13 replies to this topic

#1 Robin_E

Robin_E

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:50 AM

I've read conflicting articles about modified food starch, so wanted to check with some of you to see what your experience is with it. I've been avoiding it completely. I was diagnosed in March, but it seems recently that it doesn't take much at all for me to get really sick, so I'm pretty cautious. I've read that modified food starch is usually corn unless specified, but I've seen labels that have both modified food starch and modified corn starch, so I'd assume that mfs is wheat?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 scarlett77

scarlett77

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:20 AM

I've read conflicting articles about modified food starch, so wanted to check with some of you to see what your experience is with it. I've been avoiding it completely. I was diagnosed in March, but it seems recently that it doesn't take much at all for me to get really sick, so I'm pretty cautious. I've read that modified food starch is usually corn unless specified, but I've seen labels that have both modified food starch and modified corn starch, so I'd assume that mfs is wheat?

It SHOULD be corn based if it is in the US, however, to be 100% sure you should always check with the manufacturer.

Personally, if it is a main stream widely known US brand I tend to trust it. If it is some unknown small or local brand then I will call and check.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

In the US, if the food starch is derived from wheat it must be declared a "wheat ingredient" on the label.

#4 polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

I find myself avoiding it too because I'm SUPER sensitive...

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

In the US, as stated, if it is wheat that fact must be clearly disclosed. It is most commonly tapioca* or corn. It is never rye or barley, so in the US if it does not say wheat then it is gluten-free.

*Some people, including some celiacs, are sensitive to tapioca.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

In the US, as stated, if it is wheat that fact must be clearly disclosed. It is most commonly tapioca* or corn. It is never rye or barley, so in the US if it does not say wheat then it is gluten-free.

*Some people, including some celiacs, are sensitive to tapioca.

I have a newly diagnosed friend who LOVES tapioca and has been experiencing some glutened symptoms recently...could it be related to the tapioca?

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:33 AM

It SHOULD be corn based if it is in the US, however, to be 100% sure you should always check with the manufacturer.

Personally, if it is a main stream widely known US brand I tend to trust it. If it is some unknown small or local brand then I will call and check.

As others have said, if it's from wheat It MUST say so. No need to call anybody.

#8 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,237 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:40 AM

I have a newly diagnosed friend who LOVES tapioca and has been experiencing some glutened symptoms recently...could it be related to the tapioca?

There are people on here who have said they have trouble with tapioca.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:42 AM

It's possible to be intolerant to tapioca--I am particularly sensitive to it. It's not related to gluten, but a separate sensitivity. I get a very dry mouth from the time I take a bite and later, stomach pain. It's different from my gluten reaction.

Your friend could try omitting tapioca for a week or so and then trying it alone and see how she feels. This approach is the best way to ferret out problem foods.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 julandjo

julandjo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

There are people on here who have said they have trouble with tapioca.

My daughter and I both have major problems with tapioca.
Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

#11 dustynbob

dustynbob

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

How can we be sure the item with the ingredient "modified food starch" is a made in America product? So much has some components made in another country.

#12 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

How can we be sure the item with the ingredient "modified food starch" is a made in America product? So much has some components made in another country.

You can't, but if it is sold in the US, it must conform to US label regulations, and wheat, if present, must be disclosed. I personally haven't encountered modified wheat starch in over a decade on the diet.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

I've seen wheat starch a couple of times but clearly labeled.

Tapioca and I are not really friends. I don't get super sick from it but I do get minor issues sometimes. I'm sparing with it and I don't eat it often.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#14 Beth P.

Beth P.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

I've been puzzled by the "modified food starch" for a long time also. Fanta orange pop (and other flavors) say that on the label. & I've always been wary of it. There is a high-end grocery store in my town that has another brand of pop for sale right next to the Fanta. It carries a Gluten-Free label, as if to suggest that the other brands are not. I don't know where Fanta is made, since I don't have a bottle in front of me, but I will stop worrying about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: