6 replies to this topic

#1 xpaperbackwriterx

xpaperbackwriterx

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

Okay. So two weeks ago I ate a TINY bite of chocolate cake because, initially I never thought I had Celiac Disease, just a slight gluten intolerance, so I went gluten free (i've been gluten-free for about four months now and ive felt GREAT, no adhd meds anymore or anxiety or headaches or stomachaches). I didn't think the cake would hurt me because people without Celiac can usually eat a tiny bit of gluten (when on a gluten-free diet)and be fine. Well....I think I must have Celiac. Because my main symptoms before were serious constipation, ADHD, acid indigestion, anxiety and migraines, and I just generally felt like crap all the time. I ate that gluten and the very next day I got a really bad headache, terrible heart burn, and became so incredibly constipated its ridiculous--stool softeners and eating extensive fruits and vegetable wont help like it used to. This is like no other constipation I've ever had. And its been two weeks, and I've only gone a couple times. Its becoming dangerous. PLEASE someone tell me any ideas they have about how to recover from such awful constipation. Herbs? meds? special diet??? ANYTHING?! Thank you so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:23 PM

Exactly my symptoms and also why I think I am Coeliac and not just Gluten Intolerant. I know some people that are GI and they sneak bits of Gluten and do not get bowel blockages.... Miralax. Get thee some Miralax and use that. I ended up with Diverticulitis, antibiotics and a water diet for a week ... and that is not fun... and all caused by some mis labelled lollies that had wheat starch....so be careful and get to a Dr if worried. My Dr said if this had not worked then it would have been hospital and an IV.. The dose my Dr told me to take for this I should not say here - but it was a 'lot' of Miralax. Try a fluid diet and Miralax. If you go to hospital it will be similar treatment.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#3 glutenfreesavvy

glutenfreesavvy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

I am so sorry! I can relate...that's a problem I have to deal with when glutened too. At this point, this is what I'd do.

1. Eat dried fruits, like apricots & prunes
2. Lots of water - at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces - more if you're really active
3. Drink herbal tea that have senna, but be careful it can cause some cramping if you overdo
4. Take some slippery elm - it coats the gi tract & is soothing, as well.

Hope this helps...I feel your pain. :-)
Living Gluten Free Since January 2007
Within that 1st year, learned my 4 children & hubby were reacting to gluten as well.
I love to cook nutrient dense foods directly from the people who produce it.
Avid researcher & will spend hours reading books, research papers, scouring the internet, whatever it takes to answer my many questions about gluten intolerance & celiac disease.

Make Your Day Great!

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

Milk of magnesia from the drug store can help. I also suggest looking closely at everything you are eating to be sure it is gluten free. That includes all vitamins, meds, sodas, coffee, teas etc. Staying off processed foods for a while might help also. Being gluten free is not easy if you eat food made by other people. You really need to know what the ingredients are in everything you eat. Wash your fruit and veggies before eating or cooking them also, just in case the picked up some gluten in the grocery store during storage.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

Try a combination of the Miralax and Magnesium Oxide pills. You can get those at any pharmacy, even WalMart, it is usually held behind the counter but is not a prescription.
Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#6 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:46 PM

Okay. So two weeks ago I ate a TINY bite of chocolate cake because, initially I never thought I had Celiac Disease, just a slight gluten intolerance, so I went gluten free (i've been gluten-free for about four months now and ive felt GREAT, no adhd meds anymore or anxiety or headaches or stomachaches). I didn't think the cake would hurt me because people without Celiac can usually eat a tiny bit of gluten (when on a gluten-free diet)and be fine. Well....I think I must have Celiac. Because my main symptoms before were serious constipation, ADHD, acid indigestion, anxiety and migraines, and I just generally felt like crap all the time. I ate that gluten and the very next day I got a really bad headache, terrible heart burn, and became so incredibly constipated its ridiculous--stool softeners and eating extensive fruits and vegetable wont help like it used to. This is like no other constipation I've ever had. And its been two weeks, and I've only gone a couple times. Its becoming dangerous. PLEASE someone tell me any ideas they have about how to recover from such awful constipation. Herbs? meds? special diet??? ANYTHING?! Thank you so much!

I'm sorry I don't have any tips add but I hope you feel a lot better soon. Getting glutened sucks, whether it's by accident or through something like this. But I would encourage you to try and stay strictly gluten free from now on. Whether or not you have officially diagnosed celiac doesn't make much difference unfortunately to how our bodies react to it. There are people with severly damaged vili who don't have any noticable symptoms... others like me who test negative but feel amazingly better gluten free and who feel sick now at the tiniest crumb. So don't let a lack of a diagnosis downplay how much better you feel gluten free. And I really hope you feel well again soon.

#7 cctaylor01

cctaylor01

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, because I didn't read the entire thread, but when that happens to me (as constipation is one of my major problems), I use senna. I find that nothing else works to give me relief. You can buy it in tea form (yogi, traditional medicinals and some other brands sell it) or in pill form at the drugstore. For me it takes about 12-24 hours to work but when it works, it works.

I like it because it's a natural laxative. None of the chemical laxative stuff works for me.

I hope you feel better soon!

Claire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: