8 replies to this topic

#1 Joe0123

Joe0123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

Since going gluten I can't stuff with sugar like sweets or something, but I eat a cereal that has evaporated cane juice and I'm just fine. I tried a soy milk with organic sugar cane and it gave me digestive problems. Is a reaction to sugar cane and products from it something anyone else has experienced?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

Since going gluten I can't stuff with sugar like sweets or something, but I eat a cereal that has evaporated cane juice and I'm just fine. I tried a soy milk with organic sugar cane and it gave me digestive problems. Is a reaction to sugar cane and products from it something anyone else has experienced?

I took an ELISA (blood) test for delayed reaction (IgG mediated) allergies. I tested very high on cane sugar. When I accidentally consume that, I get 48 hours of tachycardia and nausea. However, with my other allergens I get bloating and cramping intestinal pain. Nevertheless I still can consume other sugars, like beet sugar, rice syrup, maple syrup, honey, agave, without any problem. However I don't tolerate the alcohol based artificial sweetners like sorbitol, mannitol, etc.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

It's quite possible it is the soy. A lot of people have problems with soy.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#4 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

It's quite possible it is the soy. A lot of people have problems with soy.

I was also diagnosed by Enterolab with soy (IgA mediated) allergy. I react to soy with cramping pain, bloating and gas, similar to my gluten reaction. Although many people with gluten intolerance have additional allergies to those 8 major allergens, they can develop delayed reaction allergies to almost any food.

SUE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#5 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

No I am fine with soy. I just want to know if other people have problems with sugar cane, because obviously before I had all my problems with gluten I had no problem with sugar.

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:36 AM

I have problems with sugar cane. I am very sensitive and have problems with all sorts of things. I haven't been able to find a sweetener yet that I can tolerate. I think it is from cc, but I'm not sure.

#7 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

I have problems with sugar cane. I am very sensitive and have problems with all sorts of things. I haven't been able to find a sweetener yet that I can tolerate. I think it is from cc, but I'm not sure.

Have you tried agave syrup yet? I don't have any problems with it in moderation. But if I eat too much of (which is easy to do lol) then it will kinda bother me. Stuff like honey, maple syrup and brown rice syrup irritate my stomach so agave syrup is pretty much it as far as sweeteners I can eat.

#8 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:29 AM

I got some recently and plan to trial it next. Thanks. What brand do you use?

#9 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

Madhava or Wholesome Sweeteners. Hopefully you are able to eat them. Agave syrup is really good! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: