7 replies to this topic

#1 *Daniella*

*Daniella*

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

I've been in the Air Force for 14 years. Well, two years ago I was diagnosed with celiac. I've been through two medical boards to determine my fate in the Air Force. I just got the results of my last medical board and they have decided to keep me in...well, for at least another year. YAY!!! Anyway, just wanted to share my good news. :D
Diagnosed 10/20/08
Positive Bloodwork and Biopsy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jststric

jststric

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:10 PM

Congratulations!! I would think you have times where eating is very challenging....like at college?? You seem happy with this outcome, so I'm happy for you. And btw, thank you very much for your service!!

#3 Charlie's Girl

Charlie's Girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for volunteering!

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for your service!

Want ot ask a question. How do they handle the food? Do they not deploy you? Not sure MREs are gluten-free. Asking cause I have a teenage son who is interested in military service. Along with a few other careers. I am not genetically test ing him because I fear it will limit him even without active celiac disease.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

That's great news, and I'll join in thanking you for your service!

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

Great, sounds like there is some positive understanding about the condition around the AF. Congrats!
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#7 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

You rock! I absolutely LOVE to hear from our folks in the armed services who are happy and enthustiastic about what they do. Thank you for keeping us all safe! I hope your gluten free life in our Air Force treats you well :)

#8 *Daniella*

*Daniella*

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

Thank you everyone! I haven't deployed since I was diagnosed. However, I'm going on one in a few months. The Air Force medical boards put me on a profile. Basically what the profile says is I can deploy however, the gaining unit medical commander must approve me. Another words,they have to be able to feed me and give me proper medical care. I'll bet this deployment will be far different from my Iraq deployment.

As far as joining the AF with celiac, I believe that's one medical issue you CAN NOT join with. I wasn't diagnosed or showed signs of celiac when I joined. However, I would always ask the recruiter if it's still a possibility.
Diagnosed 10/20/08
Positive Bloodwork and Biopsy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: