11 replies to this topic

#1 nmlove

nmlove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:04 AM

I've been having a hard time with kids vitamins. I was giving the kids a "natural" vitamin (Yummi bears) to stay away from dyes. But at one of their check-ups, some vitamins were low (specifically iron and vit D). I was told to have them take Flintstones which I've been doing. But I'd really like to steer away from the dyes, etc. in Flintstones. Any suggestions? I'm also now giving them a vit D drop in addition to their daily multi.

Thanks so much! I'd be curious to hear what your vitamin regimen is too as there seems to be so much conflicting info out there on what to take, if anything. I've read about needing way more Vit D than currently recommend (well, true for lots of the vitamins), fish oil, probiotics, etc. And all of this in regard to kids, not adults.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:10 AM

They also make a vit D among others. http://www.yummibears.com/
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#3 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:42 AM

I buy the Target childrens chewables for my dd and the Schiff childrens chewables for my son (just based on their tastes). Both are gluten-free, both have more extensive vitamins and minerals than the gummies. Both have iron as well, which my kids both need. Haven't found a gummy that is more of a true 'multivitamin'

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#4 nmlove

nmlove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:56 AM

Haven't found a gummy that is more of a true 'multivitamin'

And that's the trouble I ran into using the "natural" YummiBears (no iron) and why I switched to Flintstones. I'm guessing the Target brand is just their version of Flintstones. I guess I'll just deal with the dyes for now until I can find something better.

#5 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

Freeda makes gluten-free "healthy" vitamins for kids. Natural flavor, no sugar or artificial sweeteners, etc. They're more expensive than Flintstones though.

#6 cintinative

cintinative

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

Bump.

I am really needing help with this. I just found out that the Flinstones Complete vitamins are not necessarily gluten-free. They have a disclaimer on their website that they cannot guarantee their suppliers are providing gluten-free raw materials. We have been using these (without symptoms) for about a year. Unfortunately I need something with iron.  I heard Wegman's sells them but we do not live remotely close to a Wegman's. Anyone know a good gluten-free multi-vitamin with iron?

#7 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

Bump.
 I ?

Just a Forum rule clarification here - technically " bumps" are not allowed. But that is for your own posts as you can't force people to reply. This is just a new poster re- starting a conversation instead of starting a new one. That is OK.

To answer the poster:

Just because there is a CYA statement, that doesn't mean there is any gluten in the vitamins that you have been using successfully so far.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#8 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

http://www.naturemade.com/products#{"sort":1,"page":1,"pagesize":12,"diets":[213]}

Nature made has a lot of gluten-free vitamins. Check the vitamin amounts. I have found that some children's and adult vitamins aren't very different in amounts of each " vitamin".

Walgreens has a lot of gluten-free store brand products, you could check them. target has started labeling the store brand with the arrow gluten-free sometimes.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#9 nicolebeth

nicolebeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

Animal Parade are good--no sugar, dyes, gluten-free. There is iron in the multi (along with Vitamin D), and there is a separate Vitamin D option. When we remember, we give both.

http://www.naturespl...imal-parade.php

#10 blmoreschi

blmoreschi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

I would check on Vitacost.com. My daughter had a specific need - she needs 1000 mg of calcium per day but she also needs a multivitamin. All of the chewable calcium supplements on store shelves contain a lot of Vit D, and between that and the D in the multi-vitamin she was getting too much. I went to the Vitacost website and was able to search by criteria and found what we were looking for. And it is the Animal Parade brand mentioned above.

#11 Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Animal Parade GOLD- is awesome. Also use Carlson's D drops, 1000 units, my daughter was deficient in D when diagnosed, her levels more than doubled in 6 months.

I also give probiotics daily.

#12 ImaMiriam

ImaMiriam

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

We also take Vitamin Parade. They have a chewable calcium tablet and Vitamin C too. My daughter does not love the taste of these, but I feel they are the best because they are food based sources (nothing synthetic).

My daughter (she's almost 12) also takes probiotics. And, we all take a fish oil that tastes decent. The fish oil comes in several flavors called "Omega Swirl." It's from Barlean's Organic Oils which I recently received an email saying all their products are gluten-free. We also add the Barlean's Flax oil to our daily green smoothies! :-)

Me: various symptoms such as eczema throughout my life; HLA-DQ2 gene

Daughter: positive blood test and HLA-DQ2 gene; no biopsy. Gaining weight and grew taller since gluten-free; had been same weight for 2 years.

gluten-free since May 1

Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln

Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love. Martin Luther King, jr.

Humankind will not perish for want of information; but only for want of appreciation. Abraham Joshua Heschel

Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: