This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Regarding Magnesium Injections

Nanjee

Nanjee Rookie

:) Hi cdford - I am a "newbie" - diagnosed with severe gluten intolerance through Entero Lab - I have also had Fibro for 20 years ;) Lived well with it until the last 4-1/2 years. Gluten intolerance has added some very bad things to the pot !!!

I have been browsing this site for a while now - and finally had the courage to make a few posts.

Your post reagrding magnesium injections mad me almost fall off of my chair !!!

I have been recieving mag injections - 1000 mg/weekly - for 5-1/2 months. I am SO excited to see that there is someone else out there who also uses mag IM.

It has relieved my migraines (mostly) - does help with some pain - gives me a little more energy - makes me feel warmer - shut down muscle spasms - they have been a Godsend after spending 4-1/2 years thinking I was certainly dying.

My husband has learned how to give the injections, so we will be able to do them at home. We also may use them a little more often - maybe 500 mg every 2nd or third day. We give them deep into the big old Glute muscles :)

Thanks also for posting the gluten-free brand names of Xylocaine - my internist will be ordering for me next week - and I am going to let him know this information.

There is such a wealth of knowledge here - I am sure it will take me quite a while to sift through it all.

I bet you never knew when you posted this that you would be helping out a newbie so much ----- thank you !!!

I am looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Hugs to you .......

Nanjee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cdford Contributor

Thanks Nanjee. I am sorry that you are having to use the IM version. My endocrinologist says that they are not better, just more painful than the subcutaneous ones. They do work quickly and make a world of difference. I am glad to have given you some information and some encouragement. Keep me posted on how you are doing. You will probably see your FMS symptoms get much better over time. I know I have.

Do you also have more trouble with weather changes? Those thunder storms and weather fronts can be a real pain (both literally and figuratively).

Nanjee Rookie

Thanks for your reply Donna :)

Yes - weather plays a big part in FM. I live in Wisconsin - and the humudity has been so high this summer it is sickening. Between that and the barometer going up and down several times a day - well inside with the a/c running is where I stay.

I actually feel "ill" going out into the heat and humudity.

I lived so well with FM for so long - and this set back has really been hard for me to take. I was used to going and going (like that bunny on TV !!!) - had flares - but could get them under control within a few days. Not only has the gluten intolerance thrown a wrench into the FM - but I didn't listen to my body very well - ran my own business and just kept going. Right now I have been unable to really work for the past 6-8 months. Time to get my body back into shape - one step at a time.

If nothing else - I have learned to appreciate life a little more, and not be so driven. Chronic pain certainly humbles a person. Luckily I have a good rheumy - and he is doing all he can to help me. The rest is up to me !!!

Magnesium is such a wonderful mineral - it is the most beneficial med to me right now. Pain meds cover the pain - but getting to the root of the pain is the goal.

Do you have blood levels done for red blood cell mag every so often ?? I need to get another mag level and Vit D level done again next week.

Not a fun illness - but it could be worse. More and more research is being done.

Wishing you a pain free day - and thanks again. I have printed out your message regarding the mag subq's - and will share this with my internist.

Hugs,

Nancy

cdford Contributor

I know about that heat thing! My pain levels may be much higher during the winter, but at least I can still think even through the pain meds. The heat just drains me. Being in Georgia, we get the heat and the humidity for several months out of the year. Praise God for A/C.

My blood levels have become stable for everything except my liver enzymes and my cholesterol since going gluten-free. The endo only tests once a year or so now. Just one of the long term benefits of being gluten-free...fewer needles in the long run.

Nanjee Rookie

Hi Donna - hope you don't get sick of me asking about magnesium ???!!!!!!!

When you have a few free minutes, would you be willing to share some of the background you have with Mag IM's (SubQ's) with me ??? I would really like to share this info with my internist - who has been a Godsend.

How long have you been doing the injections ? How often do you inject them ?

Can a person get TOO much magnesium ? (I don't feel that way right now - I feel like I need another injection !!!)

My internist has been SO good - he's willing to go out on a limb and try new things. He and I, I think, are both surprised as to how well the Mag IM's deliver antispasmodic properties to my muscles. Obviously - this is a VERY mush needed mineral in my body.

I have tried and tried the oral mag - all different types - and just end up with super loose stools - I don't want that again !!! :o

With the mag IM's - my intestines almost seem to "calm down". Natures own muscle relaxant !!!!

Right now my shoulders, neck, and head feel as if they were in a vice. Makes me very nauseated, and dizzy. Within one hour of injection - my head feels so much clearer - and the pain is gone.

But then to wait another week for the next injection - it's just too long of a wait. :(

My husband has now learned to give the shots - I draw them up and he injects - and I am thinking that 500 mg every 2-3 days may help me tremendously. Maybe not this dose forever - but for right now I am looking at quality of life and comfort.

I have never had FM pain this severe in 20 years - but my upper body muscles just can not release themselves. I have to call the nurse tomorrow to put in a prescription to the pharmacy.

I know some people who take 1000 mg Orally of mag every day - wish I could be one of them !!! Maybe some day ???

Thank you so much in advance for your support. Again - you will never know how much you have helped this "newbie" :) Blessings to you !!!

Hugs,

Nancy

Nanjee Rookie

I'm bumping this up for Donna .

Thank you :+)

Nancy

cdford Contributor

Thank you, Nancy. I have had a full week and haven't gotten back to this one.

I will be glad to share any info I can on the mag sulfate injections. They have been wonder drugs for me over the past few years. I began in the mid/late 90s. If your doctor would like to contact my endocrinologist who prescribed them, I'm sure Dr. Delcher would be happy to give him even more info.

I like the smaller subq shots because I can use them as needed and I get a very quick (minutes) hit from them. When my hand is curled so badly that my nails are cutting into my palm, they will begin to loosen almost before the end of the shot.

You probably can get too much magnesium, but I am not certain where that break point would be. I know that we need more than most people because our bodies do not use it properly and our muscles use too much.

You may also want to ask if you can get a prescription muscle relaxer such as Soma (gluten-free generics available) on a short term basis to let you relax a little. If the problem is just shortness of magnesium, they might not help in the long run anyway.

There is another post going right now on FMS that has a good list of meds in it. I just added it today along with a long post with encouragement and positive steps to take.

E-mail me and I will share the detailed info on the doctor if you would like it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nanjee Rookie

Hugs to you, Donna ----- email on it's way.

Such a nice person to take time to share with me ......

I just can't thank you enough :)

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...
Nanjee Rookie

Hi Donna :)

Just a quick thank you - again - for all the info regarding Mag injections.

I pick up all of my "little vials" today - 500 mg IM every 4-5 days.

We'll see if that amount is enough to cover the awful headaches and muscle spasm. Sure hope so !!!

At least my internist is willing to try - and that means so much. A good doctor never stops learning, I think.

He looked at all the info you gave me, and ordered the gluten free med.

Hope you are doing well - and that the heat and humudity isn't too bad. FM does NOT like barometer changes, or high dew points. Our barometer has been going up and down for the past 2 weeks - humidity and dew points as if this were Florida - YUCK :angry:

I truely wait for autumn - sounds crazy - but autumn in Wisconsin is the best I ever feel.

Thanks again, Donna ............

Hugs,

Nancy

Archived