Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Job Interview Plus Lunch!

16 posts in this topic

I have a job interview on Friday for a job I really want. First of all, I'm nervous about getting sick on that day (I tend to get really bad D when I'm stressed out, which makes me more stressed, which makes me sicker, which feeds a vicious cycle) but I just found out that I have to have lunch there too. I have no idea what to expect, but I'm sure it won't be easy to negotiate. All the etiquette advice I read online said "Don't make a big deal when you're dining at an interview." I value my health greatly, but I also don't want to be remembered as the chick who made such a big deal about the croutons!

Anyone have any advice?

Ads by Google:

Can you call ahead? If so ... do! That would be the biggest help, even better if you can actually go and talk to the manager. Then don't forget your card! Order simple, grilled chicken breast and plain salad "No croutons" oil and vinegar. After all, how responsible are you going to be to an employer if you aren't responsible for your own health?

Breath deep and pet your dog/cat or whatever until you are calm until it's time to go :D

Hello Shimma,

good luck at your job interview and lunch. I will cross my fingers for you ;) . Keep us posted, if you got the job.

I echo what Shirley mentioned--plain chicken or even just a salad (mixed in own bowl). And I would eat beforehand so you're not really very hungry.

Let us know how it goes!!

Maybe the person does not know you have celiac. Could you suggest a interview over coffee or something at Starbucks or something like that? Maybe you can bring your own food, or call ahead and see if they make gluten free foods. If they can not accomodate you then I would just go with a bit of your own food or not eat anything there.

Good luck and don't sweat it...you'll do fine

but I just found out that I have to have lunch there too.

I understand, you don't want to make a fuss for a job interview and don't want to be singled out. If I were in this situation I would eat before I went... when I got there I would secretly scan the available foods... if there was a veggie tray or fruit tray or a safe salad I would go for it. Otherwise, I would just grab a coke and say, "oh I'm not really that hungrey" they should understand, I mean a lot of people get nervous and can't eat during an interview. They probably wouldn't think anything of it :) Good luck!

Thanks everyone - I think it will turn out ok after all - it's an all-morning interview with several people, but lunch is at the end and if I don't eat much, I'll be able to last until I get home. Or I'll stash some snacks in my bag and eat in my car before heading home.

And as for the D - I'll start taking Pepto the night before and that should help.

Yeah, you'll do fine. Don't sweat it. Maybe they know celiac, who knows?

Just an update - I got the job! I'm so excited! Thanks for all your support.

Congratulations Simma! :D That is so super!

Wow congratulations! You must have made a good impression! What did you end up doing?

YOU GO GIRL :lol::D How did the lunch thing work out?

Congratulations! It is such a great feeling to get that call that you actually got the job. Oh, to be able to work again would be so nice. My budget would like it too!

Congrats! That's great! :-) Good luck in the new job!

Just an update - I got the job! I'm so excited! Thanks for all your support.

Congratulations :D

That is awesome--congrats !! :D