#1 DucksnPucks

DucksnPucks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

Hello all,

I'm new to the Celiac family and having a rough week. I got a little lazy and allowed myself to eat small amounts of gluten last week, and the week before. I thought that since I really haven't had it bad, that my body would be ok with a corn dog here, or a small cheeseburger here. Well, the fatigue gradually began to build to the point now that I am struggling to make it through the day. Minor tummy problems, mostly C and some grumbling, though this morning I felt a bit nauseous. Big time loss of appetite and I've been losing weight now for about three weeks (about 8 pounds in three weeks).

I have been gluten free for about three days now. Fatigue seems to be the same, no real improvement. Tummy is doing OK. Appetite is still gone. How long before I start feeling better? Can it take a few weeks to get back on track? I haven't really had a major attack since 2001 when i dropped 40 pounds. That one lasted about 4 months, lots of D and stomach problems. I wasn't diagnosed then, told I had Chronic Fatigue and IBS. Since then it's been little tummy upsets here and there, lots of bloating, and little bouts of fatigue until this past July when things started going south.

Any ideas on how long it will take to get my energy back?

Thanks and much love to you all!Thanks to all for your support!

J

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

You will never get better if you cheat. :ph34r:

If you stick close to the diet, you should feel progressively better week after week, but there will be some ups and downs, and you may discover more confounding food intolerances. Six months later, I'm feeling much better.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 DucksnPucks

DucksnPucks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

You will never get better if you cheat. :ph34r:

If you stick close to the diet, you should feel progressively better week after week, but there will be some ups and downs, and you may discover more confounding food intolerances. Six months later, I'm feeling much better.

Thanks Marylin. I think with me, it's still sinking in how serious this can be and that cheating on my diet is not going to work.

I wonder if I'm becoming more sensitive to gluten after knocking it out for a spell?

#4 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

Thanks Marylin. I think with me, it's still sinking in how serious this can be and that cheating on my diet is not going to work.

I wonder if I'm becoming more sensitive to gluten after knocking it out for a spell?

yes- most of us have become more sensitive to it after going gluten free. your immune system is getting healthier & more vigilant. you cant cheat! this is not a diet- it's a genetic disease that you can CURE on your own simply by not eating it... no chemo... no steroids... just willpower- dont worry, it gets easier, promise
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

The reaction in the body can sustain itself for two weeks after the initial gluten exposure. (Doing damage that whole time, I might add.)

It may be a few weeks before you feel better.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: