10 replies to this topic

#1 GuyC

GuyC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

I'm newly diagnosed Celiac (as of 10/27/10). I happen to be a Reserve Deputy with the local Sheriff's Office. Someone had to point out that at least now I won't be distracted when I drive by a dounut shop!
-Guy

gluten-free since 10/27/2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

I'm newly diagnosed Celiac (as of 10/27/10). I happen to be a Reserve Deputy with the local Sheriff's Office. Someone had to point out that at least now I won't be distracted when I drive by a dounut shop!

:P :P :P

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

Just in case you end up distracted because you long to stop in keep some Kinnickinnick doughnuts handy. :D

Welcome to the board. Ask any questions you need to and I hope you are feeling great soon.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

Ok. This is spooky! GuyC is a potato head too! Are we related?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

Oh no, surrounded by potato heads and pumpkin heads!

Welcome to the site! You might want to avoid the Starbucks coffee too. There are some threads around discussing possible gluten in some versions of the lattes I think it was. I quit coffee and tea a while back so I don't remember what the issue was really. Starbucks was selling a gluten free snack cake for a while but then scrapped it and now I think they sell Lara bars or Kind bars, something like that. Probably the plain coffee is the safest choice if you like that yugly stuff.

Try a search on snack ideas and breakfast ideas in the search box on left top of site. There are several threads with good ideas for things you can take to work easily. Fruit is a good one for many people or hard boiled eggs.

Hmmm, hard fried pumpkin slices might be good too... Eh Karighnne? :D
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:04 PM

I thought you were a mini pumpkin, Karen! :D

Good luck Guy C, and wish you very good health. I hope you won't miss the donuts too much.

Since you work on the road and may start packing your lunch, I've found that all hospital cafeterias have microwaves for employees to heat their lunches. Sometimes the hospital cafeterias have stuff that you can eat, too.

I had baked salmon with a whole baked sweet potato for $4.26 yesterday at a hospital cafeteria without consequences, and it was really good!

Could be interesting to have a Gluten Police Force documentary... :)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#7 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

Both my brothers are Sheriffs. Welcome to the club you never wanted to join! Kinnikinnick donuts are good. I do second that recommendation.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#8 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:00 AM

Starbucks actually has several options they consider gluten free and they sell items in their store that are gluten free, a brand of cookies (but have Oats so I can't have them) and some other options. Certain lattes and other drinks are not safe for celiacs but straight up coffee is fine. I am a pesonal fan of the peppermint hot chocolate and the green tea lemonade!

#9 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

Starbucks actually has several options they consider gluten free and they sell items in their store that are gluten free, a brand of cookies (but have Oats so I can't have them) and some other options. Certain lattes and other drinks are not safe for celiacs but straight up coffee is fine. I am a pesonal fan of the peppermint hot chocolate and the green tea lemonade!

I've never had issues with my non-fat vanilla latte. I heard the sugar free was an issue...so, I just stick with my full sugar choice! :lol:

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:14 PM

I thought you were a mini pumpkin, Karen! :D

I'm a full sized pumpkin, Matey! Argggh!

How does it feel to get advice from a pumpkin with a Mr Potatohead face? I'm thinking you might not take me seriously. :)

LTES

#11 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

I'm a full sized pumpkin, Matey! Argggh!

How does it feel to get advice from a pumpkin with a Mr Potatohead face? I'm thinking you might not take me seriously. :)

Karen,

Arggh, I am sorry! I'm a vegetable farmer's daughter (onions), tend to be veggie focused and did not mean to be offensive. :huh:

Celiac Cop, I hope you have a good shift from the other side. It isn't always going to be easy, but it gets better!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: