This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Share How Gluten Free Has Improved Your Life.

SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Aside from improved health, what positives came about as a result of going gluten free? I'm in the mood for some happy celiac thoughts.

I'll give you 5 of mine.

1) I can make social plans and know I can keep them. No more feeling too exhausted to drag myself out the door.

2) I'm eating less processed foods and switching to chemical free hygine and cleaning products.

3) I went back to work and was successful on the job.

4) My hair has no more split ends and my nails grow pretty.

5) The best one is my surprise pregnancy after 8 years of infertility.

How has being gluten free improved your life?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kwylee Apprentice

1. Blood pressure went from average of 135/90 to avergage of 110/72

2. Lost weight without trying, like my body is normalizing on its own (I don't eat gluten free goodies regularly, just unprocessed, preservative free foods)

3. Energy through the roof

4. Clear thinking and optimistic

5. Not "hot" all the time - now I get cold when everyone else is!!!!

srall Contributor

Aside from improved health, what positives came about as a result of going gluten free? I'm in the mood for some happy celiac thoughts.

I'll give you 5 of mine.

1) I can make social plans and know I can keep them. No more feeling too exhausted to drag myself out the door.

2) I'm eating less processed foods and switching to chemical free hygine and cleaning products.

I LOVE your #5!! Congratulations.

1) More energy

2) No more GI issues EVER.

3) No more brain fog

4) No more migraines

5) Joint pain/arthritis is being managed

6) There are a ton more... But those five immediately come to mind.

WheatChef Apprentice

5. Not "hot" all the time - now I get cold when everyone else is!!!!

I'm starting to notice the same thing happening to me! Unfortunately I just moved from South Florida up to Oregon to get away from the heat! Now I guess I actually have to bundle up for the winter instead of previous snow days walking around in a tshirt.

Anyways positive effects:

1. Fantastically defined midsection

2. Luscious sheen to hair

3. Can exercise without running out of steam in the first 5 minutes

4. A healthy skin tone!

5. Social phobias are gone and I actually want to be around people now!

Emilushka Contributor

1. Blood pressure went from average of 135/90 to avergage of 110/72

4. Clear thinking and optimistic

My #1 and #4 are the same, as long as we're not counting these in order. And while my blood pressure didn't drop quite THAT low all the time, It's definitely a lot better.

2. I don't have to schedule in extra pooping time in the morning (and I'm not late to my rotations thanks to uncontrollable pooping)

3. My belly feels like a BELLY again and not like a drum

5. I'm no longer worried about eating (as long as I eat foods I've pre-cleared and brought into my home) because I can count on the food to feel good in my body

K8ling Enthusiast

Well, since going gluten-free

I began going to baseball games again, I am not afraid to go on road trips, I like to have "quality time" with my husband (constant upset stomach used to curtail it), my hair isn't falling out anymore, I have enough strength to care for my rambunctious little boy, I don't take Zofran like candy anymore, and I LOVE FOOD AGAIN!!! Being gluten-free has improved my life in so many ways! Also, people don't look at me weird when I say I am sick (again) because I used to always be sick and could never tell anyone what was wrong with me. Now I know!!

Marilyn R Community Regular

1. I don't wish I would die anymore, or think about how death would be better than living. I'm very grateful about that.

2. For the first time in 18 months, I'm going to travel to see my mother, who I used to visit cross country every three months come hell or high water. (Hell came.) I'm going to be so happy when I see her!

3. I must admit that I'm happy I haven't pooped my pants in months.

4. I'm happy that I don't have nausea every morning and can go to work and function.

5. I'm happy that it's just food intolerances vs. something reallly horrid, and I'm happy about how good real, fresh, whole food tastes B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tamika Rookie

Hello! Your #1 brought me to tears....i honestly feel like I am dying or something...at 30 years old. I feel horrible. all my tests are negative (EGD negative, colonoscopy negative, celiac panel-negative) All I have is a wheat allergy and a long list of tree/nut allergies. I have had positive results with eliminating wheat and milk for three weeks so I know what I have to do. I was looking for some definitive answers but I don't think I am going to find them. I am so frustrated...I am happy to know I don't have some gastrointestinal cancer but this is so aggravating. I appear to be becoming more intolerant to more foods ie. red dye. When does the madness stop?? Would you happen to recommend a specific elimination diet? thanks for listening.

srall Contributor

Hello! Your #1 brought me to tears....i honestly feel like I am dying or something...at 30 years old. I feel horrible. all my tests are negative (EGD negative, colonoscopy negative, celiac panel-negative) All I have is a wheat allergy and a long list of tree/nut allergies. I have had positive results with eliminating wheat and milk for three weeks so I know what I have to do. I was looking for some definitive answers but I don't think I am going to find them. I am so frustrated...I am happy to know I don't have some gastrointestinal cancer but this is so aggravating. I appear to be becoming more intolerant to more foods ie. red dye. When does the madness stop?? Would you happen to recommend a specific elimination diet? thanks for listening.

I don't feel at all qualified to recommend a diet to you, but I guess I'm doing it anyway. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd do a whole foods diet, no processed, no grains for awhile. Eat a lot of veggies, some fruit, and meat. Cut out caffeine and alcohol. Give yourself a little bit of time...it takes time, and I bet you'll start to improve. By the way, I was tested negative for celiac, but I 100% believe that that doesn't mean my body can tolerate gluten. My brother tested negative too, and his GI told him he didn't have to stop gluten and he has classic symptoms.

And I agree with above posters that isn't it wonderful to know that this can all be managed with diet? Great, nutritious foods that our bodies were meant to eat. It's not convenient, but it's so much healthier than the typical American diet (assuming you are in the U.S.)

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Tamika,

I'm sorry you are feeling so horrible. I understand the feeling of being 30 and thinking you must be dying. I'm glad you've found that making some dietary changes helps. Stick with it. You may also want to ask your doctor about testing you for other autoimmune diseases. If yo have not been to a rhumatologist, make an appointment. Celiac isn't the only disease that can make you feel like you must be dying. Also, get your lab results from the celiac panel. Sometimes, doctors will see low positive scores combined with negative scores and interpret the results as being negative. You also want to make sure your IgA total was tested.

I don't have advice about an elimination diet, I've been making my way blindly through this as well. There are some really knowledgable folks here and I bet if you post a question about elimination diets, they could help you.

I hope you find a way to better health soon. We all know how hard it is to feel sick all the time.

diane64 Apprentice

1. I am loving my teaching job again.

2. I have more patience, am calmer, and not anxious.

3. I am sleeping better and am no longer tired all of the time.

4. I no longer have joint pain.

5. The brain fog is gone!!!

Diane

I'll give you 5 of mine.

11475 Apprentice

Congratulations! What a beautiful surprise :)

kayo Explorer

1. No more brain fog or concentration issues

2. No more giant belly, no one asking me when I'm due :blink:

3. Hair and nails growing like crazy, and strong too

4. More prone to laughter than agitation

5. Normal appetite, lesser obsessive thoughts about food (when are we eating? what are we eating? when can we eat again?)

Archived