25 replies to this topic

#16 tl2277

tl2277

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

According to Starbucks, we shouldn't drink anything at their stores. Below is their response to the question: "What drinks are gluten free?"(submitted via the Starbucks website).

I love Starbucks, but I've had it with their refusal to publish a gluten-free drink list. It seems like they would rather we use rumor and trial-and-error rather than share what we could safely drink (with the awareness of possible cross contamination). It's just not a responsible or caring business method.

Response received Nov. 24, 2010

Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

Unfortunately we can not guaranty that the drinks served at our stores are gluten-free.

Additional nutrition facts can be found at www.starbucks.com

Kind regards.

Luis C

Tazo Customer Relations

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 gfblltgirl

gfblltgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

I drink the pumpkin spice lattes at least once a week and have yet to have a problem. Starbucks won't list any of their drinks as gluten-free because of the risk of cross-contamination, but as far as I know, many of their drinks are safe. As long as you aren't too sensitive, just ask to check the label on whatever syrups will be put in your drinks and avoid drinks with chocolate/java chips in them. I don't know this from experience but I've heard multiple times that the chocolate/java chips and vanilla powder (at the condiment bar) contain gluten.

#18 Kemmanuel

Kemmanuel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

They've confirmed to me that Peppermint Mocha and Peppermint Hot Chocolate is in fact gluten free. Sated Hot Chocolate, however, is not.

I Thought the peppermint mocha was safe but apparently NOT I was soooooo sick! We also have to factor in the high contamination rate. And in different places the ingredients differ. I live on the West Coast of Canada and have discoverd that their seasonal drinks are Not gluten free and will make you sick!

#19 GFLOOPIE

GFLOOPIE

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

I really miss being able to get more than ice tea at Starbucks, a lot of the syrups have Carmel in them which if you don't know can contain gluten.

#20 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

My kids drink hot cocoa and peppermint hot cocoa ~2x a week and we've never had a problem.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#21 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

The syrups, the last I checked, are gluten-free at Starbucks. I try to limit sugar, but occasionally order my latte with Classic syrup and have never had an issue.

The best way to know if a particular drink or ingredient at Starbucks is gluten-free is to call them at the corporate 800 number.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#22 jennsteinhauer

jennsteinhauer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

I had a swig from my husband's white chocolate mocha yesterday and didn't have any reactions to it (I'm extremely sensitive). I live in Canada though. I drink peppermint mochas here all the time too and they have been good to me.
gluten-free since 7.5.2010
started a snowball effect of friends finding out they're celiac 7.6.2010

#23 Bruisin

Bruisin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Not necessarily!

I found this out the hard way. I am from Ontario, Canada, so depending on where you are the ingredients could be different. Starbucks specifically doesn't post the ingredients in their flavoured syrups because they want the ability to change their ingredient lists.

So, my rule of thumb - read the label. Ask them for the bottle of the flavoured syrup that your preferred drink will be made of and make sure it is gluten free.

Also, from my experience, the people who work there are not trained in which of their products contain allergens or ingredients people commonly have intolerances to. So don't ask them - make sure you check for yourself.

I should also tell you that the outlook is not bleak. Where I am, I react to the Surar free Vanilla and Caramel, but the Sugar Free Hazelnut and Cinnamon Dolce are fine.

Good luck!

thanks for posting this suggestion! Perhaps that means I can have starbucks again! I can't believe that I didn't think of that before!! It's a shame more employees in resturants aren't trained about what exactly gluten free means. Some people think it's just noodles :) For me it's so much more! Thanks again!

#24 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

thanks for posting this suggestion! Perhaps that means I can have starbucks again! I can't believe that I didn't think of that before!! It's a shame more employees in resturants aren't trained about what exactly gluten free means. Some people think it's just noodles :) For me it's so much more! Thanks again!

If you call them and ask about a beverage or ingredient, they will help you.

800-Starbuc (800-782-7282)

I go there several times a week--lots you can have.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#25 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

I really miss being able to get more than ice tea at Starbucks, a lot of the syrups have Carmel in them which if you don't know can contain gluten.

Caramel is gluten free. I have never come across any that isn't. You still should always check ingredients listings but caramel is not a worry.

#26 RaeSaldivar

RaeSaldivar

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Oh wow, I drink lattes all the time on campus and have never once thought about wether or not the syrups are gluten free. I guess I figured gluten was limited to bread like items. Glad i ran across this post. I'll be more cautious from now on.

"Beautiful things happen when you distance yourself from negativity."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: