11 replies to this topic

#1 rose_thorn98

rose_thorn98

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

I have heard that beauty products can contain Gluten. I used to use Aveeno products, but now I think those might be off limits.

What body lotion and other beauty products are safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 suzanne*

suzanne*

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

Is gluten absorbed through the skin?? (I am new here and didn't know we needed to get gluten free beauty products!)

#3 realmaverick

realmaverick

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

I'd love to know the names of which ingredients to look out for in skincare products.
Main Symptoms
  • Extreme Fatigue
  • Anxiety, Brain fog
  • Sore Eyes

Diet and Supplements Started 23rd September 2010
  • 100% Gluten Free
  • Holland & Barratt, Vitamin B Complex. 100mg B1, B2, B6, B12
  • Holland & Barratt, Omega 3 Fish Oil. 1360mg x 2. 1900mg Active EPA/DHA
  • Mightidophilus, Enteneric Coated Probiotic. 20 Billion MO, 12 Strains.

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

Whether gluten can be absorbed through the skin is a topic much discussed here without finding a consensus.

What we do know for sure is that many products that start out as external use can end up being ingested. Shampoo can get into your mouth from runoff while you shower. Hand lotion can transfer to your mouth directly from your hands, or indirectly when you touch food with your hands.

Whether this matters is a question of your sensitivity level. I am not super-sensitive, but choose to use gluten-free soap (Ivory) and shampoo (Neutrogena).
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 realmaverick

realmaverick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

Peter is it listed as gluten or something else?

I think with Shampoo for example, you could easily get it in to your mouth.
Main Symptoms
  • Extreme Fatigue
  • Anxiety, Brain fog
  • Sore Eyes

Diet and Supplements Started 23rd September 2010
  • 100% Gluten Free
  • Holland & Barratt, Vitamin B Complex. 100mg B1, B2, B6, B12
  • Holland & Barratt, Omega 3 Fish Oil. 1360mg x 2. 1900mg Active EPA/DHA
  • Mightidophilus, Enteneric Coated Probiotic. 20 Billion MO, 12 Strains.

#6 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:40 AM

I have heard that beauty products can contain Gluten. I used to use Aveeno products, but now I think those might be off limits.

What body lotion and other beauty products are safe?

I just received gluten-free body products from a company called body sense. Just do a google with their name and their site will pop up. They have a Gluten Free area on their web site. I am new to the forum but I seem to be sensitive to a lot of foods and other things that are considered gluten-free and tolerated well by many others here. I imagine that bath and hair products could affect someone who is sensitive because the pores are open. I'm new here so I'll let the expert handle it. Just wanted to mention the company (don't know if I can link their site here).

Loey Posted Image

#7 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:50 AM

I'd love to know the names of which ingredients to look out for in skincare products.

OK, now is when I can get my resource geek hat out and put it on. Here are some links I found. Hope they help.

Loey Posted Image

P.S. hope it's all right to post the sites this way. I'm still stumbling my way around here.

http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/afrikan-wholistic-health/12737-10-ingredients-avoid-putting-your-hair.html

http://www.healthy-communications.com/harmfulingredients1.html

http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-choose-true-gluten-free-shampoo-products-a253425

http://motowngirl.com/index.php/ingredients-to-avoid.html

http://blog.dermadoctor.com/2009/05/gluten-free-skincare/

#8 precious831

precious831

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:02 AM

A few weeks ago someone posted a link to other names of gluten that can be found in shampoos/lotions/soaps. I'll find it and post it.

I use Ivory, Johnson and Johnson, Shikai Borage lotion, can't remember the other ones. But they are all gluten-free.
Grain-free,dairy-free, soy-free (celiac, possible colitis now as well).
Extremely allergic to shellfish, Aspirin & Ibuprofen

#9 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:50 AM

A few weeks ago someone posted a link to other names of gluten that can be found in shampoos/lotions/soaps. I'll find it and post it.

I use Ivory, Johnson and Johnson, Shikai Borage lotion, can't remember the other ones. But they are all gluten-free.

Good to know Ivory Snow is OK(unscented, I assume). I use that for face and sometimes in shower. I think Peter mentioned Neutrogena.

Loey

#10 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

I'm not sure what if it is gluten-free or not, but I use Pureology and Nexxus on my hair, Oil of Olay on my face, and Bath and Body Works on my body. SO far so good. I also use Clinique makeup and moisturizer and it seems to be going ok.

I have VERY long hair, and there is a straightening product I use with wheat in it, I just wash my hands after I use it.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#11 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

I'm not sure what if it is gluten-free or not, but I use Pureology and Nexxus on my hair, Oil of Olay on my face, and Bath and Body Works on my body. SO far so good. I also use Clinique makeup and moisturizer and it seems to be going ok.

I have VERY long hair, and there is a straightening product I use with wheat in it, I just wash my hands after I use it.

I also found a company called body sense gluten-free products pretty reasonable and it arrived within 4 days of my placing the order.

Loey Posted Image

http://www.BodySense.com/

#12 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:35 PM

I also use ivory soap and Neutrogena and then the shampoo, conditioner, body soap, hair gel and spray from body sense,. A lot of these were recommended by our Peter (he must have soft skin). I spent a fortune on hair products before I moved and now don't think I should use them. I'll donate them, I guess. My eyesight makes it hard to read some of the labels (I think they use the smallest font on purpose)! I need to buy more make-up. Yves Roche had= gluten-free and so does Origins. Just all so expensive!!!!

Loey Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: