This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving Desserts

missy'smom

missy'smom Collaborator

What are you all planning to make for Thanksgiving dessert? or what have you enjoyed in the past?

We made a pumpkin pie for Halloween so I want to make something different. I have made pumpkin cheesecakes in the past but DS likes his pupkin and cheesecake separately and grandma's cheesecake is reserved for Xmas. We've got some pecan pie eaters in the family but nuts are out for DS so that's a no-go. We've had pear cranberry crisp but we eat crisps often enough that I'd like to make something different. I thought about trying that pumpkin bundt cake that was posted here. Well, I'm looking for some ideas...

What's on your menu for after the meal?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

This is probably my most favorite pumpkin recipe. I think because I can have i done in the crock-pot just makes it more special. For my gluten free house I just use Pamela's flour mix. Works fine.

Open Original Shared Link

I love this one, you could leave out the nuts.

Dark Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Squares

Gooey Pumpkin Butter Cake

There are a lot of recipes on the web for Cranberry Pie. I make one each year. I take a few recipes and pick and choose what I want to add to the pie. I really do not have set recipe. Some years I do just cranberry and orange, cranberry and raspberry, cranberry and apple, cranberry and strawberry. Just whatever sounds good when I'm making it.

You could go with cookies:

Pumpkin Cookies

1 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1 cup pumpkin

1 egg

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon

½ teaspoon salt

1 cup raisins or nuts (optional) I’ve used dried cranberry too.

Heat oven to 375

Cream shortening, sugar and pumpkin. Add eggs and mix well. Add dry ingredients and Mix well. Drop by spoonfuls on to an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes

Frosting

3 tablespoons butter

4 teaspoons milk

½ cup brown sugar

1 cup powdered sugar

3/4 teaspoon vanilla

Cook butter, milk, brown sugar until dissolved. Cool slightly. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Spread on warm cookies.

I received this recipe from DyAnn in 1974 while in Goose Bay AFB.

Kay DH Apprentice

I'm making cherry cobbler. I'm making almost everything for Thanksgiving. I've been saving my gluten-free bread croutons for stuffing. My sister-in-law is bringing Stovetop Stuffing" in case people don't like my gluten-free stuffing (she's a bit stuffy). ;)

missy'smom Collaborator

Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming!

Pumpkin, cranberry...

Ya know, this has me thinking, how about maple flavored things? Anyone got any good ones along that line?

sb2178 Enthusiast

baked custard! pumpkin or maple

poached apples with cranberries

Juliebove Rising Star

Last year I made apple crisp. This year I will make pumpkin bread and cranberry muffins.

tarnalberry Community Regular

baked apples.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

baked apples.

Why is it that we always forget the simple things? Baked apples and vanilla icecream sounds good!

kitgordon Explorer

Not at all traditional (except in my family), but chocolate cream pie for the chocolate lovers. I'm sure someone will bring a more traditional apple or pumpkin dessert.

missy'smom Collaborator

Well, I think I stumbled upon a plan. Was brousing through some old magazines tonight and found...Apple, Cranberry, Currant Pie with French Crumb Topping. We've got one Whole Foods pie crust left in the freezer and kiddo's on a pie kick this year and that'll go over well with the fam. Back-up plan, baked apples w/ ice cream. Same ingredients needed for both!

bbuster Explorer

I don't know what our Thanksgiving plans are yet, but recently on a quest for some new desserts, I have found some that everyone liked. I like that they are all small/individual as opposed to a big pie or cake.

1) coconut cookies (I put caramel and chocolate chip cookies inside)

2) white chocolate chip pumpkin cookies

3) pumpkin spice mini cupcakes - I top these with a half cream cheese, half cool whip frosting so it is light, then top with either pecans or heath bar pieces

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, apple pie is always nice. I like cooking the apple filling in a pot on the stove. Not only is it faster, but I find it is easier to apply the top crust. Then it only has to bake long enough to brown the crust, and the filling doesn't ooze out all over. I've also used finely shredded coconut instead of a top crust, and baked it just until the coconut gets golden. A crumb topping is good too.

Apple rhubarb or apple with cherries/berries is really good too.

summerteeth Enthusiast

My go-to is always dump cake. So easy, so bad for you, and everyone loves it. I want to stick to something easy this year because I have to make a whole gluten free meal for my fiance's family.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

Baked apples or apple pie, and pecan pie!

Wenmin Enthusiast

These are some of my favorite with a little tweak can become gluten free instantly.

No Bake Cookies

Ingredients:

mbrookes Community Regular

Try a rich raisiney rice pudding with rum sauce. I use the same rum sauce I used to have with bread pudding, just thicken with cornstarch instead of flour.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I'm always in charge of the pies for the holidays. I always do the traditional 2 Libby's pumpkin pies and then an apple and a triple berry pie (use the frozen berries I get at Costco)

This is my favorite apple pie recipe!!

I make my own gluten-free crust then just sub Pamela's in for the rest of the flours listed in the recipe.

jerseyangel Proficient

I make my own gluten-free crust then just sub Pamela's in for the rest of the flours listed in the recipe.

I just bookmarked that--it looks delicious! :D

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I just bookmarked that--it looks delicious! :D

Oh it is amazing!! Especially if you slice the apples thin like the picture shows.

MelindaLee Contributor

I'm making cherry cobbler. I'm making almost everything for Thanksgiving. I've been saving my gluten-free bread croutons for stuffing. My sister-in-law is bringing Stovetop Stuffing" in case people don't like my gluten-free stuffing (she's a bit stuffy). ;)

Stove top is stuffy....:lol:

MelindaLee Contributor

I'm always in charge of the pies for the holidays. I always do the traditional 2 Libby's pumpkin pies and then an apple and a triple berry pie (use the frozen berries I get at Costco)

Pear pie is always great. I just use pears in place of apples in any recipe. Much more delicate taste! :P Yum!

Archived