arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

A Gluteny Food You've Craved But Definitely Not Worth It...

• Please log in to reply

35 replies to this topic

#16 cassP

cassP

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

my sister made one of Martha Stewart's Pumpkin cupcake recipes (the one with the cooked brown butter icing)... dont know which gluten-free flours she used, or if she added flaxmeal or xantham... but they were DELISH.. and the brown butter icing tasted like DOUGHNUT GLAZE... so yum :P
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

Fresh, crusty French bread. Anyone know how to get that French bread crust and the fluffy inside gluten-free?

My cornbread recipes have not changed. I make spoonbread or an old-fashioned buttermilk cornbread. Need a recipe, Rowena, or are you still off of dairy?

I recently received a breadmaker as a late birthday present , it has a gluten free mode on it and has different gluten free bread mix recipes , it's AMAZING , the bread tastes great. On Sunday I made some bread with the Juvela all purpose mix and the bread tasted really really good. I said after trying a slice it tasted like french bread :) Do you have a breadmaker ?
Diagnosed with Coeliac disease in 2003

#18 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

There isn't really any foods I really miss , sometimes I get frustrated about how much foods I can't eat , as long as I can drink Cider i'm good :D lol

#19 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

Anyone ever crave something gluteny, that if you were ever allowed to cheat, would never be worth it?

I just had a random craving for Spaghetti-Os...gak!!

DONUTS...though I didn't indulge before I went gluten-free, because of the calories. Now...I just might! (But they have to be the yeast...raised ones, not the cake ones!)

#20 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:03 PM

Indian garlic naan bread.

I can make it gluten free but it's just not the same you know ...
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#21 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:07 PM

Rowena, I have a good gluten free cornbread recipe (just cornmeal no other non-gluten flours) that I have made dairy free using a variety of nondairy milks. It is a very forgiving recipe too.

My craving would have to be the chicken & daumplings I used to make. I have made other recipes and they are good, just a different style of dumplings. My recipe used 6 cups of AP flour and I just hate to use that much gluten-free flour on one dish.

What kids of dumplings do you like? If it's not the big fluffy ones...I have a good recipe. It's for egg noodles, but made a little thicker, they are like the chicken and dumplings I made before being gluten-free. (If it's the big fluffy ones...I thought I saw a recipe...let me keep looking in my cookbooks)

#22 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:11 PM

BURRITOS!!! And Chinese food! OMG I miss pot stickers. And Moo Shu Pork
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#23 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

Christi, I'll take your recipe too!!! Thanks! As for dumplings, I have an amazing recipe for them, but I have yet to adapt to gluten-free so when I do, I'll hand it over. (Assuming it is successful of course.)
Tennisman- try making a recipe without the gluten free setting, it works too, and I think it tastes better. In fact Pamelas bread mix tells you NOT to use the gluten-free setting. But anyway....

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

#24 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

I recently received a breadmaker as a late birthday present , it has a gluten free mode on it and has different gluten free bread mix recipes , it's AMAZING , the bread tastes great. On Sunday I made some bread with the Juvela all purpose mix and the bread tasted really really good. I said after trying a slice it tasted like french bread :) Do you have a breadmaker ?

I have a breadmaker and I can make good fresh bread, but mine doesn't make the French bread crust right even with wheat. I loved the fresh baked baguettes in France, and I'm after the real deal. Long, thin bread, with a chewy, shiny crust and that fluffy, holey inside that's so soft it's hard to even butter. Even if I do a French style bread with wheat in my bread machine, the shape of the loaf is all wrong so you don't get all the crust. I used to make passable baguettes by setting up the dough in the bread machine and then baking in my oven with a pan of water at 450F for steam. I've played with gluten-free flours a bit but the texture of gluten-free baguettes I've made don't come close to the real thing.

#25 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

Pizza. Sandwiches. Eating cheese ... I miss cheese so badly I could cry.

#26 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

Pizza. Sandwiches. Eating cheese ... I miss cheese so badly I could cry.

you're so disciplined!i just cant break my cheese addiction... not on top of the gluten too... at least not yet. i am a very addictive person.. always dying for more seratonin... and i must conquer the ciggs next (for a 2nd time)... then maybe i can think about the cheese.. :(
i also have to get off all the frozen coffee drinks :(
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#27 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

A croissant. A tortilla that actually rolls.

#28 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:45 AM

I have a breadmaker and I can make good fresh bread, but mine doesn't make the French bread crust right even with wheat. I loved the fresh baked baguettes in France, and I'm after the real deal. Long, thin bread, with a chewy, shiny crust and that fluffy, holey inside that's so soft it's hard to even butter. Even if I do a French style bread with wheat in my bread machine, the shape of the loaf is all wrong so you don't get all the crust. I used to make passable baguettes by setting up the dough in the bread machine and then baking in my oven with a pan of water at 450F for steam. I've played with gluten-free flours a bit but the texture of gluten-free baguettes I've made don't come close to the real thing.

Cool , which bread mix do you use ? I used Juvela mix http://www.juvela.co...-free-white-mix and that made the fluffy bread. It wasn't long thin bread but it was definitely fluffy and the crust was kinda similar , it had a lot more crust than the previous bread mixes I have used. It sounds like it is difficult to make it perfectly. For me I don't mind what the bread or food looks like I just want it to taste nice :D lol That is how I remember the taste of french bread to be.

#29 heatherjane

heatherjane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

Right now, I'm wanting Totino's Pizza. Definitely not worth a cheat, but back in the day I could eat a whole one in one sitting.

#30 Cinderella10

Cinderella10

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

I will always and forever miss E.L. Fudge cookies. <sigh> Sometimes I miss Fig Newtons, but I've found a gluten-free recipe that suffices when I'm craving those.
Celiac dx May, 2009 via bloodwork

Allergy testing done 10/7/10, responded to:

Beef, Chicken, Eggs (White & Yolk), Milk, Bananas, Carrots, Corn

I'm currently working on an elimination diet to figure out what are actually problems and in what amounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: