22 replies to this topic

#16 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

Lexi I understand your frustration. I've been at this for years and my family still insists that it's not fair for everyone to have to eat gluten free on my birthday. So, for the first few years we had two cakes and I had to put up with children going "yuck gluten free stinks" and feeling sick because my gluten-free food really wasn't because there were two dishes of everything made in the kitchen at the same time right next to each other. I even had my ex mother in law stick a piece of cake in my face once and say "look what I can eat you can't haha." So my solution for the next few years was to stop eating their food and make my own birthday cake and still put up with their crap. But now I realize it's my birthday and I call the shots. If it doesn't work for someone they don't have to come (and some don't and others just aren't invited). It's taken years to get my birthday back and find a solution that makes me happy. It stinks that it has to be that way but they are the insensitive ones and it's not my problem on my birthday. I wish things could be different but this is reality for me and I accept it openly - it comes with the territory.

I'm sure next year will be better! And, you are not alone by far. An accepting family is an exception most of the time :)

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

I would let them know that you are looking forward to seeing everyone and celebrating your birthday. Tell them that you want all of them to have a good time and that they should cook foods they love to eat. Tell them that you're still learning how sensitive you are to your "new allergy" and you will be bringing your own. If they want to do something special, have them help YOU make a mock apple pie with frozen apples, gluten free sugar cookie mix, gluten-free brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and butter. Or, you can bake a gluten-free cake and bring it for them to frost and put the new candles you bought in it.

happy Birthday!

This sounds like an interesting recipe... Could you write the complete recipe out?
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#18 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:44 PM

I am so happy that I found this forum!!! I feel better already! I am always SO WORRIED about hurting people's feelings that I don't even get to have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm done! I am definitely going to use some of your suggestions. It might be a pain in the butt, but I might just make some really cool gluten free dessert and then have everyone over to MY HOUSE to have some. It will be fun and different. So, well see.

The most important thing is to celebrate your birthday with people you love and not have to be stressed out about doing that.

I agree with you that finding this forum is the best thing that has happened to me since I was diagnosed with Celiac.It is the wisest, kindest and most knowledgeable bunch of folks united in one place!!!!!

If you have the energy make yourself something gluten-free (like a birthday cake?) for when your company comes or if it's too much work just enjoy the company. Just remember how special you are.

BTW, Happy Birthday!!!!

Loey Posted Image

#19 Lexi

Lexi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:04 PM

The Pumpkin cake was so yummy and so easy! I thought it tasted like pumpkin pie because it was so moist. I helped my Mom make it to make sure it was gluten-free. I found these new mixes that I REALLY like, and I get them at Native Sun. The brand is Hodgson Mill. I have had the chocolate chip cookies, brownies, and yellow cake, and loved them all. Anyway, I used a box of the yellow cake mix, and followed the directions on the back except I used Canoloa oil instead of butter, and I substituted a can of pumpkin for the eggs. I also used vanilla coconut milk instead of the buttermilk. I omitted the almost extract. I am definitely making it again for Thanksgiving!

#20 Lexi

Lexi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

Lexi I understand your frustration. I've been at this for years and my family still insists that it's not fair for everyone to have to eat gluten free on my birthday. So, for the first few years we had two cakes and I had to put up with children going "yuck gluten free stinks" and feeling sick because my gluten-free food really wasn't because there were two dishes of everything made in the kitchen at the same time right next to each other. I even had my ex mother in law stick a piece of cake in my face once and say "look what I can eat you can't haha." So my solution for the next few years was to stop eating their food and make my own birthday cake and still put up with their crap. But now I realize it's my birthday and I call the shots. If it doesn't work for someone they don't have to come (and some don't and others just aren't invited). It's taken years to get my birthday back and find a solution that makes me happy. It stinks that it has to be that way but they are the insensitive ones and it's not my problem on my birthday. I wish things could be different but this is reality for me and I accept it openly - it comes with the territory.

I'm sure next year will be better! And, you are not alone by far. An accepting family is an exception most of the time :)

Thanks for your response! It is nice to know I am not alone, and that other people can sympathize with me concerning my insensitve family members. I totally admire the people who can say what they REALLY feel. Maybe one of these days I will find the courage. I want to get My Birthday Back too!

#21 Lexi

Lexi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

The Pumpkin cake was so yummy and so easy! I thought it tasted like pumpkin pie because it was so moist. I helped my Mom make it to make sure it was gluten-free. I found these new mixes that I REALLY like, and I get them at Native Sun. The brand is Hodgson Mill. I have had the chocolate chip cookies, brownies, and yellow cake, and loved them all. Anyway, I used a box of the yellow cake mix, and followed the directions on the back except I used Canoloa oil instead of butter, and I substituted a can of pumpkin for the eggs. I also used vanilla coconut milk instead of the buttermilk. I omitted the almost extract. I am definitely making it again for Thanksgiving!

oops! I meant almond extract! :)

#22 Lexi

Lexi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

[quote name='Loey' date='11 November 2010 - 01:44 PM' timestamp='1289511854' post='652676']
The most important thing is to celebrate your birthday with people you love and not have to be stressed out about doing that.

I agree with you that finding this forum is the best thing that has happened to me since I was diagnosed with Celiac.It is the wisest, kindest and most knowledgeable bunch of folks united in one place!!!!!

If you have the energy make yourself something gluten-free (like a birthday cake?) for when your company comes or if it's too much work just enjoy the company. Just remember how special you are.

BTW, Happy Birthday!!!!

Loey Posted Image
[/qu
Thanks Loey!! I wish my family could make me feel as special as this forum does! :)

#23 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

[quote name='Lexi' date='11 November 2010 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1289520873' post='652719']
[quote name='Loey' date='11 November 2010 - 01:44 PM' timestamp='1289511854' post='652676']

BTW, Happy Birthday!!!!

Loey Posted Image
[/qu
Thanks Loey!! I wish my family could make me feel as special as this forum does! :)
[/quote]

This forum has become my extended family. If you ever want to just laugh go to the bottom of the forum page and then the link anything but celiac disease. There's a thread there called Tickle my Elbow. It's a fun loving bunch of people who will give you a laugh (and support) when you need it.

Your Pumpkin Cake sounds like it was delicious. Most people wouldn't even notice it if they were eating something gluten-free.
I'm lucky that most people in my family understand my dietary problems but they still get frustrated when they can't cook for me. My husband and son eat gluten-free at home and are great about it. We're going to a funeral this weekend and I'll have my own container of food.

Just remember we're all here for you and you ARE special!!!!

Loey Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: