Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Starbucks

26 posts in this topic

Are their espresso drinks (like the pumpkin spice or white chocolate mocha, etc) gluten free?

Ads by Google:

Not necessarily!

I found this out the hard way. I am from Ontario, Canada, so depending on where you are the ingredients could be different. Starbucks specifically doesn't post the ingredients in their flavoured syrups because they want the ability to change their ingredient lists.

So, my rule of thumb - read the label. Ask them for the bottle of the flavoured syrup that your preferred drink will be made of and make sure it is gluten free.

Also, from my experience, the people who work there are not trained in which of their products contain allergens or ingredients people commonly have intolerances to. So don't ask them - make sure you check for yourself.

I should also tell you that the outlook is not bleak. Where I am, I react to the Surar free Vanilla and Caramel, but the Sugar Free Hazelnut and Cinnamon Dolce are fine.

Good luck!

What about the hot chocolate? (I'm in Ontario as well)

i had someone there look at the label and she said none of the syrups contain wheat?

i'm confused, though...i just assumed they either would or they wouldn't, you know?

i emailed them three weeks ago and have yet to hear a response.

i had someone there look at the label and she said none of the syrups contain wheat?

i'm confused, though...i just assumed they either would or they wouldn't, you know?

i emailed them three weeks ago and have yet to hear a response.

They might contain barley malt or malt. This is sometimes used as a sweetener. They change them but at one time it was in a seasonal flavor syrup.

we just had this topic a day or 2 ago.

Things seem to have changed at Starbucks regarding gluten/allergens. What I have personally found is that if you call them and ask about a specific item, they will tell you if it contains gluten.

I'm not in Canada, but to the person who asked about hot chocolate--I called 2 weeks ago and asked about the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate and was told that it does contain gluten.

I'm not in Canada, but to the person who asked about hot chocolate--I called 2 weeks ago and asked about the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate and was told that it does contain gluten.

Bummer! That's only Starbucks product I liked :angry: Thanks for the info though.

I'm in the UK. Do u have toffee nut syrup? Do u know if it's ok? What are the ingredients I should check for?

I'm in the UK. Do u have toffee nut syrup? Do u know if it's ok? What are the ingredients I should check for?

Sounds good! I would look for barley, malt, barley malt, & of course wheat. I don't know if gluten hides under any different names over there. Barley malt is a sweetener.

does the Caramel Brul

My local starbucks told me that their Christmas drinks were NOT Gluten free.They said their teas are, so I had a chai tea but didn't feel great days later (I only have neuro symptoms and it has been exceptionally bad lately-don't know if it is what I am eating or just the yukkiness of neuropathy and associated things that are unpredictable)

So now I don't trust anything from Sratbucks except their regular coffee.

My local starbucks told me that their Christmas drinks were NOT Gluten free.They said their teas are, so I had a chai tea but didn't feel great days later (I only have neuro symptoms and it has been exceptionally bad lately-don't know if it is what I am eating or just the yukkiness of neuropathy and associated things that are unpredictable)

So now I don't trust anything from Sratbucks except their regular coffee.

Starbucks Chai tea is gluten free. I drink them all the time and I verified both with the ingredients list and by calling the company. They will verify their drinks if you call them.

They've confirmed to me that Peppermint Mocha and Peppermint Hot Chocolate is in fact gluten free. Sated Hot Chocolate, however, is not.

Does anyone know if the white chocolate mocha is gluten-free? I love that one.

According to Starbucks, we shouldn't drink anything at their stores. Below is their response to the question: "What drinks are gluten free?"(submitted via the Starbucks website).

I love Starbucks, but I've had it with their refusal to publish a gluten-free drink list. It seems like they would rather we use rumor and trial-and-error rather than share what we could safely drink (with the awareness of possible cross contamination). It's just not a responsible or caring business method.

Response received Nov. 24, 2010

Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

Unfortunately we can not guaranty that the drinks served at our stores are gluten-free.

Additional nutrition facts can be found at www.starbucks.com

Kind regards.

Luis C

Tazo Customer Relations

I drink the pumpkin spice lattes at least once a week and have yet to have a problem. Starbucks won't list any of their drinks as gluten-free because of the risk of cross-contamination, but as far as I know, many of their drinks are safe. As long as you aren't too sensitive, just ask to check the label on whatever syrups will be put in your drinks and avoid drinks with chocolate/java chips in them. I don't know this from experience but I've heard multiple times that the chocolate/java chips and vanilla powder (at the condiment bar) contain gluten.

They've confirmed to me that Peppermint Mocha and Peppermint Hot Chocolate is in fact gluten free. Sated Hot Chocolate, however, is not.

I Thought the peppermint mocha was safe but apparently NOT I was soooooo sick! We also have to factor in the high contamination rate. And in different places the ingredients differ. I live on the West Coast of Canada and have discoverd that their seasonal drinks are Not gluten free and will make you sick!

I really miss being able to get more than ice tea at Starbucks, a lot of the syrups have Carmel in them which if you don't know can contain gluten.

My kids drink hot cocoa and peppermint hot cocoa ~2x a week and we've never had a problem.

The syrups, the last I checked, are gluten-free at Starbucks. I try to limit sugar, but occasionally order my latte with Classic syrup and have never had an issue.

The best way to know if a particular drink or ingredient at Starbucks is gluten-free is to call them at the corporate 800 number.

I had a swig from my husband's white chocolate mocha yesterday and didn't have any reactions to it (I'm extremely sensitive). I live in Canada though. I drink peppermint mochas here all the time too and they have been good to me.

Not necessarily!

I found this out the hard way. I am from Ontario, Canada, so depending on where you are the ingredients could be different. Starbucks specifically doesn't post the ingredients in their flavoured syrups because they want the ability to change their ingredient lists.

So, my rule of thumb - read the label. Ask them for the bottle of the flavoured syrup that your preferred drink will be made of and make sure it is gluten free.

Also, from my experience, the people who work there are not trained in which of their products contain allergens or ingredients people commonly have intolerances to. So don't ask them - make sure you check for yourself.

I should also tell you that the outlook is not bleak. Where I am, I react to the Surar free Vanilla and Caramel, but the Sugar Free Hazelnut and Cinnamon Dolce are fine.

Good luck!

thanks for posting this suggestion! Perhaps that means I can have starbucks again! I can't believe that I didn't think of that before!! It's a shame more employees in resturants aren't trained about what exactly gluten free means. Some people think it's just noodles :) For me it's so much more! Thanks again!

thanks for posting this suggestion! Perhaps that means I can have starbucks again! I can't believe that I didn't think of that before!! It's a shame more employees in resturants aren't trained about what exactly gluten free means. Some people think it's just noodles :) For me it's so much more! Thanks again!

If you call them and ask about a beverage or ingredient, they will help you.

800-Starbuc (800-782-7282)

I go there several times a week--lots you can have.

I really miss being able to get more than ice tea at Starbucks, a lot of the syrups have Carmel in them which if you don't know can contain gluten.

Caramel is gluten free. I have never come across any that isn't. You still should always check ingredients listings but caramel is not a worry.