Jump to content

Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            




   arrowShare this page:
   

   Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

 
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    


Photo
- - - - -

What's The Deal With Post's Fruity Pebbles Cereal?


  • Please log in to reply

25 replies to this topic

#16 Darn210

 
Darn210

    Cookies!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts
 

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

The statistics for gluten-free food made in facilities where wheat is also processed is 30% likelihood of being contaminated and 70% if the equipment itself is used to process both gluten-free and wheat products. That said, I eat either Cocoa Pebbles or Fruity Pebbles on a regular basis (have for the past seven years since being diagnosed with celiac), and I've NEVER had a problem with their cereals.


I have never seen any sort of percentage attributed to processing in the same facility or line. Could you please provide a link/source for your information?




We've had fruity pebbles here without any (gluten) issues. However, I do limit the amount because both of my children have reacted (when they were younger) to food dye, so in general, I just try to avoid/limit foods that have a fair amount of it (even though nobody has had a reaction in the last couple of years.)
  • 0
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.


Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 T.H.

 
T.H.

    Advanced Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
 

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:13 AM

So, what do you do for breakfast?


we often end up following the example of a Japanese friend of ours and we have little plates of leftovers for breakfast. Maybe add in another food to it, to make it pretty, fun, and lighter, typically. Other than that, we tend to stay to veggies, fruits, and maybe a little meat for breakfast. Or a handful of nuts over fruit is good, too, especially with a little maple syrup mixed in with the nuts. :-)

It's pretty much revamped how we think of breakfast - we were a TOTAL cereal family before all the celiac stuff hit us. I still sometimes find myself leaving space in the cupboard for the cereal that I'm 'going to buy' at the grocery store, LOL.
  • 0

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive


#18 polarbearscooby

 
polarbearscooby

    Advanced Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
 

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:22 AM

Kinda random question...
But are KIX gluten-free?!

They were my favorite cereal growing up and I haven't had any in over a year (since going gluten-free) and it would totally make my week if they were....
  • 0

#19 sa1937

 
sa1937

    Advanced Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts
 

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

Kinda random question...
But are KIX gluten-free?!

They were my favorite cereal growing up and I haven't had any in over a year (since going gluten-free) and it would totally make my week if they were....

I always liked Kix, too. I don't see any offending ingredients listed and I do eat them occasionally. General Mills is pretty cautious about putting the gluten free label on their foods. Perhaps they're manufactured in a shared facility or on shared lines.
  • 0
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#20 twohokies

 
twohokies

    Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
 

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

Kinda random question...
But are KIX gluten-free?!

They were my favorite cereal growing up and I haven't had any in over a year (since going gluten-free) and it would totally make my week if they were....


I read on another thread that while Kix are gluten-free ingredients, Gen Mills isn't stepping up to advertise or have them quoted as saying they are safe since they aren't guaranteeing the manufacturing facilities. I've been giving them to my 3yo and she's been fine with the Kix.
  • 0

#21 Celiac newbie

 
Celiac newbie

    New Community Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
 

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

My almost 2 year old daughter was just recently diagnosed with Celiac (confirmed via blood test/endoscopy) and I am trying out different kid friendly snack food for her. I read the ingredients on Post's Fruity Pebbles Cereal and saw that there were no gluten containing ingredients and bought some. Then I got home and decided to call the manufacturer just in case and asked if the cereal was gluten free. They told me that the Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, and Cupcake pebbles are all made on DESIGNATED gluten free lines, but that they are in a facility that processes other cereals. Has anyone had a problem with this cereal? It seems to me that being on designated lines would mean they would be considered gluten free? Also, does anyone know what the regulations are on printing whether a product is made in a facility that processes wheat are? Based on what I've seen on other processed items, it seems to be hit and miss. They direct you to their ingredient list, but if they're putting that food on a flour coated line, it seems like they'd have to tell you about it! I know the FDA requires that they clearly notate whether the product specifically contains one of the top 8 allergens, but I can't find any information regarding whether or not they have to print that the facility processes one of the top 8 allergens. Thanks for any info. This forum has been an incredible resource for me and my family as we adjust to our daughter's gluten free diet. I can't believe how quickly she responded to the diet change and what a different person she is now...it's incredible that all we needed to do was change the food we were giving her---just wish we had known earlier before going through months of throwing up, diarrhea, Emergency Room trips, etc.




The cupcake pebbles are NOT gluten free! I couldn't figure out why i was getting sick, because I just assumed they were since the other 2 kinds are! Then I read the ing. and sure enough as plain as day it is listed!! It's in the marshmallow!! :o :blink: :blink: just f.y.i
  • 0

#22 modiddly16

 
modiddly16

    Advanced Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
 

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:19 AM

cupcake pebbles don't have marshmallows...The Cupcake pebbles actually are gluten free and have been confirmed so by Post. There is a pebbles with marshmallows that isn't gluten free, but thats a different one than the cupcake.

Hope this helps!
  • 0

#23 Christine E

 
Christine E

    Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
 

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

My son hasn't had any problems with Pebbles cereals, but FYI the new Marshmallow Pebbles has gluten in it. Also, keep in mind the top 8 allergens do not include barley, rye, or oats. Watch for behavioral changes in your kids too. Melt downs, long tantrums, excessive whining seem to be symptoms of glutening in my child.
  • 0

#24 ProudMommyDebbie

 
ProudMommyDebbie

    New Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
 

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

My kids eat Envirokids cereals

General Mills does say these are Gluten Free, and my kids are doing great eating them:
* Rice Chex
* Corn Chex
* Trix
* Kix
* Dora the Explorer
  • 0
Debbie - Mom to 3 Children with Celiac Disease

#25 butrfly913

 
butrfly913

    New Community Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
 

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the breakfast ideas. I didn't mean to highjack the thread. ;) I do make eggs, pancakes, etc but that's like 2nd breakfast to them. I have little hobbits in the making I guess with the amount of food they can put away (who knew a 3 and 5 year old could eat so much?!). They do like eating my version of muesli - gluten free oats with cut up apple and nuts with milk to wet. And cooked oatmeal too. Maybe I'm the one in the food rut! I will try less expensive cereals and see if they help the budget. I'm really trying to get away from anything "special" to cut down on costs. Now I just need to find a good snacking bar that's easy to make and not too sugary but the kids still want to eat!


I was never a big cereal eater before I realized I was GI. I was a HUGE bagel or toast in the morning. But with the cost of gluten-free bread and bagels and not to mention the fact that they really don't taste the same, I had to switch it up. I am very new to this (3 months) and trying new things all the time while trying to stay in my grocery budget and feed my non-gi family, but I really must share that Chex cereals has really been a godsend! Whenever I am really in a bind about what to eat, I eat a bowl of Chex or munch on some dry when I need a quick pick-me-up snack. And there are so many Chex Mix recipes on their website to try, sweet and salty varieties. Good luck to you!
  • 0

#26 JeepWidow

 
JeepWidow

    New Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
 

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

Fruity Pebbles are now labeled as Gluten Free. The manufacture went through the certification process. The new boxes are supposed to roll out in Jan 2011. My local grocery has the new boxes and after eating 1 box in two days myself yesterday I can vouch that I had no ill effects, only complete happiness :-)
  • 0




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: