Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

1. Sex: Female
2. Age: 42
3. How long ago were you diagnosed with celiac disease? 5 years, medically diagnosed by remission of clear celiac symptoms on the gluten-free diet.
4. Does anyone in your family have celiac disease? Mom has non-celiac gluten intolerance.
5. How severe is your celiac disease? I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to answer this. What is your measure of severity?
6. Is it difficult to eat out at restaurants or anywhere outside of your home? Yes.
7. Do you believe that there should be more to be done to make this disease more aware to the public? It's all over the papers, in magazines, and celebrities are talking about it. At this point, it's hard to understand why so people are still unaware. Short of the FDA buying billboards I don't know the next step.
8. How has this disease impacted your life? Finding out I was celiac made me well and has improved my life immeasurably.
9. What do you think would make celiac disease easier to deal with? The FDA finally passing some food labeling laws. That would also help with awareness.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 GroovyMimi

GroovyMimi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

I'm trying to raise awareness for celiacs disease, and it would help me out a ton if people with celiacs disease can answer these few questions. Thanks

1. Sex: Male or Female Female
2. Age: 56
3. How long ago were you diagnosed with celiac disease? 10 months ago
4. Does anyone in your family have celiac disease? Oldest sister suspects.
5. How severe is your celiac disease? 90% under control.
6. Is it difficult to eat out at restaurants or anywhere outside of your home? Sometimes, depending upon restaurant.
7. Do you believe that there should be more to be done to make this disease more aware to the public? YES!!!
8. How has this disease impacted your life? Magnanimously...for good and bad. Good, 50 lbs weight loss, bad...I'm still unaware of ALL I should NOT be eating.
9. What do you think would make celiac disease easier to deal with? Labeling foods, made easier to decipher if 100% Gluten/Wheat free; RESTAURANTS more Gluten Free choices, FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS, MORE Gluten Free choices (i.e., LETTUCE WRAPPED!).

#33 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

I'm trying to raise awareness for celiacs disease, and it would help me out a ton if people with celiacs disease can answer these few questions. Thanks

1. Sex: Male or Female
2. Age:
3. How long ago were you diagnosed with celiac disease?
4. Does anyone in your family have celiac disease?
5. How severe is your celiac disease?
6. Is it difficult to eat out at restaurants or anywhere outside of your home?
7. Do you believe that there should be more to be done to make this disease more aware to the public?
8. How has this disease impacted your life?
9. What do you think would make celiac disease easier to deal with?

1. Female
3. 3 months
4. Not diagnosed, but I think at least 2 others do.
5. I am not super sensitve. I didn't have typical symptoms. Things I thought were age related have went away (And, i didn't get younger!! :D )
6. I have found several restaurants that are gluten-free, but other than those, yes, it's difficult.
7. I definately believe awareness is important. Many people could be healthier if mis disagnosed/undiagnosed people were aware.
8. It's frustrating at times...but has also inspired me to look at stating a business related to gluten-free
9. More people who understand. Diabetes is better understood, and there are many product out there to help make life easier.

#34 WheatChef

WheatChef

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

1. Male
2. 29
3. 8 months
4. At least 2 others with a few additional suspected members
5. As far as reach of the disease I had it affecting almost every single organ in my body. The physical symptoms were pretty heavy and had required hospitalization on a few occasions but the mental effects were quite larger and resulted in many many years of counseling and psychoactive prescriptions which were suddenly made pointless once I simply went gluten-free.
6. It was difficult, then I moved to Portland, OR which is pretty much a celiac's dream city. Now there's plenty of options for me.
7. Yes, but I think current efforts are actually succeeding quite well. It's something that's becoming a part of pop culture (saw gluten-free crackers mentioned on the Simpsons last week) already in name alone which is a good start. I think the most effort needs to be spent on making doctors more aware of the non-severely-outdated information about the disease.
8. It crippled the majority of my life, it threatened to take it a few times too.
9. Mandated food labels!
Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: