#1 Ruth Talbott

Ruth Talbott

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

Hi all,

I contacted TreSemme about a specific product to see if it was gluten-free. Although it's gluten-free, it is not made in a gluten-free facility. Has anyone had experience with using these type of gluten-free TreSemme Products, or other hair products that are gluten-free but not made in a gluten-free facility?

Thanks!
--
Ruth

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." -Maya Angelou

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:41 AM

Hi all,

I contacted TreSemme about a specific product to see if it was gluten-free. Although it's gluten-free, it is not made in a gluten-free facility. Has anyone had experience with using these type of gluten-free TreSemme Products, or other hair products that are gluten-free but not made in a gluten-free facility?

Thanks!

I've used both a TreSemme shampoo and conditioner without any problems. But I have no idea if either one is gluten free. Sorry...I'm afraid I'm not much help.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

If you're not eating it, then I really wouldn't worry about cross contamination.
Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993
Positive Blood Test - November, 2007
Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007
Gluten Free since December 3, 2007
Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

#4 mama3122006

mama3122006

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

If you're not eating it, then I really wouldn't worry about cross contamination.

It's actually quite hard to be 100% sure that shampoo will not enter your mouth while washing your hair. It's not just cross contamination, most people have some shampoo enter their mouth when it runs down their face in the shower so it's best to be sure about these products!

#5 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

It's actually quite hard to be 100% sure that shampoo will not enter your mouth while washing your hair. It's not just cross contamination, most people have some shampoo enter their mouth when it runs down their face in the shower so it's best to be sure about these products!

I checked my hair products for gluten...but really? I've been washing my own (hip-length) hair since I was seven years old and have never gotten shampoo in my mouth. :) I think I'd be more concerned with it getting in my eyes.

I did find, however, that using a conditioner with hydrolyzed wheat protein made me itch. I was fine once I stopped using it but I certainly didn't ingest any of it.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#6 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

My kids frequently get shampoo in their mouths. If I use hair spray or gel with gluten in it, run my hands thru my hair-which I do frequently-then I put them at risk for CC. Lots of crazy things to think about :)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#7 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

Any product that can get on your hands can get in your mouth. I wash my hands a lot especially before I touch any food. I am tired of washing my hands so much but I am slowly using up my gluten personal care supplies and then I will go completely gluten free just so I don't have to wash my hands as often. If you think of gluten as a germ than touching it puts it on your hands. I am sure not everyone feels they have to be so careful and it is a personal decision.
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac
Lactose intolerant discovered August 2010
Hypothyroid Dx 2009. Sleep Apnea 2005

#8 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:53 AM

Let's be realistic here - think about the percentage of the shampoo that is made up of wheat... maybe 1 or 2% of the final product, but probably much less? Then let's think about how much shampoo you actually use for your hair in the shower. Then let's think about how much could POSSIBLY get into your mouth. You are probably looking at more risk from eating Tostitos that could be cross contaminated from equipment that handle wheat products. I'm not saying that my word is the "end all" of the conversation, but I'm saying that everyone is in charge of the risk that they are willing to take, and it's better to not cause mass hysteria on this site by telling people that using shampoo with wheat at the bottom of the ingredients will make them very sick. I've been gluten-free for 3 years and I have used on and off the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo that has wheat in the ingredients. It doesn't make me sick because I don't eat it by the spoonful.
Joe

#9 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:56 AM

I am sure not everyone feels they have to be so careful and it is a personal decision.

I agree with you 100%, it is always a very personal decision - and honestly, there are enough personal care products out there that don't have gluten in them, so it is easy to avoid. But if you are really stuck on one particular shampoo, then only you can decide.
Joe

#10 Ruth Talbott

Ruth Talbott

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

Thanks, Joe, for the balanced perspective and helpful insight. I have used it to make a decision and not be paranoid every time I use this particular hair product and I haven't had any problems with using the product.
--
Ruth

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." -Maya Angelou

#11 Ruth Talbott

Ruth Talbott

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:09 AM

And thank you, everyone else, for your helpful info as well. Everything that was posted was good and useful in some way! :)
--
Ruth

#12 SherryK

SherryK

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

If you don't have your mouth closed the whole time you wash your hair you get it in your mouth. I never paid that much attention to that either until I made it a point to. I can't breathe under the shower with my mouth closed. :). I am in chronic pain 24/7 for 4 years straight with nerve damage from Celiacs Disease undiagnosed for 20 years and I am not taking any chances on what might not get into my body. I never had a reaction inside that lead me to believe anything was damaging me until I finally got a diagnose. I have severe nerve damage from Gluten. It is a personal choice absolutely!! I'm not taking any chances :). If one entire bread crumb can make me sick why can't bubbles. I wish I could make a choice :(.

#13 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

Let's be realistic here - think about the percentage of the shampoo that is made up of wheat... maybe 1 or 2% of the final product, but probably much less? Then let's think about how much shampoo you actually use for your hair in the shower. Then let's think about how much could POSSIBLY get into your mouth. You are probably looking at more risk from eating Tostitos that could be cross contaminated from equipment that handle wheat products.

I'm staying away from gluten free shampoos/conditioners/styling products not because I'm afraid I'll eat some but because I'm worried that they're damaging my hair. I have extremely fine hair and as I've aged, I've started shedding a lot. I now have a very thin patch in the front where my scalp shows through. While guys can get away with shaving all their hair and promoting their "solar sex panel," we girls have it a bit rougher when it comes to hair loss. (Unless we look like Demi Moor in GI Jane. Unfortunately I do not.)

My stylist already has me taking Biotin to help with the hair loss. And she mentioned that your diet can really affect your hair. Yet it never occurred to me about there being wheat in my hair products until I started getting diagnosed with Celiac and did some searching on the internet. Sure enough, my shampoo (Tresseme), conditioner (Aveda, I think) and styling product (Sunsilk) all had wheat in them. I've switched to gluten-free products and I am hoping that will made a difference. It's only been a couple of weeks, so it's hard to really tell yet.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#14 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

I'm staying away from gluten free shampoos/conditioners/styling products not because I'm afraid I'll eat some but because I'm worried that they're damaging my hair. I have extremely fine hair and as I've aged, I've started shedding a lot. I now have a very thin patch in the front where my scalp shows through. While guys can get away with shaving all their hair and promoting their "solar sex panel," we girls have it a bit rougher when it comes to hair loss. (Unless we look like Demi Moor in GI Jane. Unfortunately I do not.)

My stylist already has me taking Biotin to help with the hair loss. And she mentioned that your diet can really affect your hair. Yet it never occurred to me about there being wheat in my hair products until I started getting diagnosed with Celiac and did some searching on the internet. Sure enough, my shampoo (Tresseme), conditioner (Aveda, I think) and styling product (Sunsilk) all had wheat in them. I've switched to gluten-free products and I am hoping that will made a difference. It's only been a couple of weeks, so it's hard to really tell yet.

Have you had your thyroid levels tested recently? Hair loss was my only symptom when my thyroid was off.

#15 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:24 AM

Have you had your thyroid levels tested recently? Hair loss was my only symptom when my thyroid was off.

Not yet. That's on the list when I go to visit the doctor next week. But I didn't think about it for hair loss, I was thinking for other reasons (metabolism, being cold all the time, etc.) Thanks for bringing it up. That will motivate me even more to make sure the doctor tests me.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: