This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"perfect Pinch" Mccormick Spices

DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten Explorer

I've been fairly frustrated the past few days. Trying to eat healthier...less calories, less salt, blah blah. But of course, with that comes less flavor. So I'm trying to find stuff that is quick to make (to eat while at work for lunch), healthy, flavorful.

In my quest I hit many roadblocks thanks to stupid gluten-ness. I researched the Net as much as I could on each but alas.

First, McCormick spices. Their single spices are gluten-free, I know. But the mixed ones ares ones I'm after, particularly for flavoring so I won't be tempted to douse everything with salt! The Perfect Pinch flavors looked good, like Lemon Pepper, Garlic & Herb etc. However, of course, is it gluten free?? The site's FAQs say that the mixed ones MIGHT have gluten in it. And they say "IF the source of gluten is WHEAT, we will list it." Well to me that is cryptic and vague. Do they mean, IF and only IF it is WHEAt, they'll list it. But if it's from something else (barley, rye)...what, they won't list it?? The one I picked up does not say WHEAT but I'm scared to try it. HAs anyone used any of the Perfect Pinches and not gotten sick?

Second, Green Giant. I was all set to get this Antioxidant vegetable blend with garlic sauce. I did not see anything gluten-y in it. Yet, when I went to their site (General Mills) this was NOT under the gluten free section. They also say, if gluten-free, it will say gluten-free. Well, one that they had listed as gluten-free does NOT say gluten-free on it...so I'm confused b/c it is inconsistent. So basically what I'm asking here...has anyone had the Antioxidant frozen thing you steam in the microwave and not gotten sick?

yeesh.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emilushka Contributor

I would call and just ask them specifically where their ingredients come from. I've called a couple companies and if you explain you have a food allergy, they're usually good about finding out if their products are safe (or explaining what the packaging says, at the very least).

bincongo Contributor

I've been fairly frustrated the past few days. Trying to eat healthier...less calories, less salt, blah blah. But of course, with that comes less flavor. So I'm trying to find stuff that is quick to make (to eat while at work for lunch), healthy, flavorful.

In my quest I hit many roadblocks thanks to stupid gluten-ness. I researched the Net as much as I could on each but alas.

First, McCormick spices. Their single spices are gluten-free, I know. But the mixed ones ares ones I'm after, particularly for flavoring so I won't be tempted to douse everything with salt! The Perfect Pinch flavors looked good, like Lemon Pepper, Garlic & Herb etc. However, of course, is it gluten free?? The site's FAQs say that the mixed ones MIGHT have gluten in it. And they say "IF the source of gluten is WHEAT, we will list it." Well to me that is cryptic and vague. Do they mean, IF and only IF it is WHEAt, they'll list it. But if it's from something else (barley, rye)...what, they won't list it?? The one I picked up does not say WHEAT but I'm scared to try it. HAs anyone used any of the Perfect Pinches and not gotten sick?

------------------------------------------------

Celiaccess says the Lemon Pepper is questionable, can't be confirmed gluten free. I might check them for the other mixes.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I don't know if the Mccormick perfect pinch seasonings are gluten free or not, but I can tell you from my past expeience they have NO FLAVOR whatsoever (IMO). If you are trying to cut out salt you would be better off just mixing up you own blends from single spices you know are safe.

Here are some seasoning mix recipes for you to try:

Open Original Shared Link

DownWithGluten Explorer

thanks everyone. I almost called earlier today but something random distracted me...maybe I should.

Lol at the last post of them not having flavor anyway...then they're DEF not worth getting sick over! Thanks for the recipes

heatherjane Contributor

Mrs. Dash is gluten free and salt free.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

Green Giant is owned by General Mills, who will *always* list any source of wheat, barley, or rye. Their gluten free list is a list of foods that are guaranteed to be gluten free and that are under strict regulation to avoid cross contamination. I believe they also do testing on some/most of these products(?).

Any product that is not on their gluten free list, but does not list any wheat, barley or rye is likely safe, assuming you are not super sensitive. I eat the vegetables you are referring to often and have never been sick from them. I called them once to ask why some products are not on their gluten free list and they said it was because they can't verify the sources of all of the ingredients. For me, at least, that's an okay answer and I don't have a problem eating those products. But then again, I'm not super sensitive, either! Remember, though, that most of veggies with the sauces have a butter base and if you have a problem with dairy, it could trigger a reaction.

Hope this helps some! :)

-Janie :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DownWithGluten Explorer

So m'kay. Have an update.

First, Janie...thanks a lot. I ate it today! Your response was perfect because you've tried it before and have been fine and answered what I was wondering.

Second, regarding McCormick. I called them. Her main points, which some of us already know:

- all single spice are gluten free

- if there are no ingredients listed, it is gluten free

- they do not use flour on any of their conveyor belts

- some of the mixed spices DO have gluten...IF they do, they WILL liste either WHEAT or BARLEY. None of their products have rye or oats. So basically if it does not say WHEAT or BARLEY it's good.

- all of their extracts are gluten-free,all food coloring is gluten-free, and all their taco mixes except cheesy taco mix (or something) is gluten-free...but again, all their products will list wheat or barley.

I was excited. Their site almost says that except the only say they'l list it "if it comes from wheat" which was cryptic to me.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

So m'kay. Have an update.

First, Janie...thanks a lot. I ate it today! Your response was perfect because you've tried it before and have been fine and answered what I was wondering.

Second, regarding McCormick. I called them. Her main points, which some of us already know:

- all single spice are gluten free

- if there are no ingredients listed, it is gluten free

- they do not use flour on any of their conveyor belts

- some of the mixed spices DO have gluten...IF they do, they WILL liste either WHEAT or BARLEY. None of their products have rye or oats. So basically if it does not say WHEAT or BARLEY it's good.

- all of their extracts are gluten-free,all food coloring is gluten-free, and all their taco mixes except cheesy taco mix (or something) is gluten-free...but again, all their products will list wheat or barley.

I was excited. Their site almost says that except the only say they'l list it "if it comes from wheat" which was cryptic to me.

Thanks for the update. This is the first I have heard about them not using flour on the conveyoer belts. This is good to know. I do like some of their other mixed spices, just not the perfect pinch ones. So far I have been sticking ot the single ingredient spices, but I feel a little better about trying a blend again if the label looks safe.

ETA the "if it comes from wheat" statement probably means they will state whether an ingredient is made from wheat. So for example if something has soy sauce in it the ingredient list would read "soy sauce (wheat)". That's the only thing I can think that would make that statement make sense.

• 9 months later...
Soph&PetersMom Newbie

I just called mccormick and they said that they do list the gluten on the label, however they do clean the conveyer area but if you are sensitive to cross contamination (thus celiac) she said they recommend not using it. Just wanted to pass this along.

Archived