Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Know Why Tamales Would Make Me Sick?

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#16 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

Pretty sure it's not wheat, I have tolerated test of piece of bread a mo ago. Maybe it was food poisoning?? I got nauseated 30 min after I ate them.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. In your first post you said you have been really careful to be gluten free. Did you eat the bread before you started trying to be gluten free? I didn't have bad stomach-related reactions to regular bread before I went gluten free either. I became much more sensitive to gluten (AKA wheat, rye, barley) after I was 100% gluten free for a while. Now if I have even a little bit I get symptoms similar to food poisioning. Maybe that is what's going on with you?
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 crampy girl

crampy girl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:39 AM

I think we all thought you had Celiac or gluten intolerance. Not sure what to tell you. Could be any of the ingredients or none (virus, food poisoning, other food or medication).

I do have gluten intol, proven by daily cramps and diarrhea remission after I stopped consuming gluten. And even better w/o dairy. I did the enterolab and it came back pos for gluten and dairy IgA elev and I have the celiac and the gluten gene. Along w some mild fat malabsorption. But perhaps it was the butter or corn flour or food poisoning? Just wondered if anyone out there had heard of a crazy reaction like that. Well my Nanny will eat the tamales and if she doesn't get sick....will have me perplexed, unless I happened to get the bacteria batch. Just everything I read on food poisoning says it starts 2-4 hrs later and lasts much longer than the 3 hr ordeal I had. <_<
43 year old female with IBS symtoms for 25+ years.
Celiac blood panel tests neg x 2
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1, 0201; HLA DQB1 Allele 2 0602; Serologic EQ HLA-DQ 2,1 (SUPTYPE 2-6)
ANTI CASEIN IGA 30 UNITS (Normal less than 10)
Fecal Anti gliadin IgA. 24 (normal less than 10)
Fecal Anti-tissue TG IgA 8 (normal less than 8)
Anti Soy IgA 34 units
Fat malabsorption- 356 normal less than 300
Vit D deficient by blood test

#18 crampy girl

crampy girl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. In your first post you said you have been really careful to be gluten free. Did you eat the bread before you started trying to be gluten free? I didn't have bad stomach-related reactions to regular bread before I went gluten free either. I became much more sensitive to gluten (AKA wheat, rye, barley) after I was 100% gluten free for a while. Now if I have even a little bit I get symptoms similar to food poisioning. Maybe that is what's going on with you?

I was sort of gluten free when I ate the bread, only for about a mo. Because I got tired of the diet. Maybe I should test that out and eat some bagels....mmmmm I do miss em much!
Since then I have been gluten free for about 2 mo.....
43 year old female with IBS symtoms for 25+ years.
Celiac blood panel tests neg x 2
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1, 0201; HLA DQB1 Allele 2 0602; Serologic EQ HLA-DQ 2,1 (SUPTYPE 2-6)
ANTI CASEIN IGA 30 UNITS (Normal less than 10)
Fecal Anti gliadin IgA. 24 (normal less than 10)
Fecal Anti-tissue TG IgA 8 (normal less than 8)
Anti Soy IgA 34 units
Fat malabsorption- 356 normal less than 300
Vit D deficient by blood test

#19 Herreralovv

Herreralovv

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

Maseca corn flour is said to be gluten free on their website. Its a lil more expensive than other brands. But its the only one i trust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: