This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Celiac Id?

Wheat Wacker

Wheat Wacker Rookie

Has anyone tried this My CELIAC ID ad thats on this site?? It seems logical and is alot cheaper then an endoscopy matched with blood tests. At least a stepping stone to those tests?

I was diagnosed by both blood tests and endoscopy in March, sure it took me a few months to really figure out what gluten free was but I have been a super strict for the last three or more months, have not eaten anything I have not prepared my self and know is gluten free, yet I still suffer abdominal pain and bloating.

I think I might take the Gene test as this will confrim weather I could have been mis Diagnosed?

And idea's or advice,

Cheers

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

The gene test is interesting, but not diagnostic. The genes they test for are associated with celiac disease, but not shown to be solely responsible for the disease. Additionally, you can have celiac disease without having any of the known associated genes.

Skylark Collaborator

The endoscopy is completely diagnostic, especially with supporting blood tests. Your doctor actually saw the villous damage in your intestine and nothing does that but celiac disease.

A lot of celiacs don't tolerate dairy very well. You might try seeing if removing dairy from your diet helps the remaining pain and bloating.

Wheat Wacker Rookie

I have tried to cut dairy out for prolonged periods but I really see no differences. I almost feel like I should start eating wheat again to see if I get sicker or something? The gluten free diet doesn't seems to work this far, I'm going to go back to the doctors again.

The doctor that Diagnosed my was un convincing, about to go on vacation, and told me after my endoscopy that if he didn't see my blood tests he wouldn't think that I had Celiac. but after the lab reports came back from the endoscopy he said I had celiac, almost feel like maybe it was just the easy diagnoses?

Thanks for the advice

Skylark Collaborator

If you were Marsh 2 or worse, my understanding is that there is pretty much nothing else that causes that particular kind of damage in combination with the blood tests. There is not necessarily anything to see on endoscopy before the path report comes back, as the damage can be only microscopic.

I think I read somewhere that inflammatory bowel diseases like microscopic colitis can show a combination of Marsh 1 biopsy (intra-epithelial lymphocytes with no damage) and anti-TTG. You should talk to a GI about that, as I've only been reading about celiac and not other bowel diseases. Seems like that would have been caught on endoscopy too.

GFinDC Veteran

You could have another condition in addition to celiac disease. There is no rule preventing someone from having multiple health issues. If you do a search on "celiac associated condition" or "celiac related condition" you can find lists of other diseases that celiacs tend to get more often than other people get them. Higher risk in other words. Some people are first tested for R. arthritis, or lupus, or fibromyalgia, thyroiditis etc, and then along the way the doc also tests them for celiac, and finds they have it also.

It could also be that you are like many people here that have additional food intolerances beyond gluten. Soy, dairy, nightshades, corn, eggs, etc, etc, any of which can cause GI symptoms and other symptoms too.

You could get your doc to do another series of blood tests for the antibodies. Not to rule out celiac, but to confirm you are actually staying glutenfree and recovering. Some people like to do this every so often as a progress check on how they are recovering and also how well they are maintaining their gluten-free diet.

Once you have celiac though it doesn't go away. Your body will stop pouring out tons of antibodies after a while of being gluten-free, but it doesn't forget how to make them. So new exposures to gluten will kick the autoimmune process right back in gear.

The usual things to double-check for gluten are vitamins, meds, drinks, shared condiments, toasters, pet food, cosmetics/shampoos etc.

Also the time it takes to heal varies. Some people have less damage and heal faster, others may take longer for whatever reason. Other food intolerances can make you feel as bad as gluten does. That would be the first thing I would suspect, if you are sure you are strictly glutenfree.

bincongo Contributor

Has anyone tried this My CELIAC ID ad thats on this site?? It seems logical and is alot cheaper then an endoscopy matched with blood tests. At least a stepping stone to those tests?

I was diagnosed by both blood tests and endoscopy in March, sure it took me a few months to really figure out what gluten free was but I have been a super strict for the last three or more months, have not eaten anything I have not prepared my self and know is gluten free, yet I still suffer abdominal pain and bloating.

I think I might take the Gene test as this will confrim weather I could have been mis Diagnosed?

And idea's or advice,

Cheers

I don't think I would waste my money on another test because the endoscopy is the "gold standard" for testing. I would ask for a copy of my endoscopy results(the biopsy) and even the blood tests if you haven't done so and really read what it says. You can ask people on this site how to interpret the results.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived