25 replies to this topic

#1 mommyoftwinks

mommyoftwinks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

Are their espresso drinks (like the pumpkin spice or white chocolate mocha, etc) gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 HardcoreDior

HardcoreDior

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

Not necessarily!

I found this out the hard way. I am from Ontario, Canada, so depending on where you are the ingredients could be different. Starbucks specifically doesn't post the ingredients in their flavoured syrups because they want the ability to change their ingredient lists.

So, my rule of thumb - read the label. Ask them for the bottle of the flavoured syrup that your preferred drink will be made of and make sure it is gluten free.

Also, from my experience, the people who work there are not trained in which of their products contain allergens or ingredients people commonly have intolerances to. So don't ask them - make sure you check for yourself.

I should also tell you that the outlook is not bleak. Where I am, I react to the Surar free Vanilla and Caramel, but the Sugar Free Hazelnut and Cinnamon Dolce are fine.

Good luck!

#3 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:36 PM

What about the hot chocolate? (I'm in Ontario as well)

#4 mommyoftwinks

mommyoftwinks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:14 AM

i had someone there look at the label and she said none of the syrups contain wheat?
i'm confused, though...i just assumed they either would or they wouldn't, you know?

i emailed them three weeks ago and have yet to hear a response.

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:33 AM

i had someone there look at the label and she said none of the syrups contain wheat?
i'm confused, though...i just assumed they either would or they wouldn't, you know?

i emailed them three weeks ago and have yet to hear a response.

They might contain barley malt or malt. This is sometimes used as a sweetener. They change them but at one time it was in a seasonal flavor syrup.

we just had this topic a day or 2 ago.
http://www.celiac.co..._0

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

Things seem to have changed at Starbucks regarding gluten/allergens. What I have personally found is that if you call them and ask about a specific item, they will tell you if it contains gluten.

I'm not in Canada, but to the person who asked about hot chocolate--I called 2 weeks ago and asked about the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate and was told that it does contain gluten.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:21 PM

I'm not in Canada, but to the person who asked about hot chocolate--I called 2 weeks ago and asked about the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate and was told that it does contain gluten.

Bummer! That's only Starbucks product I liked :angry: Thanks for the info though.

#8 loubyloo

loubyloo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:44 PM

I'm in the UK. Do u have toffee nut syrup? Do u know if it's ok? What are the ingredients I should check for?

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

I'm in the UK. Do u have toffee nut syrup? Do u know if it's ok? What are the ingredients I should check for?

Sounds good! I would look for barley, malt, barley malt, & of course wheat. I don't know if gluten hides under any different names over there. Barley malt is a sweetener.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 mommyoftwinks

mommyoftwinks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:35 PM

does the Caramel Brule Latte contain gluten? their site says it doesnt contain wheat.

#11 SaraKat

SaraKat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:26 AM

does the Caramel Brule Latte contain gluten? their site says it doesnt contain wheat.

I just had one yesterday with no problems. I don't think they can guarantee any of their stuff though.
Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10
Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10
Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10

#12 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

My local starbucks told me that their Christmas drinks were NOT Gluten free.They said their teas are, so I had a chai tea but didn't feel great days later (I only have neuro symptoms and it has been exceptionally bad lately-don't know if it is what I am eating or just the yukkiness of neuropathy and associated things that are unpredictable)
So now I don't trust anything from Sratbucks except their regular coffee.
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#13 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:23 PM

My local starbucks told me that their Christmas drinks were NOT Gluten free.They said their teas are, so I had a chai tea but didn't feel great days later (I only have neuro symptoms and it has been exceptionally bad lately-don't know if it is what I am eating or just the yukkiness of neuropathy and associated things that are unpredictable)
So now I don't trust anything from Sratbucks except their regular coffee.

Starbucks Chai tea is gluten free. I drink them all the time and I verified both with the ingredients list and by calling the company. They will verify their drinks if you call them.

#14 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:20 AM

They've confirmed to me that Peppermint Mocha and Peppermint Hot Chocolate is in fact gluten free. Sated Hot Chocolate, however, is not.

#15 SaraKat

SaraKat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

Does anyone know if the white chocolate mocha is gluten-free? I love that one.
Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10
Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10
Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: