This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking For Chili Recipe

Wenmin

Wenmin Enthusiast

I would like to make a chili for a Halloween Party. Is chili powder gluten free? Seems like every prepackaged chili mix I find has some sort of gluten thickener in it. HELP!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

I would like to make a chili for a Halloween Party. Is chili powder gluten free? Seems like every prepackaged chili mix I find has some sort of gluten thickener in it. HELP!

I use ground beef or turkey (cooked and drained), 4 cans of kidney beans, 1 large can of tomatoes, I don't measure my spices but I use salt and pepper, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, oregano, garlic and onion powders and a dash of cayenne pepper. My family really likes this chili.

Jestgar Rising Star

I use tomato paste to help thicken, and sometimes throw in some crushed dried mushrooms for the same reason.

kareng Grand Master

If you want a good thickener for chili, tear corn tortillas up and throw in the pot. The good thing about chili is you can put lot of things in it. Sometimes I put in corn or chopped tomatoes or sweet red peppers.

From Williams Spice mix web site, the list of gluten-free seasoning mixes (check the web site, I'm not sure they all copied):

WILLIAMS FOODS

PRODUCTS THAT DO NOT CONTAIN GLUTEN INGREDIENTS

Note: Gluten Free Claims

Although some formulas supplied by Williams Foods, a division of C. H. Guenther & Son, Inc. may not contain any gluten ingredients we do not make Gluten Free Claims.

Williams Foods production and warehouse facilities contain gluten products and, although Good Cleaning Practices are followed, all formulas share production machinery and warehouse space with those that do contain gluten.

Open Original Shared Link

Williams Bag-N-Bake Chicken

Sunbird General Tso's Chicken

Williams Original or Fancy Chili

Sunbird Honey Sesame Chicken

Williams Chili with Onions

Sunbird Hot & Spicy Fried Rice

Williams Chipotle Chili

Sunbird Hot & Spicy Kung Pao

Williams Chipotle Taco

Sunbird Hot & Spicy Szechwan

Williams Country Store Chili Soup

Sunbird Lemon Chicken Stir Fry

Williams Country Store Tortilla Soup

Sunbird Mongolian Beef

Williams Taco

Sunbird Spicy Orange Beef

Williams Tex Mex Taco (Hot)

Sunbird Oriental Vegetable Stir Fry

Williams Tex-Mex Chili

Sunbird Phad Thai

Williams White Chicken Chili

Sunbird Spare Rib

Williams Jel Ease, Pectin

Sunbird Stir Fry

Wagners Hollandaise

Sunbird Sweet and Sour

Tradiciones Carne Adovada

Sunbird Tempura Batter

Tradiciones Chimichurri

Sunbird Thai Chicken

Tradiciones Green Mole

Sunbird Thai Fried Rice

Tradiciones Guajillo Enchilada

Sunbird Thai Red Curry

Tradiciones Red Mole

Sunbird Thai Spicy Beef

Swanson Chicken Salad

Sunbird Thai Stir Fry

Sunbird Beef and Broccoli

Sunbird Asian Skillet Classics

Sweet & Sour Pork

Sunbird Chinese Chicken Salad

Grandmas Spaghetti

Sunbird Chop Suey

Grandmas Chili Package

Sunbird Chow Mein

Grandmas Bag N Bake Chicken

Sunbird Fried Rice

kareng Grand Master

This is a good basic veggie chili that you can add or subtract from:

5 medium chopped carrots

2 med diced potatoes

1 med chopped onion

1 sm chopped red bel1 pepper

1 tbsp chili powder

1 teasp cumin

1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes

1 14 oz vegetable broth

2 15 oz can rinsed beans or garbanzo

1 8 oz tomato sauce

1 med zucchini, cubed

Microwave the carrots, potatos, onion and bell pepper 5 minutes on high. Put into a pot and add other ingredients except zucchini. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes ( check that carrots are cooked). Add zucchini and simmer 5 minutes.

Use low sodium tomatoes or tom sauce. I use Kitchen basics broth. I like it spicier so I put in extra chili powder and cumin. Added a little smoked paprika and powdered ancho chili.

Things to add or substitute (add more broth if needed):

cooked chicken

cheese on top

frozen corn

leave out potatoes and add more beans or veggies - use over rice or a baked potato

Emilushka Contributor

Bush's Chili Beans don't use gluten in their chili sauce, if you're looking for a little help with the seasoning. I checked their ingredients and couldn't find a single gluten ingredient on there (and no warnings about cross-contamination). HOWEVER if you are super-sensitive, be careful or check with the company before buying because I haven't actually cooked with them since going gluten-free yet, and I don't think I'm as super-sensitive as some in this forum. So be careful.

Dixiebell Contributor

I just looked at their site again. Is this fairly recent? I remember looking not to long ago and seeing that they were not gluten-free. Good news that they are now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emilushka Contributor

I just looked at their site again. Is this fairly recent? I remember looking not to long ago and seeing that they were not gluten-free. Good news that they are now.

You mean Bush's? I bought within the last couple weeks, so yes, recent.

freeatlast Collaborator

I use a can of black beans, unrinsed, and a can of kidney beans, rinsed, in my chili. I do use chili powder and cumin to spice it up.

Chili is like the way we dress, imo. Everyone has his/her distinctive style :)and recipe. I also have a white chili recipe which is everyone's favorite.

Dixiebell Contributor

White chili sounds delish! My family would turn their nose up at it though. They don't like anything out of the norm. :(

freeatlast Collaborator

White chili sounds delish! My family would turn their nose up at it though. They don't like anything out of the norm. :(

Maybe if you gave it another name? I had a surprise birthday party for my husband last Oct. and the chicken chili (white chili) was the clear favorite. Two of our friends have even mentioned it as their favorite within the past two weeks.

tarnalberry Community Regular

pound of ground meat, can of black beans, can of either kidney beans, two cans of diced tomatoes, one onion, cumin, chili powder, garlic (or garlic powder) optionally, and tomato paste to thicken. this is one of my go-to quick dishes. (if only my husband would eat it... but he hates tomatoes.)

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

Bush's Chili Beans don't use gluten in their chili sauce, if you're looking for a little help with the seasoning. I checked their ingredients and couldn't find a single gluten ingredient on there (and no warnings about cross-contamination). HOWEVER if you are super-sensitive, be careful or check with the company before buying because I haven't actually cooked with them since going gluten-free yet, and I don't think I'm as super-sensitive as some in this forum. So be careful.

Hm, according to their site, the chili beans are NOT gluten free. Do the cans note a change in ingredients or is the gluten maybe in the form of barley and not listed? I'll give them a call on Monday to see what the deal is :)

kareng Grand Master

Pleasse look at the website for bush's beans. Under questions and allergens

Q. Are your products gluten-free?

A. As of this date, all of our BUSH'S BEST products are gluten-free with the exception of our BUSH'S Homestyle Chili line.

We are pleased to inform you that we have reformulated our Chili Beans products and our Chili Magic Chili Starter products to no longer contain wheat flour; therefore, changing the ingredient statement on these products to now state Modified Corn Starch. Due to store inventory rotation and other elements beyond our control, we still urge you to check the labels before consuming these products if you have gluten restrictions.

We do use corn starch in some of our products, but it does not contain gliadin gluten from wheat, barley, oats or rye grains which may cause adverse responses in persons suffering from Celiac Sprue. In addition, any vinegar used in our products is corn-based and distilled.

I think this means: read the label name cafefully, because the similar names on the product may be confusing.

luvs2eat Collaborator

My fave chili recipe is this:

1 lb. browned ground chicken... yes, chicken. It stays moister than ground turkey

chopped onion and garlic

2 cans beans (I use 1 can of black beans and 1 of red chili beans, rinsed)

2 cans diced tomatoes (I use the ones w/ jalapeno peppers already in them

1 can drained corn

spices: lots of chili powder, lots of cumin, salt and pepper

Simmer a while. We love this recipe!

Emilushka Contributor

A. As of this date, all of our BUSH'S BEST products are gluten-free with the exception of our BUSH'S Homestyle Chili line.

We are pleased to inform you that we have reformulated our Chili Beans products and our Chili Magic Chili Starter products to no longer contain wheat flour; therefore, changing the ingredient statement on these products to now state Modified Corn Starch. Due to store inventory rotation and other elements beyond our control, we still urge you to check the labels before consuming these products if you have gluten restrictions.

We do use corn starch in some of our products, but it does not contain gliadin gluten from wheat, barley, oats or rye grains which may cause adverse responses in persons suffering from Celiac Sprue. In addition, any vinegar used in our products is corn-based and distilled.

I think this means: read the label name cafefully, because the similar names on the product may be confusing.

Yes! The ones I bought specified corn starch.

MelindaLee Contributor

I have a super easy recipe.

2 lbs hamburger (as lean or not as you like), cooked

4 (16oz)can's Bush's Chili Beans (yup, gluten-free)

2 (14.5oz)can's tomatoes with green chilis

1 (28oz) large can pureed tomatoes (or diced, if you like the chunks...my kids don't)

Add some gluten-free chili powder(2-4 Tbsps)depending on your taste. (You will just need to check this one)

Mix and heat. Yummy! My Step-daughter requested this from college last week! Now I just need to learn how to can it for her! :D It's also not real spicy as I am a bi wimp! :lol:

You can add pasta if you like. That is a more traditional around here, but I know other places it's not so much.

Takala Enthusiast

Use canned pumpkin for the thickener. If you don't want to use a chile powder, you can use chipotle tabasco sauce or a few small ripe jalapeno chile peppers, finely diced, seeds discarded. Do not touch seeds and then touch anything else first without washing your hands. Cumin is a good spice to add, as well as some pure apple cider vinegar, and a dash of cinnamon and/or cocoa powder.

________

Chile with beans, Grain Free

Cooked hamburger meat, 1 to 2 lbs

onion, chopped, 1 small or half a large

sweet bell pepper, chopped

jalapeno if using that for spice/heat

clove of garlic chopped

cook above ingredients in olive oil, add

2 cans drained and rinsed pinto beans

1 to 2 cans diced tomatoes

1 can pumpkin puree

seasonings:

red chile powder to taste, if mild, 1 to 2 tablespoons

tabasco, several dashes

salt to taste

cumin powder, about a teaspoon

vinegar, apple cider, about a teaspoon

optional dash cinnamon

1/2 teasp. cocoa powder

bring to simmer, adjust heat so it is very gently bubbling for about an hour. may need to add a little water, pumpkin will thicken it up a lot.

Rowena Rising Star

There are definitely some chili powders that don't have gluten in them. I am pretty sure McCormick spices don't use gluten in anything. At least that's what I have read just about everywhere. I think that it says that on their site somewhere. I know my search for gluten free vanilla showed up with McCormick being one of the safest ones. (Strangely our local grocery store didn't have McCormick, but they did have a really organic vanilla that was gluten free. LOVE IT. I can't remember the name of it. I'll check when I get home.)

I am trying to remember my chili recipe. But its hard since I don't write my recipes down or use a cookbook. (Though I am now working on a gluten free cookbook of my own. I write down every meal/ dish/ dessert as I make it. Chili may be on the menu tonight... Oh wait, nevermind, I forgot the only beans I have are dried. And I dont have time to make them when I get home... Or no... that's what my husband is for.)

Anyway, I use the following ingredients: (FOREWARNING IT MAKES ALOT!)

2 lbs of hamburger meat.

2 medium onions or 1 large

2 cans of red beans

2 cans of red kidney beans

2 cans black beans

(Can you tell we like all sorts of beans in my house?)

2 cans green chilis (I hope I can find these in gluten free. Walmarts are processed on same equipment as wheat. Same as their beans)

3 large cans of tomato paste

garlic powder (or a few cloves minced)

salt

pepper

chili powder

cumin

(My mom likes to put a dash of chocolate in it, but I dont do that as I don't eat chocolate. But I may put carob in mine. And sorry my measurements are exact. and that I don't have spice measurements. I don't measure things)

Directions.

Brown the meat and onions in oil. Spice with cumin. I often put in garlic now too. (I usually just brown the meat and onions in the large pot I make chili in.) If you ain' t cooked it in a large pot already, transfer to a large pot. Dump in the green chilis and tomato paste. Let simmer for a bit (maybe ten minutes?) while stirring occasionally. I don't like my beans really well cooked, so I let the chili simmer before putting them in. (I dont like it when the Kidney beans have their skin break. I know, I'm weird.) After you've let it simmer a bit toss in beans. Turn up the heat for about ten minutes, then let simmer for about 20 minutes. (You might wanna taste test during the final simmer and see if it needs more spices. I find that I usually put too little in.)

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

Hooray!! This makes me so happy! The extra disclaimer wasn't there when I looked, I'm glad they added it to let us know about the change :)

Juliebove Rising Star

My favorite chili recipe is very easy. The basic recipe is three cans of beans (different kinds) a can of corn and a jar of salsa, mixed together and heated through. Drain the beans and corn or not depending on how much liquid is in there and how thick you want it. I usually doctor it up some by adding chili powder (to taste), cocoa powder (about a teaspoon), chopped onions, and perhaps some chopped fresh tomato if I have it in the fridge. If husband is eating it, I will add cooked ground beef. You can also add cooked chopped chicken or steak.

This is good served over a bed of rice. Garnish with sour cream, avocado, cilantro, chopped onion, chopped tomato, cheese, olives, corn chips, etc.

If you don't want beans in your chili, you can just start with your cooked meat, add salsa or tomato sauce and the chili powder. I also think onions and the teaspoon of cocoa are good in this. You could even add chopped celery.

mbrookes Community Regular

For really easy chili:

Use Tabasco brand chioli. It comes in a jar. Follow the directions on the jar: brown a pound of hamburger, add 3/4 cup beer (I use Red Bridge) a can of beans if you like them. Simmer about 20 minutes. This makes really good chili and really fast. All Tabasco brand products are gluten-free, according to the company.

Archived