34 replies to this topic

#16 precious831

precious831

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

In my most optimistic voice I say, absolutely not! I don't like being this way. Even makes it harder because I have to be completely grain-free, aside from dairy and soy-free.
Grain-free,dairy-free, soy-free (celiac, possible colitis now as well).
Extremely allergic to shellfish, Aspirin & Ibuprofen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

Basically I like that it can be treated on my own without expensive drugs. I like that it can get me out of situations like eating gross storebought cake at work without hurting anyone's feelings.

I don't like that it makes traveling a pain. That outings with friends always involve a big debate about where I can and can't eat. I especially don't like that when my baby nephews toddle up with cookie crumbs all over their hands and face I have to reject their hugs and kisses.

#18 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:57 AM

I like that it has forced me to go out of my way to try new things and not fall into a "standard american diet" rut. It means that going dairy free was much easier, cooking for my picky husband is much easier, making modifications for other dietary issues (baby, hubby's high blood pressure, vegetarian friends, etc.) is much easier.

The rest of it, I'm fairly ambivalent about. It is what it is.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#19 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

Some days I like it, some days it's a nightmare. Just depends on the situation and my mood I guess. I like being healthy. I like cooking. I like trying new foods. I don't like the inconvience. I don't like the social limitations. I REALLY don't like that the smallest amount of CC can make me sick for close to a week.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#20 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

I agree with many of the above posters. This has forced me to really look at the American Diet. Because my diet was so "limited" (or so I thought) it ended up opening up a variety of yummy food I never considered. I've learned so much about eating organic, non processed food. I'm amazed that so many of my physical symptoms can be completely managed without drugs, just food and exercise. I in my heart believe that most of the population is walking around feeling like crap all the time and calling it normal. Until my body was clean I didn't realize I felt absolutely, well, like crap for probably a good decade. I feel years younger.
So it's totally inconvenient, has made traveling a scary ordeal...but I love feeling good and eating well.

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

I figure we are all made the way we are for a reason. And we need to accept that there is a reason for it and it is for the good. We may not understand it, but that's ok. We is just people after all. My cousin is unable to walk since birth, he is studying to be a teacher, and my ex has a son who can't walk. I've had friends who were blind, and I know a woman who is a quadraplegic and runs an IT department for the Navy and comes to work everyday in a wheelchair. She can't even drive. I like that I am not any of those people, even though they are actually amazing and wonderful people.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 kdonov2

kdonov2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:21 PM

I enjoy the challenge of cooking and baking new things, and finding and adapting recipes - I am actually liking to cook more than I have in years. I had gotten into such a rut of cooking the "same old things". And I enjoy not being afraid to be away from the bathroom. But, if I could make celiac go away, and go back to eating like everybody else, I would, of course.

^^^^^^Agreed.

#23 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

As far as health problems go, it's not too bad. At least diet treats it. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything important in life now that I'm gluten-free. If I could snap my fingers and not be celiac, I definitely would.

#24 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

Almost age 60 and only 7 months celiac. Do I like it? hmmm Some days I hate it and other days I don't mind so much. Each day I think it gets a tad easier. What I do like is that for the first time in my life I feel healthy and am eating healthy. I am enjoying trying new foods and (on some days!!) learning to cook. Overall - I don't like it and I don't hate it. It is as it is. Hey - we're all special!!! :o

#25 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

Funny you started this thread. Yesterday I got the results from the genetic testing. Everything came back neg. I was disapointed. The gluten free diet does make me feel better (dx'ed non celiac gluten sensitivity). But I know that my family will think I can cheat because I don't have a REAL disease. If I could tell them that I have celiac, there would not be any hassle about meals for the holidays. I can hear them now asking why do I always have to be weird and different.

Ha, I was the same when I got my gene test results. I know I can't eat gluten, it would have been nice to have a concrete reason why. Oh well, I'm just waiting for science to catch up with how I feel.

#26 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

I agree with many of the above posters. This has forced me to really look at the American Diet. Because my diet was so "limited" (or so I thought) it ended up opening up a variety of yummy food I never considered. I've learned so much about eating organic, non processed food. I'm amazed that so many of my physical symptoms can be completely managed without drugs, just food and exercise. I in my heart believe that most of the population is walking around feeling like crap all the time and calling it normal. Until my body was clean I didn't realize I felt absolutely, well, like crap for probably a good decade. I feel years younger.
So it's totally inconvenient, has made traveling a scary ordeal...but I love feeling good and eating well.

I second that!

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#27 rdunbar

rdunbar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

I like being celiac in that following this diet I look and feel like I am 15 to 20 years younger than most people my age (61). I also am much more knowledgeable about health which feels good. I already went through a lot of the stuff beginning in my twenties that a lot of people don't face until they are my age.

The final blessing came 3 years ago when I discovered I needed to be free of even trace glutens--which I didn't know about previously. The change in my health for the better was and is remarkable! I feel like I am way ahead of the game in that respect. I now look forward to the rest of my "old age" rather than dreading it like most people in this country. When I look at the average diet I cringe actually. I certainly wouldn't want to eat like most people here do...

Nevertheless, it would be nice to be less reactive to trace amounts of gluten since as it is I get cc'd from trace gluten in the environment at work etc. and have resultant migraines etc. I would rather not deal with. However it still is way better than being sick for one to three months like I used to get all the time...

One benefit actually that I have read about and observed is that it is often the case that people who have celiac and don't eat gluten are more flexible, are more resistant to disease and often live to be older compared to the rest of the population.

Bea

I'm really sensative to trace amounts of gluten as well; after getting serious about removing any expososure I may be getting to t best of my ability for @8 months, I'm finally doing better. I didn't eat wheat or bread for @3 years previously with scant results.
Now I'm worried about my vitamins and supplements containing trace gluten despite it them saying 'no gluten' on the label.

To the OP, no, I don't like being celiac. I know what you mean, though, I certainly get satisfaction from eating no processed and packaged foods, and it's exciting to have hope of healing from all the damage that's been done from poisoning myself for 40 years;
I have dermatitas herpetiformis, and can tell you that no one likes going through having this condition. It's like asking if someone likes to be tortured. It's itchy to the point of intense pain and burning,
as far as the neurological problems I've had, it's definatly not fun either. Just all the mood disorders I've had have been unspeakably disabling and have interfered with my life so much, I can't even entertain the idea of liking it.
I do like finally having some answers about how gluten and my reaction to it have caused so many different problems for me that I didnt even dream were related to each other.
And I'm excited that I'm slowly getting better, and am finding out a little bit what it is to feel okay

#28 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

I'm glad to have found answers for so many questions about my mental health. I'm happy to be happy again. I'm thrilled that I can laugh at a joke and can care about very basic things again.

I'm happy that something in me isn't always upset (mind, body, bowels, stomach, nerves).

And I'm really happy that things didn't progress. I don't have Lupus or MS or worse.

So, in following your OP, I am happy I know I have it. I miss a few things, but that's life. B) Happier now than before.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#29 UnhappyCoeliac

UnhappyCoeliac

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

^^ I know there is a relation to Celiac & MS but comparing them is a little to doomsday and doesnt serve much of a purpose IMO, my doctor and my good friend said genetically they're are still a fair way apart.

No... I'd say anyone saying yes is lieing
Ya being forced to eat a little healthier at some points doesnt out weight the con of all the time effort to research this and all the little pleasured u miss out on.

#30 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:54 AM

The health problems I have had from being Celiac have been annoying.

But I kinda like being Celiac as it's a part of who I am, it also makes me more unique, and even though it has been annoying at times I feel lucky to be a Celiac and all the problems that go with it. It's wierd and strange to explain but I do kinda like it lol
Diagnosed with Coeliac disease in 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: