for you :)

Interesting. My two sons are young (3 and 5). They were doing great the first 6 months on the diet and now we're struggling to see why their symptoms are returning when nothing new has been added. They never tell me if they're hurting (they never did pre-diagnosis either) so I can only go off bathroom antics and behavior problems. I did take away their rice milk and while it seems to have helped, they still seem not quite right. Very frustrating! So, what do you do for breakfast? My 5 year old is a cereal junkie. I limit him to one bowl a day because it's so darn expensive.

missy'smom Collaborator

So, what do you do for breakfast?

My kiddo likes chicken and rice soup in the cooler weather. Other breakfast staples for him are cheese cubes, ham, bacon, gluten-free toast or open face ham and cheese melt on gluten-free bread, hash browns-can be made the night before and warmed up-Ore Ida makes some that are gluten-free, fruit, yogurt, homemade gluten-free pancakes(made ahead in a batch, frozen and warmed up), apples and nut butter of some sort...

twohokies Newbie

When my 3yo was diagnosed, my husband ran out and bought all the super expensive organic gluten-free cereals. *I* buy her chex and kix and of course the Wegmans fruity pebbles. There are a few other options I've noticed on the regular cereal shelf, but since I haven't purchased them yet I can't recall. Chex does also make chocolate chex which is a GREAT snack!

nmlove Contributor

Thanks for the breakfast ideas. I didn't mean to highjack the thread. ;) I do make eggs, pancakes, etc but that's like 2nd breakfast to them. I have little hobbits in the making I guess with the amount of food they can put away (who knew a 3 and 5 year old could eat so much?!). They do like eating my version of muesli - gluten free oats with cut up apple and nuts with milk to wet. And cooked oatmeal too. Maybe I'm the one in the food rut! I will try less expensive cereals and see if they help the budget. I'm really trying to get away from anything "special" to cut down on costs. Now I just need to find a good snacking bar that's easy to make and not too sugary but the kids still want to eat!

buffettbride Enthusiast

My super-sensitive Celiac eats Fruity and/or Cocoa Pebbles with no problems, ever. Probably have about 1 box per month.

Darn210 Enthusiast

The statistics for gluten-free food made in facilities where wheat is also processed is 30% likelihood of being contaminated and 70% if the equipment itself is used to process both gluten-free and wheat products. That said, I eat either Cocoa Pebbles or Fruity Pebbles on a regular basis (have for the past seven years since being diagnosed with celiac), and I've NEVER had a problem with their cereals.

I have never seen any sort of percentage attributed to processing in the same facility or line. Could you please provide a link/source for your information?

We've had fruity pebbles here without any (gluten) issues. However, I do limit the amount because both of my children have reacted (when they were younger) to food dye, so in general, I just try to avoid/limit foods that have a fair amount of it (even though nobody has had a reaction in the last couple of years.)

T.H. Community Regular

So, what do you do for breakfast?

we often end up following the example of a Japanese friend of ours and we have little plates of leftovers for breakfast. Maybe add in another food to it, to make it pretty, fun, and lighter, typically. Other than that, we tend to stay to veggies, fruits, and maybe a little meat for breakfast. Or a handful of nuts over fruit is good, too, especially with a little maple syrup mixed in with the nuts. :-)

It's pretty much revamped how we think of breakfast - we were a TOTAL cereal family before all the celiac stuff hit us. I still sometimes find myself leaving space in the cupboard for the cereal that I'm 'going to buy' at the grocery store, LOL.

polarbearscooby Explorer

Kinda random question...

But are KIX gluten-free?!

They were my favorite cereal growing up and I haven't had any in over a year (since going gluten-free) and it would totally make my week if they were....

sa1937 Community Regular

Kinda random question...

They were my favorite cereal growing up and I haven't had any in over a year (since going gluten-free) and it would totally make my week if they were....

I always liked Kix, too. I don't see any offending ingredients listed and I do eat them occasionally. General Mills is pretty cautious about putting the gluten free label on their foods. Perhaps they're manufactured in a shared facility or on shared lines.

twohokies Newbie

Kinda random question...

I read on another thread that while Kix are gluten-free ingredients, Gen Mills isn't stepping up to advertise or have them quoted as saying they are safe since they aren't guaranteeing the manufacturing facilities. I've been giving them to my 3yo and she's been fine with the Kix.

• 2 weeks later...
Celiac newbie Newbie

My almost 2 year old daughter was just recently diagnosed with Celiac (confirmed via blood test/endoscopy) and I am trying out different kid friendly snack food for her. I read the ingredients on Post's Fruity Pebbles Cereal and saw that there were no gluten containing ingredients and bought some. Then I got home and decided to call the manufacturer just in case and asked if the cereal was gluten free. They told me that the Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, and Cupcake pebbles are all made on DESIGNATED gluten free lines, but that they are in a facility that processes other cereals. Has anyone had a problem with this cereal? It seems to me that being on designated lines would mean they would be considered gluten free? Also, does anyone know what the regulations are on printing whether a product is made in a facility that processes wheat are? Based on what I've seen on other processed items, it seems to be hit and miss. They direct you to their ingredient list, but if they're putting that food on a flour coated line, it seems like they'd have to tell you about it! I know the FDA requires that they clearly notate whether the product specifically contains one of the top 8 allergens, but I can't find any information regarding whether or not they have to print that the facility processes one of the top 8 allergens. Thanks for any info. This forum has been an incredible resource for me and my family as we adjust to our daughter's gluten free diet. I can't believe how quickly she responded to the diet change and what a different person she is now...it's incredible that all we needed to do was change the food we were giving her---just wish we had known earlier before going through months of throwing up, diarrhea, Emergency Room trips, etc.

The cupcake pebbles are NOT gluten free! I couldn't figure out why i was getting sick, because I just assumed they were since the other 2 kinds are! Then I read the ing. and sure enough as plain as day it is listed!! It's in the marshmallow!! :o:blink: :blink: just f.y.i

modiddly16 Enthusiast

cupcake pebbles don't have marshmallows...The Cupcake pebbles actually are gluten free and have been confirmed so by Post. There is a pebbles with marshmallows that isn't gluten free, but thats a different one than the cupcake.

Hope this helps!

Christine E Newbie

My son hasn't had any problems with Pebbles cereals, but FYI the new Marshmallow Pebbles has gluten in it. Also, keep in mind the top 8 allergens do not include barley, rye, or oats. Watch for behavioral changes in your kids too. Melt downs, long tantrums, excessive whining seem to be symptoms of glutening in my child.

ProudMommyDebbie Rookie

My kids eat Envirokids cereals

General Mills does say these are Gluten Free, and my kids are doing great eating them:

* Rice Chex

* Corn Chex

* Trix

* Kix

* Dora the Explorer

• 1 month later...
butrfly913 Newbie

Thanks for the breakfast ideas. I didn't mean to highjack the thread. ;) I do make eggs, pancakes, etc but that's like 2nd breakfast to them. I have little hobbits in the making I guess with the amount of food they can put away (who knew a 3 and 5 year old could eat so much?!). They do like eating my version of muesli - gluten free oats with cut up apple and nuts with milk to wet. And cooked oatmeal too. Maybe I'm the one in the food rut! I will try less expensive cereals and see if they help the budget. I'm really trying to get away from anything "special" to cut down on costs. Now I just need to find a good snacking bar that's easy to make and not too sugary but the kids still want to eat!

I was never a big cereal eater before I realized I was GI. I was a HUGE bagel or toast in the morning. But with the cost of gluten-free bread and bagels and not to mention the fact that they really don't taste the same, I had to switch it up. I am very new to this (3 months) and trying new things all the time while trying to stay in my grocery budget and feed my non-gi family, but I really must share that Chex cereals has really been a godsend! Whenever I am really in a bind about what to eat, I eat a bowl of Chex or munch on some dry when I need a quick pick-me-up snack. And there are so many Chex Mix recipes on their website to try, sweet and salty varieties. Good luck to you!

Archived