This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overweight W/ Celiac

sweetpea

sweetpea Rookie

I'm in the lucky 10% of those with Celiac that get the constipation and weight gain. I was curious if others here have had the same issues, and how best to lose the weight.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa79 Enthusiast

Me too, I have always suffered constipation, I have been seeing a homeopath, and finally I feel less constipated :)

Although the weight gain still sucks, I have gained 17kg in 12 months ago :( I was pretty skinny when I was diagnosed, and in the last month or two I have started exercising most days, for at least 1 hr 5 times a week. I thought maybe I was just gaining muscle although my clothes are tighter not looser :( Cant notice any weight loss.

I find I am hungrier than I used to be, portion sizes are the issue, I also have a sweet tooth, which I never used to have.

Avoid gluten-free packaged cakes and biscuits, they contain more calories than other cakes and biscuits.

High protein diets with lots of fruit/veg I think is the way to go, I have set myself a goal of 5 kg by Christmas, wish me luck!

Lisa:)

luvs2eat Collaborator

I didn't/don't have constipation and didn't have the unexplained weight loss sometimes experienced before diagnosis. But, I gained about 40 lbs. chowing down on all the gluten free stuff I COULD have to make up for the loss of what I could no longer have.

I finally had to admit to myself that I'm a total carb addict. I cut out bread, pasta, and rice ('cept for 2 cheat dinners a week and the occasional 1/2 cup brown rice w/ a meal)and ate lean proteins and fruts and veggies. I lost 20 lbs. in about 3-4 months and felt a lot better.

Working on that last 20...

sweetpea Rookie

Actually, I packed on the weight before the diagnosis. I think not being able to get the nutrients from my foods b/c of the damage to my colon made me over eat, and helped to pack on the weight. I did gain 20 lbs after being diagnosed, but I think that has more to do with stopping birth control, because I gained the 20 lbs in only 2 weeks right after I stopped taking it! That was over two years ago. I haven't gained any weight since then, but I'm also in my 2nd pregnancy since that time. (I have an 18 mo daughter and my 2nd is due early Dec.) I'm trying to think ahead to after delivery so that I can make sure to lose some of this weight. I need to lose 50 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. Although I'm currently 3 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight (at 35 wks). Any good weight loss ideas would be appreciated.

• 3 months later...
K8Hanna Rookie

I have the same issue. I keep reading stuff about people losing weight from Celiac and very little about being overweight. I am 24 and I was a size 0 until I hit age 19 and then I gained about 70 lbs in last 5 years! I work out 6 days a week and eat healthy but the weight just won't come off! :(

Archived