2 replies to this topic

#1 Biketrials247

Biketrials247

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 06:24 PM

Hi all, I am new to this...but here goes.

Cooking is not the problem in my kitchen. In my home, I have to work alongside my non-Celiac mother. For starters, I have to do my own shopping in order to provide myself with good foods, however I was more interested in some other problems. I am going to such great lengths to prevent any contamination of my foods when preparing meals. My preperation area is cleaner than a hospital could do with an autoclave. However, other areas may not be so well taken care of. Despite all of my care. reactions keep occurring. Recently, I watched my mother use the same rag which she uses to wipe up bread crumbs etc to wipe off the coffee maker(as well as the dripper on the inside). I feel that this may be the source of my problems. I know I am using only gluten-free material in the process, so I am beginning to wonder if I will ever be able to cook while I am still at home or not.
I guess what I am really asking is how careful do I need to be? do I need to buy a new coffee maker? is my mother spreading gluten all over our kitchen, creating an unsafe barrier between me and any food in my house?
Any suggestions on keeping a gluten-free diet, while cooking in a non-gluten-free house? or am I pretty much religated to prepackaged meals for months?

thanks,
Kevin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 06:47 PM

Hi Kevin,

I am in a similar situation, only I'm the mom (who needs to eat gluten-free) and it is my husband and kids spreading gluten all over the kitchen, and everywhere else! I am trying to get us all gluten free. My kids tests(for gluten intolerance) are done, and I will get their results soon, but I am letting them finish off the gluten foods and slowly introducing the gluten-free foods to them. I am not buying anymore, but what is still here is enough to contaminate an army of Celiacs! I don't know what to tell you on how to make it better, since I can't seem to get there myself, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone. And I wouldn't drink the coffee if I were you! :huh:

God bless,
Mariann :)
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 jenni

jenni

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 10:27 AM

I also wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I am the Celiac mother like the previous post with a non Celiac family. They are aware of my condition but obliviously contaminate the kitchen every day. I cringe as they make a sandwich and wipe their hands on the dish drying towel without washing first, as they wipe the counter top and then put the rag back on the sink, etc. I don't want to make my family "suffer" with a gluten-free kitchen so I make it my responsibility to make sure I am careful. They do what they can and of what they are aware of but from there on it's up to me. I do have separate appliances for myself. I throw the rag in the wash after every meal and after snacks. I bought bundles of them at the Walmart and I go through many a day. I have separate cheese, butter, lunchmeat, etc. in the fridge. (They touch the meat and cheese after getting their bread out of the bag) I put brightly colored stickers on my things in the fridge so that they know what's mine. No, you don't have to eat prepackaged foods! I don't even touch them and I eat three good meals a day. I hope everything works out for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: