4 replies to this topic

#1 sweetpea

sweetpea

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

I'm in the lucky 10% of those with Celiac that get the constipation and weight gain. I was curious if others here have had the same issues, and how best to lose the weight.
Diagnosed with Celiac disease (blood test and biopsy) April 2008.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa79

Lisa79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

Me too, I have always suffered constipation, I have been seeing a homeopath, and finally I feel less constipated :)

Although the weight gain still sucks, I have gained 17kg in 12 months ago :( I was pretty skinny when I was diagnosed, and in the last month or two I have started exercising most days, for at least 1 hr 5 times a week. I thought maybe I was just gaining muscle although my clothes are tighter not looser :( Cant notice any weight loss.

I find I am hungrier than I used to be, portion sizes are the issue, I also have a sweet tooth, which I never used to have.

Avoid gluten-free packaged cakes and biscuits, they contain more calories than other cakes and biscuits.

High protein diets with lots of fruit/veg I think is the way to go, I have set myself a goal of 5 kg by Christmas, wish me luck!

Lisa:)

Lisa :)

Me (30): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy March 2009 - Multiple food intolerances, nightshades, egg, some fruits and many more.
DH (29): Type 1 Diabetic Diagnosed 2005
DD(5): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy July 2009
DS (4) Positive Blood Test Aug 2010, awaiting biopsy

#3 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:06 AM

I didn't/don't have constipation and didn't have the unexplained weight loss sometimes experienced before diagnosis. But, I gained about 40 lbs. chowing down on all the gluten free stuff I COULD have to make up for the loss of what I could no longer have.

I finally had to admit to myself that I'm a total carb addict. I cut out bread, pasta, and rice ('cept for 2 cheat dinners a week and the occasional 1/2 cup brown rice w/ a meal)and ate lean proteins and fruts and veggies. I lost 20 lbs. in about 3-4 months and felt a lot better.

Working on that last 20...
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#4 sweetpea

sweetpea

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:09 AM

Actually, I packed on the weight before the diagnosis. I think not being able to get the nutrients from my foods b/c of the damage to my colon made me over eat, and helped to pack on the weight. I did gain 20 lbs after being diagnosed, but I think that has more to do with stopping birth control, because I gained the 20 lbs in only 2 weeks right after I stopped taking it! That was over two years ago. I haven't gained any weight since then, but I'm also in my 2nd pregnancy since that time. (I have an 18 mo daughter and my 2nd is due early Dec.) I'm trying to think ahead to after delivery so that I can make sure to lose some of this weight. I need to lose 50 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. Although I'm currently 3 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight (at 35 wks). Any good weight loss ideas would be appreciated.
Diagnosed with Celiac disease (blood test and biopsy) April 2008.

#5 K8Hanna

K8Hanna

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

I have the same issue. I keep reading stuff about people losing weight from Celiac and very little about being overweight. I am 24 and I was a size 0 until I hit age 19 and then I gained about 70 lbs in last 5 years! I work out 6 days a week and eat healthy but the weight just won't come off! :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: