This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Still Having Symptoms

shelbymartin93

shelbymartin93 Newbie

So i'm 17 and I found out two weeks ago that I have celiacs. The adjustment hasn't been that bad but I'm still having symptoms. I have been very careful about not putting any gluten in my body but I'm still not feeling that great. I've only been on the diet for two weeks. Right now I'm still having a lot of bloating and abdominal cramping as well as a lot of gas and burping. Is this normal? I was told it might take a while for the inflamation to die down. I feel really frustrated because I really want to feel better and no one I talk to seems to understand because they think I should already feel better. If you could give me some help I would REALLY appreciate it :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

Two weeks is not very long. Do make sure you are not sharing things like a toaster, scratched non-stick pans, wood spoons and cutting boards, jars of peanut butter, mayo and the like with gluten eaters because you could be getting cross contaimination. You also might want to stop your dairy consumption for now and see if that helps.

shelbymartin93 Newbie

Two weeks is not very long. Do make sure you are not sharing things like a toaster, scratched non-stick pans, wood spoons and cutting boards, jars of peanut butter, mayo and the like with gluten eaters because you could be getting cross contaimination. You also might want to stop your dairy consumption for now and see if that helps.

Does this include eggs? And about how long till your symptoms were eliminated?

psawyer Proficient

Does this include eggs? And about how long till your symptoms were eliminated?

Dairy means milk products, and does not include eggs.

Hamster101 Rookie

I would recommend stopping dairy for a little while. I found when I stopped eating gluten that my stomach was still sensitive to dairy for a week after, at least, before I could eat low levels of it again.

I would also recommend, while you're beginning to heal, to eat things that are easily digestible: Fruit, veg, fish and as little red meat as possible. I am still particularly sensitive to pork, something notoriously hard to digest, but have found I can happily each chicken and lamb just a few weeks into the diet.

If it continues after a few more weeks, it would suggest you are either being cross contaminated or you have another food allergy as well. a few elimination diet runs should solve that.

shelbymartin93 Newbie

I would recommend stopping dairy for a little while. I found when I stopped eating gluten that my stomach was still sensitive to dairy for a week after, at least, before I could eat low levels of it again.

I would also recommend, while you're beginning to heal, to eat things that are easily digestible: Fruit, veg, fish and as little red meat as possible. I am still particularly sensitive to pork, something notoriously hard to digest, but have found I can happily each chicken and lamb just a few weeks into the diet.

If it continues after a few more weeks, it would suggest you are either being cross contaminated or you have another food allergy as well. a few elimination diet runs should solve that.

What about the Gas? I am still very gassy and it happens very frequently and doesn't have the greatest odor. Is that a symptom?

Skylark Collaborator

What about the Gas? I am still very gassy and it happens very frequently and doesn't have the greatest odor. Is that a symptom?

Gas can be from lactose intolerance. A lot of celiacs are lactose intolerant until their intestines heal, since lactase is made at the tips of the villi.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shelbymartin93 Newbie

Gas can be from lactose intolerance. A lot of celiacs are lactose intolerant until their intestines heal, since lactase is made at the tips of the villi.

That's what I thought as well, but I haven pretty much cut out all dairy as well. Could my intenstines still just be healing?

psawyer Proficient

Yes, you could indeed be temporarily intolerant to lactose until your small intestine heals. Lactose is the sugar in cow's milk. To digest it, your system needs the enzyme lactase, which is produced in the villi of the small intestine. If you have celiac damage to your villi, then you may be lactase deficient which will cause you to be lactose intolerant. Gas is a common symptom of lactose intolerance.

GFreeMO Proficient

Yes, you could indeed be temporarily intolerant to lactose until your small intestine heals. Lactose is the sugar in cow's milk. To digest it, your system needs the enzyme lactase, which is produced in the villi of the small intestine. If you have celiac damage to your villi, then you may be lactase deficient which will cause you to be lactose intolerant. Gas is a common symptom of lactose intolerance.

You could try using Lactaid brand milk.

Archived